LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: water temp nj

Hybrid View

water temp nj

Yesterday the surf was fun, but i made the stupid mistake of not bringing my gloves, the water temp had to be close to 50 even. Will it still be that temp wednesday/thursday?

Images
    I went in no gloves no booties yesterday. Yay south swell + storm !

Images
    those S/SW currents are the worst for water temps in the mid atlantic, because it is the optimal current direction to cause upwelling of deeper, colder water. Looks like same type of swell for mid week, so I'd expect similar water temps.

In Delmarva, I was surfing near an inlet, and it was really, really warm, because the warm bay water was mixing in - prob could have trunked it. I later then surfed another spot and it was prob 10 degrees colder. It was a very dramatic difference.

Images
    Aren't temps supposed to be at the 3/2 wetsuit stage now for the NJ area? Whats going on?! Where the f*** is global warming?!?!

Images
    Me and a few buddies when out yesterday.....I had my boots and gloves cause i knew it would be cold from the direction of the swell. My buddy went in without gloves or boots. he lasted like 20 minutes. We called him peg leg for the rest of the day. so funny he couldn't even walk. The water was 50 here in central NJ. Comon summer i need to shed this neoprene.

oc wasn't too bad. i get cold easily but i had a 4/3 and 5 mil boots and was fine. my hands were a little cold at frist. there was a bunch of different suits out there. short legs, short sleeves, 5/4/3s, basically anything you could think of. one guy was talking about going out in his shorts and a 1 mil top.

Images
    sandy hook buoy says 62.

44025 (long island) buoy says 60.

fairly normal temps I'd say, just the upwelling that made it so cold yesterday.

Images
    That inlet jetty water in July / August is like a bath.