LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 132

Thread: fish oil

  1. #61
    You missed the main point in my post , which pointed out the fatal logical error in your argument.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    You missed the main point in my post , which pointed out the fatal logical error in your argument.
    My argument is that supplements, specifically fish oil, does not work to provide omega-3 to your body. It is just passed through and not absorbed. You are better off eating fish.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    You missed the main point in my post , which pointed out the fatal logical error in your argument.
    My argument was that fish oil supplements do not provide omega-3 to your body as it is not absorbed. Thus, the supplements are not really doing much for your heart. I have never argued that omega-3 does nothing for you. I posted that link because spicoli wanted some links to studies. Eat fish, fock supplements. Now, maybe you should start from the beginning. This side argument you are attempting to rile up is unwanted and not in line with the original topic.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

    My argument is that supplements, specifically fish oil, does not work to provide omega-3 to your body. It is just passed through and not absorbed. You are better off eating fish.

    I'm interested to know whether or not this is true, but having experienced immediate results from ingestion of fish oil (i.e within a few minutes) I very much doubt it.

    Please correct me if I am mistaken but the studies which you posted concentrated on subjects who were also taking heart and/or cancer medication. Is that correct? If so it seems likely that the conclusions would not apply to those who are not taking other medication.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,366
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    , but having experienced immediate results from ingestion of fish oil (i.e within a few minutes) I very much doubt it.

    .
    Dosed fish oil???

  6. #66
    Bait oil sometimes, smoked kahawai sometimes, cod liver oil in a bottle sometimes.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    4,366
    Images
    6
    But how do you feel it w/in minutes unless it's dosed?

  8. #68
    Straight fish oil seems to have an immediate effect.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    I'm interested to know whether or not this is true, but having experienced immediate results from ingestion of fish oil (i.e within a few minutes) I very much doubt it.

    Please correct me if I am mistaken but the studies which you posted concentrated on subjects who were also taking heart and/or cancer medication. Is that correct? If so it seems likely that the conclusions would not apply to those who are not taking other medication.
    I think you are assuming too much. With 60000 people in the study, it is highly unlikely they all were on medication. In fact, if you read the full study, it claims to have a portion of participants with no heart problems. Here is a reason a previous study was flawed:
    While some early studies did show a significant benefit from taking fish oil pills, data from newer clinical trials weakened that effect. That may be because at least one early, important study did not blind participants or researchers, meaning that everyone knew who was taking omega-3s or placebo.


    As for your immediate results, are you saying your heart feels different?
    Here is the best way to describe any immediate effects: http://science.howstuffworks.com/lif...ebo-effect.htm

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,504