LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Is California really better then New Jersey??

In the future I may have the opportunity to go work in California in the upcoming spring and summer, so during my research I am trying to decided what part of California to relocate to for this time period. While looking at what surf spots to base my travels, it seemed like many of the spots are fairly inconsistent (by Californians' standards). I have grown up surfing in Ocean City, New Jersey my whole life. So my question is, for the spring and summer seasons, is California really that much better then Ocean City? Water temperature is warmer here, but sometimes I feel like I'm fighting with hordes of people over 2ft. waves, so is California that much more consistent, and worth a 4/3 up north? or will one still be fighting crowds and inconsistent surf that time of the year, just in colder water? Wanted to hear from some Jersey people who have had a real sense of both sides of the coin. Thanks for any advice.

Ocean City, NJ is way better than Cali, is this some kind of sick joke?

Koki Koki, I gotta say no

surfnurse I surfed in OCNJ for waaay to long, and my winter camping up the cali coast killed nj.
    Everything south of point conception is clownshoes, if you can handle a jerz winter, even Humboldt will be easy.
    If I had to go to one spot in cali it would be moss landing, santa cruz is close enough to moss landing too, lots of variety
    2nd choice shelter cove and 3rd choice is point arena
    most of those spots will work until winter storms stop, santa cruz has some summer spots, but if you are trying to escape crowds dont go to santa cruz

I dont know summer spots as good as the winter spots though
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Oct 29, 2013 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surfnurse7 View Post
    In the future I may have the opportunity to go work in California in the upcoming spring and summer, so during my research I am trying to decided what part of California to relocate to for this time period. While looking at what surf spots to base my travels, it seemed like many of the spots are fairly inconsistent (by Californians' standards). I have grown up surfing in Ocean City, New Jersey my whole life. So my question is, for the spring and summer seasons, is California really that much better then Ocean City? Water temperature is warmer here, but sometimes I feel like I'm fighting with hordes of people over 2ft. waves, so is California that much more consistent, and worth a 4/3 up north? or will one still be fighting crowds and inconsistent surf that time of the year, just in colder water? Wanted to hear from some Jersey people who have had a real sense of both sides of the coin. Thanks for any advice.
    I would say someone who grew up surfing the prime Cali spots would consider Ocean City not worth the paddle out on most days.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Oct 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    Koki Koki, I gotta say no

surfnurse I surfed in OCNJ for waaay to long, and my winter camping up the cali coast killed nj.
    Everything south of point conception is clownshoes, if you can handle a jerz winter, even Humboldt will be easy.
    If I had to go to one spot in cali it would be moss landing, santa cruz is close enough to moss landing too, lots of variety
    2nd choice shelter cove and 3rd choice is point arena
    most of those spots will work until winter storms stop, santa cruz has some summer spots, but if you are trying to escape crowds dont go to santa cruz

I dont know summer spots as good as the winter spots though
    I don't know if you should mention the nuke plant spot, those guys don't eveving want people taking pictures there. Out of respect I try not to be specific. Anyway, I agree.
    Brew, very true.
    Nurse, Cali gets 3-5 day swells NJ gets 3-5 hour swells.
    Personally I like northern better (above big sur) because of less crowds, more consistancy, and more size.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Nurse, Cali gets 3-5 day swells NJ gets 3-5 hour swells.
    Edd Zachary!!

Images
    get the book Surfing California by Bank Wright. surf the right spot on the right day and surf all over. and, regarding 2 ft waves in cali, you're gonna get them all to yourself.

If your work sends you to California take advantage of the opportunity. You will be able to make your own judgments on the west vs east coast. I guarantee you will not say in 10 years, "i wished i never surfed in California".

holy sh*t yes. Plane ticket is like $500, go out there and see for yourself and you will realize how stupid of a question that just was.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    Edd Zachary!!
    So 2007 but love the hell out of that one. Good work, brah.