LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: fish oil

Images
    My choice- Glucosamine

2. Fish Oil

Fish Oil is good for health but it should be prescribed by a doctor. It is helpful for complete program of treatment that include diet, exercise and weight control. There are many drugs that interact with fish oil.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrichard View Post
    Fish Oil is good for health but it should be prescribed by a doctor. It is helpful for complete program of treatment that include diet, exercise and weight control. There are many drugs that interact with fish oil.
    Obviously you missed the posts with studies showing fish oil supplements do not allow for proper absorption of Omega 3. Just eat fish, cause it is healthy and tastes good. Also, it is a good source of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    I should have been more specific, japanese, no likey Thai

who am I kidding. f*ck you are right
    yah farang

Quote Originally Posted by RID View Post
    I has been widely shown that multi vitamins have little to no health benefit. The body is not able to absorb the vitamins in these capsules. The majority of the pill you take comes right out the other side.

The idea that because a carrot is healthy and contains a lot of beta carotene, therefore isolating beta carotene into a pill will have the same effect is flawed thinking. Food science is still in its infancy and the way various vitamins and nutrients in a particular type food interact to create a positive health benefit is not understood.

Feel free to waste your money on vitamins. Most likely any positive effects you are feeling is just a placebo.

to get actual nutrients your body can use eat lots of fruits, vegetables and wild caught fish. its as easy as that.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/vitamins

http://live.wsj.com/video/do-vitamin...9-AE08E355B787
    +1....so true. I was gonna post something to this effect. Multi-vitamins for the most part are just slick advertising just like bottled water. Waste of money. Eat organic/non-GMO vegetables..plain and simple.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backside hack View Post
    +1....so true. I was gonna post something to this effect. Multi-vitamins for the most part are just slick advertising just like bottled water. Waste of money. Eat organic/non-GMO vegetables..plain and simple.
    true that...yet i still take a multi-vitamin for back-up. cheap enough and it can't hurt....but as you (and others have pointed out), it prolly gets pissed right on out.

but eating a whole foods diet can be a challenge, in terms of time and money. it's a constant race to keep the kitchen stocked with fresh produce, use it before it goes bad, prep time etc etc. i've refined some techniques over the years.

e.g. i've distilled breakfast down to whatever I can stuff into a Magic Bullet, which will reduce pretty much anything organic into a drinkable slurry (no, it's not a VitaMix, but it's not $400 either).

leftover pieces of apple, tomato, pear, carrot, squash, pepper, cukes, frozen berries, celery, cabbage, kale, spinach, peanut butter, ginger - just about any fruit or veg you have on hand. add a splash of soy or almond milk to liquify and a scoop of protein powder and you have a filling nutritionally-dense breakfast. don't forget the fruit - a certain amount seems necessary as a sweetener, at least for my taste buds.

Images
    Aside from this "Feel free to waste your money on vitamins. Most likely any positive effects you are feeling is just a placebo." and this "yeah, everything is tainted and dangerous these days... that's why the average lifespan has been increasing moderately over the course of time.", great thread.
    The taint? Fluoride in all tap water, gmo's, mercury in the fish, radioactive isotopes in the fish, non organic (most common) fertilizer that's absorbed by crops most of the population eats, the air....... Blah blah blah I could go on but seriously, where do u live Hinmo? These contaminants don't exist in your area? Do you have an untainted spring or a $200 water filter?
    The placebo? I used to take Centrum Performance. I would feel sharper and get sick less. Any times I stopped taking them I could easily notice the difference in how I felt. The same goes for my joint supplement vita packs from GNC. The joint supps make me way more functional at work and in the water. Again if I stop taking them, soon after a much higher level of arthritic crustiness sets in fo sho. When I start back up with the joint supps I don't feel the benefits for a week or so. It's real, I know my body well.
    My orthopedic doc told me to take glucosamine, condroitin, and msm to help my knee and other joints. I went to gnc for triflex and wound up getting the mega man vita pack because it had fish oil and a multi vitamin on top of the joint supps. Even though I wear gold chains over my wetsuit, I'm not a meat head guido for going to gnc. I'm just trying to feel better. My knee is a serious issue and it always hurts, it's a matter of how much I can control the pain. Dislocated shoulder, 2x broken elbow, both ankles broken, 2x broken wrist, 2 knee surgeries (didn't walk for 6 months, had to re-learn, 1yr pt, can never run again), and the list goes on. I use ice and electric stimulation often. My knee is repaired but still a shadow of what it was. My orthopedic told me that I would need to give my knee and other injuries constant attention and physical therapy to maintain some level of comfort and functionality. That was 10 years ago and he's definitely right. I eat a well balanced diet and get plenty of exercise for sure. I grow an organic garden and fish all year. I love fish and am so saddened by pollution and commercial fishing. I didn't properly consider where the fish oil was coming from and will adjust my ways in regard to that.
    Some of you guys my be too young to relate to how it feels to be well into your thirties and this banged up. I was crazy and wish I was more careful, idk I had a sh*t ton of fun too.
    So the input on this thread was awesome and I learned some stuff. Thanks for that.
    I'm left wondering how I can help my joints as effectively without the joint supps?

