LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 132

Thread: fish oil

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Perhaps assuming but, hardly 'insinuating' which implies devious and unpleasant motives and method. I'm just interested in what's going on.

    There are no numbers given for the percentage of patients in the study who are on medication. but various drugs are mentioned frequently throughout the literature.

    So we don't know, and as far as I'm concerned that means suspending judgement.
    But we do know that consuming fish is more helpful for your health, which was in the other link I posted on the last page. So, why waste money on supplements when you can just eat something healthy. Besides, fish oil supplements are known to spoil, and most consumers don't even realize it.

  2. #82
    Getting advice regarding your health on a surf forum is roughly equal to getting surf tips on the new Obamacare website.

    Except...you can actually use this site. OK, maybe that's why people are using this forum.

    Can I get a quote here?

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,184
    Quote Originally Posted by mushdoc View Post
    Getting advice regarding your health on a surf forum is roughly equal to getting surf tips on the new Obamacare website.

    Except...you can actually use this site. OK, maybe that's why people are using this forum.

    Can I get a quote here?
    On a whim I called and talked to this very nice person named Peggy:


  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rehoboth
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    On a whim I called and talked to this very nice person named Peggy:

    ]

    Thanks for the stomach cramps ......LOL ..........

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    But we do know that consuming fish is more helpful for your health, which was in the other link I posted on the last page. So, why waste money on supplements when you can just eat something healthy. Besides, fish oil supplements are known to spoil, and most consumers don't even realize it.
    Reasons why people would choose to supplement:
    1) Fish is expensive
    2) Good, fresh fish isn't accessible some places
    3) Fish takes time and effort to prepare
    4) Not everyone likes the taste of seafood

    You're preaching to the choir, as I eat as much fish weekly as anyone here. I don't find that most people really like it enough to invest in it or put forth effort preparing it. Aside from Roy, did anyone here ever say that fish oil capsules were better than eating actual fish? Can't believe we are still talking about fish oil capsules. Yes, I know the thread us titled fish oil. It's been a good thread though in its deviance.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    573
    What about that whole "fish burps" thing? I can honestly say that the prospect of fishy burps has kept me from taking a fish oil supplement. I mean, that sounds hellaciously disgusting, does it not?

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ethernet
    Posts
    2,253
    may antecdotal evidence? I drop mad greasy douces when I have that fish oil pill
    concentrated plant extracts seem to make sense to me but concentrated animal extracts? I am put off.

    Emass, if you catch the fish yourself, its fresh, there are lakes everywhere and catfish and tilapia eat their own waste. A backyard aquaponics setup is under 1k or even far far less depending on size...so if you are controlling the input (food) to the system, the fish are good to go even with their coprophagous habits.

    my point is with minimal effort fresh fish is available ANYWHERE. I will have pics of my setup posted in a few weeks, tilapia arent much sought after, but they are food and if you know the history start to finish (egg to plate) they are THAT much better

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    What about that whole "fish burps" thing? I can honestly say that the prospect of fishy burps has kept me from taking a fish oil supplement. I mean, that sounds hellaciously disgusting, does it not?
    If they're anything like those from flax oil, ya they're bad.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post

    Aside from Roy, did anyone here ever say that fish oil capsules were better than eating actual fish?

    .
    Firstly I have never suggested that fish oil capsules are better than fish.

    Secondly I don't eat fish oil capsules.

    I hope that clarifies the matter for you.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

    But we do know that consuming fish is more helpful for your health, which was in the other link I posted on the last page. So, why waste money on supplements when you can just eat something healthy. Besides, fish oil supplements are known to spoil, and most consumers don't even realize it.
    Where I am living fresh fish is not available. I eat it when i go to the coast. At other times I sometimes use cod liver oil, which is sold in a bottle. I used to eat Canadian sardines often but not since Fukushima, I also used to eat tinned mackerel from Chile but have stopped since everything available now is from Thailand and tastes like crap.

    Cod liver oil has some vitamin d so I use it at the end of winter. The immediate effect we notice is the body warming up, with improved circulation in the face and extremities.