Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 129

Thread: fish oil

  1. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

    Wow, good for you. Pick the negative in one study to fit your beliefs.
    I simply read the study thoroughly, if you had you wouldn't have posted it in support of your case.


    Still stands that most people are better off eating breakfast, and it still helps morning mental alertness.
    i disagree on both counts, I find that not eating breakfast improves alertness as the body does not have to put energy into digestion.

    .

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    I simply read the study thoroughly, if you had you wouldn't have posted it in support of your case.



    i disagree on both counts, I find that not eating breakfast improves alertness as the body does not have to put energy into digestion.

    .
    I read the studies, and wasn't focusing on one benefit. The studies disagree with you on alertness.
    I am not sure how you expect all this energy and alertness without the fuel required for both.

    http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...kfast-healthy/
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...95666303001314
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9537627

    Don't trash this thread anymore with opinions. If you are going to counter something, have enough respect to at least research and post some studies.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    This thread sucks now. Was a pretty good discussion of various diets and supplements that different guys take and we were all being fairly intelligent and academic about it. The kind of thread that peeps would come on SI for the first time and thinks it's a good place. Then this thread went down the schitter and from the looks of it, the whole weekend has been an idocracy on the forum. Glad I was busy rippin peaks in the wave pool out here in the desert and paying no mind to that rubbish! Hope the weekend went well for you braziers and that your Monday starts off well. Try and use a few more brain cells than you did here this weekend.
    As with any thread RS posts on, this one is degrading to snide remarks and opinions.

  4. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    As with any thread RS posts on, this one is degrading to snide remarks and opinions.
    Kettle and pot.

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by mushdoc View Post
    Kettle and pot.
    Right, when have I made snide remarks (when not a reply to a rude comment)? I believe I posted about the benefits of eating fruit for breakfast, but then we moved down the path of opinion. Just like the fish oil topic. I have been respectful and polite, and have been posting studies to back up my comments. What have you contributed?

  6. #116
    Ok-
    Fish oils-I am a graduate from Emory University. Practiced general medicine for 3 years and found that I was opposed to the approach of dispensing drugs for every condition. A good friend told me about his practice as a Chiropractor and the all natural approach to health appealed to me so much that I opted for a career change.
    I have been practicing as a D.C. for 12 years. I have had over 200 patients tested at either Lipid Technologies or Metametrix Clinical Lab for the Omega 3/ Omega 6 ratio.
    All of those that have taken a quality Omega 3 supplement have seen significant improvement.

    As far as should it be taken? You can find links to support whatever argument you want. I have put in a lot of time on this subject and my conclusion is that the vast majority of data proves it to be of benefit.

    Breakfast- There is no doubt that fueling up at the start of the day is best. Some people have a really hard time eating until they have been up for several hours...

    Comments- if you can't see how condescending and snarky some of your comments are then I would suggest reading through some of this thread. Posting a link and then sneering that someone is wrong because it refutes whatever link you found is evidence enough.

  7. #117
    Ok-
    Fish oils-I am a graduate from Emory University. Practiced general medicine for 3 years and found that I was opposed to the approach of dispensing drugs for every condition. A good friend told me about his practice as a Chiropractor and the all natural approach to health appealed to me so much that I opted for a career change.
    I have been practicing as a D.C. for 12 years. I have had over 200 patients tested at either Lipid Technologies or Metametrix Clinical Lab for the Omega 3/ Omega 6 ratio.
    All of those that have taken a quality Omega 3 supplement have seen significant improvement.

    As far as should it be taken? You can find links to support whatever argument you want. I have put in a lot of time on this subject and my conclusion is that the vast majority of data proves it to be of benefit.

    Breakfast- There is no doubt that fueling up at the start of the day is best. Some people have a really hard time eating until they have been up for several hours...

    Comments- if you can't see how condescending and snarky some of your comments are then I would suggest reading through some of this thread. Posting a link and then sneering that someone is wrong because it refutes whatever link you found is evidence enough.

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by mushdoc View Post
    Ok-
    Fish oils-I am a graduate from Emory University. Practiced general medicine for 3 years and found that I was opposed to the approach of dispensing drugs for every condition. A good friend told me about his practice as a Chiropractor and the all natural approach to health appealed to me so much that I opted for a career change.
    I have been practicing as a D.C. for 12 years. I have had over 200 patients tested at either Lipid Technologies or Metametrix Clinical Lab for the Omega 3/ Omega 6 ratio.
    All of those that have taken a quality Omega 3 supplement have seen significant improvement.

    As far as should it be taken? You can find links to support whatever argument you want. I have put in a lot of time on this subject and my conclusion is that the vast majority of data proves it to be of benefit.

    Breakfast- There is no doubt that fueling up at the start of the day is best. Some people have a really hard time eating until they have been up for several hours...

    Comments- if you can't see how condescending and snarky some of your comments are then I would suggest reading through some of this thread. Posting a link and then sneering that someone is wrong because it refutes whatever link you found is evidence enough.
    All but one post I made on here was straight forward, and had no comments that were snarky. Yes, I got a little rude with Royboy, but that is my response to his normal communication style. If you took them as snarky, maybe you were already judging before reading.

    As for your experience, that is good information. I am not sure what controls you used, or what other factors could be part of the study. Did you write a paper or record results? I would love to see it. Keep in mind, the study I posted was for thousands of patients. However, with the right controls, your data may be just as valid.

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    3,554
    Quote Originally Posted by mushdoc View Post
    Ok-
    Fish oils-I am a graduate from Emory University. Practiced general medicine for 3 years and found that I was opposed to the approach of dispensing drugs for every condition. A good friend told me about his practice as a Chiropractor and the all natural approach to health appealed to me so much that I opted for a career change.
    I have been practicing as a D.C. for 12 years. I have had over 200 patients tested at either Lipid Technologies or Metametrix Clinical Lab for the Omega 3/ Omega 6 ratio.
    All of those that have taken a quality Omega 3 supplement have seen significant improvement.

    As far as should it be taken? You can find links to support whatever argument you want. I have put in a lot of time on this subject and my conclusion is that the vast majority of data proves it to be of benefit.

    Breakfast- There is no doubt that fueling up at the start of the day is best. Some people have a really hard time eating until they have been up for several hours...

    Comments- if you can't see how condescending and snarky some of your comments are then I would suggest reading through some of this thread. Posting a link and then sneering that someone is wrong because it refutes whatever link you found is evidence enough.
    It would be very interesting to see what response you get with the same study population if they just ate lots of fish during the same time period. Would they achieve the same, better or worse results? Because most people on this thread that are refuting fish oil are refuting the source of the oil as being degrading to the balance of the oceans food chain. The anti fish oil caucus is saying rather than eat fish oil, just eat fish. This way the krill and the menheden can flourish and sustain the rest of the fishies.

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    11,885
    Images
    6
    Krill and menhaden > humanity.