LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: RI This Weekend

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerhody View Post
    does any person from mass actually surf in mass anymore or do they all come to RI now? cape will be clean today and good sets. why do they never explore their own coastline?
    Honestly? It's a shorter drive to Newport/Little Compton than the National Seashore. Plus swell direction makes a difference.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by punkaboy View Post
    You guys are right, First and Second Beach suck in in a south swell and Northwest winds.

    Don't even waste your time coming over the bridges, Ruggles will probably be not be able to handle any swells, or the 5 - 10 mile an hour winds on Saturday.

    Try Narragansett beach and anywhere else but Newport.

    Stay away from Aquidneck Island, Jamestown, Tiverton and Little Compton... Not worth the effort

    Bahzinga !!!
    Quite comical brah see you tomorrow

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    177
    Spicoli, what kind of board you gonna be riding? I'll probably have my Hobie out there. It's a 5'8" fish-tailed quad, white with a green horizontal stripe. I'd like to meet the man behind long-winded soliloquies. Maybe even get a bench-off in...

  4. #24
    Yeah from Boston it's a friggin' 3 hour drive to Wellfleet, less than an hour and a half to Newport... only ~45 minutes to the frigid waters of Gloucester though (and if the tides and swell direction etc all conspire there's always Winthrop). Wellfleet does get awesome waves but a 6-hour round trip drive every time you want to catch a wave gets old fast...

  5. #25
    Holy crowded at second beach on saturday...

  6. #26
    Haha yeah i drove by second and it looked good but very crowded.. I scored first instead sat and su day morning. Big and semi clean saturday and clean but smaller today. Cold with a 20 mph offshore and overcast...red tide barrels this morning.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by epictetus View Post
    Yeah from Boston it's a friggin' 3 hour drive to Wellfleet, less than an hour and a half to Newport... only ~45 minutes to the frigid waters of Gloucester though (and if the tides and swell direction etc all conspire there's always Winthrop). Wellfleet does get awesome waves but a 6-hour round trip drive every time you want to catch a wave gets old fast...
    Winthrop isn't a break man. Neither is Nahant or Nantasket. The first two have awful pollution worse than the area river mouth runoffs and they are never good. If they are ok, that means all the real breaks are bananas that day. Tasket is just not set up for success. But BCN is a folk hero then.

    Btw...Cape Ann area will tend to have the same ocean temps as NH and even 3-4 degrees warmer. Nothing in MA is going to be that warm inside Cape Cod and up due to Labrador currents. Rhodey is still low 60s right now. Some of the best breaks in MA are ones no one ever speaks of. Rhodey is sick though on a S or SSW swell like this past weekend. Who was down there?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    2,604
    Images
    6
    Saturday was pretty solid

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Winthrop isn't a break man. Neither is Nahant or Nantasket. The first two have awful pollution worse than the area river mouth runoffs and they are never good. If they are ok, that means all the real breaks are bananas that day. Tasket is just not set up for success. But BCN is a folk hero then.
    I've caught really good rides at Winthrop, if the tide etc are all right the rock-reef makes for a lot more consistent break than a lot of the beach-break spots I usually hit (although IMO Good Harbor in Gloucester is also amazing even if it is mostly beach-break)... actually caught good rides at Nantasket once too but yeah def agree that is a worst-of-all-possible-worlds break in terms of pollution, facing a direction that waves virtually never come from, combined with the super inconsistency of a mega-gradual-dropoff beach break.

    But yeah, for the pollution, maybe getting an updated Hepatitis vaccine isn't a bad idea....

    I got the crap beat out of me over and over at a super heavy shore-breaky RI spot Saturday, big but super choppy and random sets were coming from every direction. Made up for it by getting mega stoked at Second Beach Sunday -- even with 100ish guys out I was able to paddle down until I found my own peaks, super clean consistent sets being held up by steady offshore wind made for one of the best days I've had in a long time. Even waves with no peak/shoulder you could still get a good 5+ second ride on the face as it got held up by the offshore wind...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by epictetus View Post
    I've caught really good rides at Winthrop, if the tide etc are all right the rock-reef makes for a lot more consistent break than a lot of the beach-break spots I usually hit (although IMO Good Harbor in Gloucester is also amazing even if it is mostly beach-break)... actually caught good rides at Nantasket once too but yeah def agree that is a worst-of-all-possible-worlds break in terms of pollution, facing a direction that waves virtually never come from, combined with the super inconsistency of a mega-gradual-dropoff beach break.

    But yeah, for the pollution, maybe getting an updated Hepatitis vaccine isn't a bad idea....

    I got the crap beat out of me over and over at a super heavy shore-breaky RI spot Saturday, big but super choppy and random sets were coming from every direction. Made up for it by getting mega stoked at Second Beach Sunday -- even with 100ish guys out I was able to paddle down until I found my own peaks, super clean consistent sets being held up by steady offshore wind made for one of the best days I've had in a long time. Even waves with no peak/shoulder you could still get a good 5+ second ride on the face as it got held up by the offshore wind...
    Nantasket can be good but that usually means anywhere else is better. The only reason I usually go is if the wind is from the South (b/c it faces ENE) or the tide is too fat for other spots. It's a good place to take the longboard in the summer, but it can be a zoo.

    As far as scoring this weekend goes, I hit Point Judith for a solid three hour session. Mostly head high sets with the occassional overhead bomb. Winds were light and variable. The sun was peaking out. The water was warm as it's gonna get for November. I wore my 3/2 no booties and never got cold. Oh man, it was one of those days...The waves were just lining up right. I had my new 5'10 thruster out, and it felt like I was just flying on every wave. There were probably 30 guys out but they were all clustered around one peak so me and my buddy sat where we thought the best sets were coming in and traded waves alone for three hours. One of those days that reinvigorates the soul...