LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuit Fit?

Wetsuit Fit?

Always wondered this, how should a wetsuit really fit on someone? Is it best to get a suit that is tight on your skin or should it be lightly loose? Ive always had one that was tight around my chest and my thighs, is this correct or have I been a kook

Too tight around the chest and thighs? Get a girls wetsuit....

Quote Originally Posted by Onelove87 View Post
    Always wondered this, how should a wetsuit really fit on someone? Is it best to get a suit that is tight on your skin or should it be lightly loose? Ive always had one that was tight around my chest and my thighs, is this correct or have I been a kook
    A wetsuit, as opposed to a drysuit, works by keeping insulated pockets of water in between your skin and the suit. Once your body warms the water up, the pockets keep you warm, thanks to the high specific heat of H20.

The larger the pocket of water, the warmer you will be. Thus you should always aim for large pockets in the most crucial areas of warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashdog View Post
    A wetsuit, as opposed to a drysuit, works by keeping insulated pockets of water in between your skin and the suit. Once your body warms the water up, the pockets keep you warm, thanks to the high specific heat of H20.

The larger the pocket of water, the warmer you will be. Thus you should always aim for large pockets in the most crucial areas of warmth.
    The tighter it is, the better. Less water gets exchanged and your body stays warmer.A thin layer of water is all you need to stay nice n toasty

Quote Originally Posted by Mvsurfer View Post
    The tighter it is, the better. Less water gets exchanged and your body stays warmer.A thin layer of water is all you need to stay nice n toasty
    That might work for you, with a 7mm suit. 7mm and up to, say, 10mm, and you can get away with a thin pocket of water.

If your wetsuit is really tight, how do you fit the heat packs underneath it?

A XXXL 1mm suit should fit like a large garbage bag and provide enough space for a sufficient number of heat packs to keep you warm in any conditions. Why would you want the heat packs rubbing against your skin? That's just annoying.

local surf shops are usually good at helping you find the proper fit.

Images
    tight all around- except you need to have it not too tight that it would be unflexable. check out different brands- they are all cut a little different-example- im tall and thin- ripcurl and quicksilver seem to fit the best for me...

you want it to be tight agains your skin- but still have flex- specially in your shoulders. armpits can be loose-but you will lose warmth. make sure its not too tight across your back/shoulder blades- or else it will cause you pain after paddling for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mvsurfer View Post
    I agree...a snug fit allows just a bit of water to seep in slowly = warmest, lightest.

You couldn't be more wrong.
    Wetsuits do not keep you warm by "large pocket's of water". they keep you warm by the tiny cells in neoprene filling with water and the thin layer of water between your body and the suit which are then heated by your body warmth.
    A wetsuit should not have any large pockets...if it does, it's too big for you.

That might work for you, with a 7mm suit. 7mm and up to, say, 10mm, and you can get away with a thin pocket of water.

If your wetsuit is really tight, how do you fit the heat packs underneath it?

A XXXL 1mm suit should fit like a large garbage bag and provide enough space for a sufficient number of heat packs to keep you warm in any conditions. Why would you want the heat packs rubbing against your skin? That's just annoying.
    I mean, you could say that more warm water corresponds to a warmer wetsuit, but that isn't really the case. Once all those tiny neoprene cells fill with water and there's a thin layer of water between your skin, all you need is a little bit of body heat to heat that thin layer of water and neoprene. A baggy wetsuit results in water being exchanged, so all that energy that your body used to heat up the water you had is wasted. Just one thin layer in whatever it is, my 7 mil or just a 3-2, is the best way to go. There's a reason they glue and Blindstich seams on nicer wetsuits, to keep that layer of water warm and prevent it from being exchanged