LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Miami Surfing

Miami Surfing

So i'm visiting UMiami for Grad School in January..do any of you guys know if there are ANY decent surf spots in Miami? I'm not talking 6+ feet or anything, but maybe some clean 2-5 foot breaks??

Thanks

-Bruce

Costa Rica is a 3 hour flight. Puerto Rico an hour. When it breaks in Miami, it is at South Beach near Government Cut, and it gets very crowded with lots of Cholos. 8 foot A frames. String bikinis. Brazilian wax jobs. And those are the local GUYS I'm taking about. Harbor House at Haulover Inlet ( North Miami Beach) is good on a northeaster, usually in the 3 to 5 foot range during big blows.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    Costa Rica is a 3 hour flight. Puerto Rico an hour. When it breaks in Miami, it is at South Beach near Government Cut, and it gets very crowded with lots of Cholos. 8 foot A frames. String bikinis. Brazilian wax jobs. And those are the local GUYS I'm taking about. Harbor House at Haulover Inlet ( North Miami Beach) is good on a northeaster, usually in the 3 to 5 foot range during big blows.
    LOL! Great comment - love it.
    Odds are there won't be a massive 8 foot NE swell when I go there but do you think theres anything ride-able on an average day with some windswell?

get a huge longboard (or, better yet, a SUP) and you'll get some. Maybe add a hybrid groveler for the rare punchy windswell...but those awesome turquoise A frame peaks you see in pictures happen about once a year.

South beach sandbars

You might run into these guys while you are there:
    miami-vice[1].jpg

Images
    I know it doesn't happen to often down there, but I'd love to catch that place on a day like this...

278697.jpg

Yea I hear south beach has some nice swells...hopefully it picks up a bit when I visit

It gets good down there but like the others said, it's rare! Anything south of Sebastian really needs a good swell to get working. With that said, Sebastian isn't that far from Miami. There's some killer campgrounds there if you want to make a weekend trip or extend your surf time.

I dated a girl that went to UM and I visited her like 5 times last year. The only time I caught it down there was when Hurricane sandy hit I got stuck there for an extra week but caught it amazing on that weekend at south beach. Did have to surf with 300 or more people in a 8 block radius..... Every other time it was dead flat.