LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Single Fins. Past, present, future. Show us what you got...

So as a child of the seventies, my first surfboard was a Russel single fin. 7'2\". Beat up, but ride-able.Took it home, fixed all dings with my dads Bondo, and proceeded to paint bottom and rails blue. White deck with a blue Lightning bolt. My first board. And also my first airbrush job. Surfed it for a year and traded it for a Twin-fin. Which I also painted. But that's a different story. Since then I have always had a love for single fins. Their lines and the simplicity of one fin. And the ride. The way they flow. and smooth out your style. Not to mention how they ride the tube! So the last couple years I have built a few. Mostly pintails. Some sorta retro. Some very modern. Here's a few.
    Barry Snyder
    http://barrysnyderdesigns.com />Agaves 005.jpgDSCN0481.jpgMisc boards 007.jpgMisc, WPF's 009.jpgmisc 021.jpg
    Last edited by BSnyder; Oct 24, 2013 at 04:33 AM.

My uncle had a McCoy single Circa 1972-4 or something like that. It must have been around 6'8 to 7', leash loop hole cut into the fin, and I absolutely freaking loved riding it. Too bad it was underneath a house that got demolished after Hurricane Fran and no one was around to save it....

Short story:

When I was a grom my folks used to ground me from riding my shortboard if I got below a B in a class, was late for something and/or for one of the many, many times I did something to piss them off. This McCoy was my go-to board for the days I was grounded. I surfed it in anything from knee high wind slop, chunky and closed out hurricane swell and super long mushburgers in the various inlets I surf. It was lightning fast and actually turned pretty easy thanks to my uncle's home-grown/shade tree diy cut out fin. Oh man, the memories.

I've never seen another board like it, and I've been looking for a long, long time.

RIP Magic McCoy

i've got a couple that i'll snap pics of later today if i get the time. do bonzers count? they're kinda like a highly evolved single

in the meantime, care to expound a bit on that little black railed, stringless job, barry? that thing looks killer!

Images
    That board is one of my "Dissect" series.
    6'6" x 21.0" x 2.75"
    Multiple glue ups.
    No stringer.
    The glue lines act as small stringers.
    Just more evenly distributed.
    Rail grooves on the deck also help to stiffen board.Sigle fin shot.jpgMisc, WPF's 007.jpgMisc, WPF's 008.jpgMisc, WPF's 009.jpgGlue1.jpg
    http://barrysnyderdesigns.com

Images
    Yeah I do Bonzer (Inspired) boards too.
    Kinda a Single Fin.
    WPF Project 010.jpgWPF Project 001.jpgWPF Project 002.jpg
    http://barrysnyderdesigns.com
    Last edited by BSnyder; Oct 25, 2013 at 02:37 AM.

black deck that's gnarly! cool shape, though! love the use of max macdonald's e-wing concept on that first one!

Barry, if you ever want to take a trip to the world's most exotic surf destination--Cape Fear area, NC--you've got a free place to stay, free food, free booze and a couple fishing trips thrown in just let me know.

All you have to do is bring at least one of each design. I understand the airlines and/or shipping may be pricey, so I'll be sympathetic if you have to leave a hand full of boards here... I'll try and make room for them...

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    black deck that's gnarly! cool shape, though! love the use of max macdonald's e-wing concept on that first one!
    I love that board! I love a black deck in the winter. Summer down here? Not as much, but I'd still rock that board.

Dang those boards are pretty. That yellow SF would look great in the corner next to my prized mexican velvet Elvis painting. I wouldn't feel right waxing and denting them all up. Do you do quick and dirty clear sanded finish? Something I can get to know and wouldn't feel bad about putting my stupid knee dents in? Or when my kids wack it on the beach access. Or drop a pyramid sinker on the bottom like a dagger. Or throw a beach chair on top of it in the van. Or push it with their knuckle to see if it will dent. Or nose dive in the shorebreak and break the tip off.