LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Puerto Rico or Northern Costa first week in December

trying to decide between puerto and costa for a trip with two buddies and our girls and would like to keep expenses minimal without being concerned for our health and wellness
    guys want to surf; chicks want to sit on the beach
    i know we can each have a small no frills casita in Negra for $15/ a day or a room in Grande for $400/wk but will need a car $550/wk to surf anywhere but the place you sleep. I figure $30 a day for food and drink per person will be more than enough.
    flights are going to be around $5-550. other than tipping to make sure your car isnt ransacted there arent many other expenses although i havent been in a year and a half.
    Please let me know if times/prices have changed in Costa and any insight on Puerto Rico would be great
    All i know of Puerto is the flight is going to be about $350 tops from the tri state.
    what is the cost of living food, beers, room and board, tequilla, board rentals in case we break some
    do we defintely need a car/truck to surf or can you plant somewhere?
    any other need to knows about PR would be appreciated as well

the thing about Costa is that you can walk home if you had to.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    the thing about Costa is that you can walk home if you had to.
    this is priceless

FME prices are about the same in either place . Puerto can get really flat but can really pump that time of year. Costa will always have something to ride but you're probably not likely to see an epic swell. You need a car in PR for sure. You don't NEED a car in CR but with 4 people you will spend as much using pub transport so just get one. have fun

Go to nicaragua. Flight is more expensive but everything else is cheaper and the waves are better.

In Central pacific CR now, and would definitely say CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
    In Central pacific CR now, and would definitely say CR.
    *shaking fist at you* I managed to bodysurf some sub 2' lines at lunch... moon jellies everywhere.

I'll be heading to PR at the end of next week, hope to at least get some fun ones like it looks you are right now!

to refine my questions. I want obviously want the best surf i can get but holidays are around to corner so i want to keep it somewhat inexpensive. Nicaragua is on my list but for a surf trip with the guys; not leaving the girls alone while i surf all day. If PR and CR expenses are the same and i'll need a vehicle in both places it would make most sense to head to PR to save on flights. Just sucks to be a coin toss from epic to flat when i know CR will be consistent

boohoo me and my problems right

Rincon

I just got back from Rincon. Flew into Sanjuan and rented a car from enterprise for $88 total for 5 days (plus a little extra due to tolls on the way). The drive was a little far, over 2 1/2 hours. But you could take a tiny plane from SJU to Aguadilla for cheap, and get a rental car there.

Stayed at a place called barefoot adventures (nice house in a good location). My wife and I stayed in a 1 bd room studio for $50 a night. They also have a top floor with 3 bed rooms available.

The waves were actually flat in Rincon but we drove up to Isabela every day to get the direct N swell. About an hour drive. There's almost always a little 2-3 foot wave there year round. But if you're going in a month or so the Waves are almost guaranteed in Rincon. We got a surf instructor, Colin, to take us to the best spots. He also finds the best wave with the smallest crowd, no matter what your skill level. He knows the reef and the best entry and exit points at all the spots. Highly recommend letting him take you out at least one day to learn the area. They have plenty of places to rent all ranges of boards. Normally, $25 for half day. The beaches aren't big but they're safe. We went in October so it wasn't crowded anywhere, but this will be different by mid November.

Hope this helps.

Also, tons of good restaurants to eat out. However, it can get pricey, esp if you're buying drinks. Could always go to the grocery store and get meals to fix for the group to save $$.

For the girls, lots of places close by to go do yoga during the day. Could paddle board or snorkel too if you wanna check out the reef.

Once we got back from surfing around 9 or 10, we didn't do much for the rest of the day but eat and relax.