LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Dawn Patrol Solar Eclipse this Sunday, 11/3

Seems like it will be visible along the whole East Coast for about 45 minutes after sunrise.
    http://www.space.com/23414-dramatic-...st-sunday.html

Here's what it'll look like just after sunrise:

Never surfed with welder's goggles before...
    http://www.space.com/15614-sun-obser...fographic.html

I very rarely surf at sunrise, but when I do....Thanks for the heads up bro. I was actually planning on a DP session Sunday, since I have to help my wife set up a booth at the local green market pre dawn. She sells hot pepper jelly, chutneys, spice rubs, chili powders, etc. "The Red Hot Shelly Pepper". is the name. Any way, I would have gone blind. Although with daylight savings being rescinded, it might be a non issue. Forewarned is forearmed. I will have my white helmet, full welders apparel, and a periscopic umbrella on hand.

There was a light show this evening out there. Thanks for the heads up for Sunday's viewing.

Ryan

I'll be out there. Thanks for the warning, maybe I'll wait and bring a camera or just burn my retinas out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan7 View Post
    There was a light show this evening out there. Thanks for the heads up for Sunday's viewing.
    Ryan
    Yes... absolutely stunning light show yesterday. Actually got in a solo sesh at a beach I've not surfed in several months...late afternoon till dark... with the sky lit up blazing red. In between the glowing clouds was the brightest blue imaginable. Just one of those dumb luck things... right place, right time.

The other day, for some reason, knowing there were no waves, I suddenly got the urge to check the surf. Just spontaneously... pulled over and climbed up the seawall. At least 80-100 dolphins cruising south just off the beach. Must have been a quarter mile long pod... just breaching and diving. Amazing....

Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut...

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Yes... absolutely stunning light show yesterday. Actually got in a solo sesh at a beach I've not surfed in several months...late afternoon till dark... with the sky lit up blazing red. In between the glowing clouds was the brightest blue imaginable. Just one of those dumb luck things... right place, right time.

The other day, for some reason, knowing there were no waves, I suddenly got the urge to check the surf. Just spontaneously... pulled over and climbed up the seawall. At least 80-100 dolphins cruising south just off the beach. Must have been a quarter mile long pod... just breaching and diving. Amazing....

Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut...
    I was watching the Monmouth beach cam as the sun went down. Looked like so much fun. I saw some drama as three guys jumped in just as a 5 wave set came and got rejected and tumbled back to the beach. They were between the jetties just south of the camera and there weren't as many easy paths to the line up as there were in front of the camera. As the camera panned back and forth it looked like one guy somehow got hurt; he hobbled out of the surf and face planted into the sand and laid there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    I was watching the Monmouth beach cam as the sun went down. ... I saw some drama as three guys jumped in just as a 5 wave set came and got rejected and tumbled back to the beach.
    It was surprisingly heavy. Overhead sets would be kinda fat and slopey on the takeoff, but then bowl up really thick and dump. Saw a bunch of waves spit... so you know it had some power. Not the greatest form, but the occasional wave would line up really well from the outside all the way to the beach. A couple times it was two waves and I was down the beach... having to get out and walk back up.

This morning looked kinda crappy... went for a sail/fished instead. Maybe get another sunset session in later...
    Last edited by LBCrew; Nov 2, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Last nigh was surprisingly chunky before dark.
    Went to Long Island today. Clean and overhead for DP. The rest of the day was clean and head high. Surfed 3 times and had good waves all 3...

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    It was surprisingly heavy. Overhead sets would be kinda fat and slopey on the takeoff, but then bowl up really thick and dump. Saw a bunch of waves spit... so you know it had some power. Not the greatest form, but the occasional wave would line up really well from the outside all the way to the beach. A couple times it was two waves and I was down the beach... having to get out and walk back up.

This morning looked kinda crappy... went for a sail/fished instead. Maybe get another sunset session in later...

Hybrid eclipse. On average in history, only happens once per 8.8 years. However, it's only scheduled to happen 7 times in this century since it occurs in cycles. I'm flying out at sunrise in the AM so I could witness this but it's supposed to be raining. Figures.