I do the "joint juice." I've tried the glucosamine, condroitin pills but they had no effect after using them faithfully for a month. Knowing that the ingredients are mostly ground up shell fish, I figured the pills were probably "just passin' through." As far as multi- vitamins I've switched to gummies for the same reason. Those rock hard multis probably go through your system like corn...
    Work outs? Just be active. Find something that is athletic, fun and gets your heart rate up. Ultimate frisbee, biking, running, sex. All the aforementioned at the same time. I have that book on exercises for surfing. Keep it interesting and change it up or you will get bored and quit.

Agree about vitamins. I do take some B12 since I don't eat many foods that contain it (primarily meat), and it's an important one. Other than that, read the China Study or watch Forks Over Knives. Very interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Aside from this "Feel free to waste your money on vitamins. Most likely any positive effects you are feeling is just a placebo." and this "yeah, everything is tainted and dangerous these days... that's why the average lifespan has been increasing moderately over the course of time.", great thread.
    The taint? Fluoride in all tap water, gmo's, mercury in the fish, radioactive isotopes in the fish, non organic (most common) fertilizer that's absorbed by crops most of the population eats, the air....... Blah blah blah I could go on but seriously, where do u live Hinmo? These contaminants don't exist in your area? Do you have an untainted spring or a $200 water filter?
    The placebo? I used to take Centrum Performance. I would feel sharper and get sick less. Any times I stopped taking them I could easily notice the difference in how I felt. The same goes for my joint supplement vita packs from GNC. The joint supps make me way more functional at work and in the water. Again if I stop taking them, soon after a much higher level of arthritic crustiness sets in fo sho. When I start back up with the joint supps I don't feel the benefits for a week or so. It's real, I know my body well.
    My orthopedic doc told me to take glucosamine, condroitin, and msm to help my knee and other joints. I went to gnc for triflex and wound up getting the mega man vita pack because it had fish oil and a multi vitamin on top of the joint supps. Even though I wear gold chains over my wetsuit, I'm not a meat head guido for going to gnc. I'm just trying to feel better. My knee is a serious issue and it always hurts, it's a matter of how much I can control the pain. Dislocated shoulder, 2x broken elbow, both ankles broken, 2x broken wrist, 2 knee surgeries (didn't walk for 6 months, had to re-learn, 1yr pt, can never run again), and the list goes on. I use ice and electric stimulation often. My knee is repaired but still a shadow of what it was. My orthopedic told me that I would need to give my knee and other injuries constant attention and physical therapy to maintain some level of comfort and functionality. That was 10 years ago and he's definitely right. I eat a well balanced diet and get plenty of exercise for sure. I grow an organic garden and fish all year. I love fish and am so saddened by pollution and commercial fishing. I didn't properly consider where the fish oil was coming from and will adjust my ways in regard to that.
    Some of you guys my be too young to relate to how it feels to be well into your thirties and this banged up. I was crazy and wish I was more careful, idk I had a sh*t ton of fun too.
    So the input on this thread was awesome and I learned some stuff. Thanks for that.
    I'm left wondering how I can help my joints as effectively without the joint supps?
    The fluoride added to water is much lower than natural sourced fluoride in well water all over the country, and many studies have shown these levels to be harmless (aside from the bs you will read on natural news). Mercury is in fish, but shouldn't cause health issues if you limit consumption, by eating it 2-3 days a week. GMO's are still not proven by any legitimate study to cause harm to humans. What has been proven, is that most of the supplements you take in pill form are not absorbed by your body. Most, but not all Fish oil is definitely one in the most category. There are some parts of the aging process that you can't stop or slow down. If you didn't take care of your joints, or were born with joint issues, you may just have to take the pain. Except use and a balanced diet will still do more for you that fish oil.