LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Those buoys along wb are indicating where there are pilings sticking out of the ground. I'm assuming they were placed there a long time ago to act as groins and help hold the sand in place. If those are the orange buoys you are talking about I'm glad most are marked off because I stepped on one when they were marked and cut my ankle/foot up pretty bad.
    No, these are new buoys are around 500 yds on either side of the "new" Crystal pier...more real estate taken from us. One more reason to head south. WB in the eighties was the bomb. Bit by bit, year by year; we've been loosing the battle. Surfers are pushed to the side for the tourist season even though we support the economy year around. The BOA and the police have turned things into a gestapo beach IMO. Yes there's still some nuggets to had, but it "ain't a gold nugget if you can't make a claim"...

that's one of the things I like about central and north california: you can surf anywhere, all year round. There's signs on the piers to stay 100 feet away, but they're never enforced...it's more like so you can't sue if you run into a piling

Images
    Oh I know what you mean. Can still get away with it most of the time, just keep an eye out for the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Those buoys along wb are indicating where there are pilings sticking out of the ground. I'm assuming they were placed there a long time ago to act as groins and help hold the sand in place. If those are the orange buoys you are talking about I'm glad most are marked off because I stepped on one when they were marked and cut my ankle/foot up pretty bad.

You're thinking of the buoy at Augusta St. Yes, that marks some uncovered pilings from an old groin.

There is also a brown buoy further South around Access 40 that marks the remains of one of the 4 sunk Civil War-era Blockade Runners on WB's South End. Thing scared the frack out of me the week before last. It's only above the surface from about mid through low tide. It was right around mid-tide and I went to paddle for a wave only to see some dark shape moving beneath the surface and creating a boil/wake right beside me. It bumped my leg and I almost pooped in my suit until I realized what it was. Totally blew the wave for me though.

Images
    Haven't seen that yet, might have to go check it out today. Probably would have freaked me out too not knowing it was right under the surface.

Cops have never given me trouble for surfing around the pier. Have drifted by crystal multiple times while cops drive by, I don't think they really care.