LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Julia gulia, some of us like reefs and points too not just sand bars. Even if you do move in close proximity to a good break, don't forget about the others within a drive. As I just mentioned in another thread the home breaks aren't cookin this weekend like those a state away.

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    Find the beach break you like and move there. Don't rely on the military. I haven't heard of any good breaks in Afghanistan. Besides, it's easier to surf with all of your limbs attached.
    Amen julia! amen!

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    I'll add something...Don't join the military. It's a racket.
    And don't take my word for it...take
    two time Medal of Honor recipient, Maj. General Smedley Butler's word for it:
    http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html

"Originally printed in 1935, War Is a Racket is General Smedley Butler's frank speech describing his role as a soldier as nothing more than serving as a puppet for big-business interests...."
    Last edited by babybabygrand; Nov 1, 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyPedro View Post
    I wonder if anyone ever surfed Diego Garcia; that place looks amazing for driving, fishing, etc. The gov barely acknowledges that it exists. It's in the Indian Ocean if you've never heard of it.
    Smack-dab in the center of the Indian Ocean, the windswept, remote Chagos Archipelago is surprisingly devoid of surf spots. Most of its coralline structures are submerged reefs, and of its seven above-water atolls, Diego Garcia is the most well known, home to a USA/UK Navy and Marines installation. The only way you can access Diego Garcia is by joining the military, but you still won’t be able to surf there. The atoll is strictly off-limits to the public, and it’s actually illegal to surf, even for the troops who are stationed there. They are only allowed to swim in the lagoon.
    Here's an old article about the place

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/surf.html

very good on the smedley butler link bbg

MIS and BBG,
    I respect your opinions and I know from your previous posts that you guys do not speak form ignorance but gather your info through research but I disagree with the general statement that no one should go in the military.
    Smedley Butler probably didn't grow up poor white trash or as a poor minority in the ghetto. For some it is the only way out. I always tell people if I hadn't joined USMC, I'd have ended up dead or in prison. Well, I only ended up in prison! I was a little older than the other recruits so I was able to see through some of bullsh!t. I also was able to surf Topsail from time to time and I grew to really dig SE NC Thought I was going to stay there but NJ sucked me back in. Had I stayed I probably don't do time.

Chavez, you are right it does help some people, but it helps the corporate masters even more.
    It would be great to give young folks a chance at success if it didn't involve enforcing violence to make foreign gvts cater to multinational corporations.

I was a Seabee stationed at Port Hueneme CA. in the '80's. We would deploy overseas for 8 months, and then come back to home port at Hueneme for 6-7 months. When back, we had little to do apart from an occasional school. We lived off the base in a beach front condo. We would get up at 5am, surf for an hour and a half, throw on our uniforms, and report for "morning quarters". As we bent over during calisthenics the salt water
    would pour out of our sinuses and make puddles on the asphalt. The fat ****s smoking their cigarettes and drinking their coffee would look at us like we were nuts. If the conditions were still good we'd be back in the water by 9am, not having to report back until 1pm. What a life.
    We surfed that coast from Pt. Magu north to Rincon. The locals could pick us out as military as in those days no one had short hair, but we didn't give a ****, we just move down the beach a bit. What a time.

I also deployed to Diego Garcia for 8 months, and can tell you that there was no surfing there. There was a reef that went all the way around that U-shaped island, and no openings in the reef except at the harbor mouth, and if you could of found or made a board, they wouldn't have let you surf there anyway.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Julia gulia, some of us like reefs and points too not just sand bars. Even if you do move in close proximity to a good break, don't forget about the others within a drive. As I just mentioned in another thread the home breaks aren't cookin this weekend like those a state away.
    So true Emass! Driving distance is always good and rents are more affordable!!

I grew up and work around Navy bases. Although having never served active duty, if I can go back to my 20s, I would have joined the Reserves. I can keep my normal 9-5 and still have access to surf breaks within military bases.