LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Lightbulb It's alive. Oh, it's alive, it's alive! IT'S ALIVE! Dr. Frankensteins Surfboard Lab..

So anybody who knows me, I always have surfboard projects in various stages of completion. This year is no different. So I thought I would post some photo's of this years projects. All of these boards I glued, hand-shaped, airbrushed, and glassed. Many started as one thing and became an other.

Dissect Series

A couple of years ago, I began a new project. I started to cut up some perfectly good surfboard blanks. Cutting and re-gluing them into an entirely different shape than they were intended to be. I began to call these boards "Dissects". As in dissecting them into pieces. Just like that frog you cut up in Biology class. Only I put them back together. For example, some started out as a long-board blank, and became a gun instead. Others were a gun blank and became a fish.

Missing from this thread are, Race Paddleboard, Asymmetrical s, Agave boards. Maybe another thread. When I find time, I'll add more photo's. Way more at my website.
    Barry Snyder
    http://barrysnyderdesigns.comGlue1.jpgmisc 007.jpgmisc 021.jpgmisc 035.jpgWPF project 026.jpg

Interesting. Are you using parts of the profiles from each board you are taking from in the "Dissects"?

I would really love to see some of your Agave boards as well. I know Linden has been making them and they look awesome.

thinking outside the box...very cool.

I've followed your design philosophy on minis with great success. So... thanks for that. Always interested in what your take is on things, Barry...

Images
    One of my newest passions is the use of Agave cactus. By far the most difficult material I've ever shaped. However, it is the most beautiful and rewarding. My wood shop teacher from High School would be so proud. I have spent the last 8-9 years perfecting my wood working skills to produce the most beautiful wood boards I can build. It is the same plant used for making Tequila. I utilize the stalk which grows at the end of the plants life. Agave has many varieties. The "Blue" Agave produces the biggest stalk. Many of the boards I've built from this wood actually grows on my property. Homegrown surfboards. In my shop, I have a small wood shop for cutting and gluing this wood. I utilize Agave as solid Wood boards, Stringers, Rails, Fins and nose & tail blocks.
    http://barrysnyderdesigns.comAgaves 005.jpgAgaves 018.jpgBoards 139.jpgBonzer Sm..jpgDSCN0478.jpg
    More coming soon.

Images
    Makes way more sense then a Roy sturt board

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    Makes way more sense then a Roy sturt board
    Keerist, yes.

And chucka-boo-boo should take notes from Barry & remain silent, all at the same time.

Great lookin' boards, Barry, kudos to a craftsman creating (highly) functional art.
    Last edited by yankee; Oct 21, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Those Agave boards look bad a**. Have you ridden the gun yet? That twinzer looks very fun.

cool agave boards. how do they ride? are they durable enough for constant surfing or is it more of an artsy/nich board?

I'm wondering if a stalk from a Century Plant (American Agave) is workable. I saw a couple blooming this year and it got me thinking....