LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear Problems?

Quote Originally Posted by epictetus View Post
    I have a pair of fancy "docs" these are the ones that are a hard piece that fits into your ear, I find that they are not that good when you get hit by a wave etc. I just use cheap silicone ones instead (Target has 12-packs of clear ones for like $3.50) sometimes. I find they help a lot with wind/cold as well as keeping water out
    Docs are soft silicon, not really a hard piece. You have to get them sized by someone that knows what they are doing, or buy the complete sizing kit.

Images
    I've been using the MACKS (sp?) silicone ear plugs... I really can't hear very well, which stinks, but they do a good job, and rarely fall out. I did try the DOCs plugs, but they were falling out for me.

thanks for the reviews sounds like I might go with the Macks first and maybe the Docs

If you do get the Docs get the vented ones as mentioned... they let sound in and also will allow any water out that does happen to find its way in..get the right size and you are good to go..haven't had one pop out on me yet.

just confused on the sizing chart they have on the website hopefully a dive shop can help me out

Quote Originally Posted by Onelove87 View Post
    just confused on the sizing chart they have on the website hopefully a dive shop can help me out
    If you're refering to Doc's the dive or surf shop will have a disinfected one you can try on.

Images
    a little rubbing alcohol after a session in each ear helps dry out the ear cavity and stops you from getting a infection . my ear problems usually come from water stying trapped in ear too long after session

Images
    I prefer to just put some ear drops in after each session. Non prescription ear-drying agents are at pretty much any walgreens, rite aid, etc. I've had no problems with ear-aches but then again im only surfing in high 50 degree waters in the winter

If you have a few bucks handy, I advocate getting custom surfer's plugs made. Get a mold of your ears by an audiologist, and then have the molds sent to westone, they make a custom fit silicone plug drilled to you can hear. Retaining string helps keep ou for losing them. I figure, better plugs that fit and work bought once for $100 than buying docs over and over . . . .

You have to go to a dive shop to get fitted for Doc's - then they usually don't fall out. They also have a leash. Plus they float. If they did fall out, I find them in the tide line. Def go with some type that's vented, so you can hear out there.

Don't screw around, get something good Doc's, macks whatever - Plugs saved me from vertigo attacks, almost had to give up surfing.