LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    All that and didn't wrap the nose? Pipe insulation around the rails tape around it. Then put your towels in on the nose / tail and wrap duct tape around them to tighten it. Bubble wrap on the deck does nothing. If there's that hard of an impact mid board, the thing will buckle before it dings through all the padding in the case.
    I did use pipe insulation on the rails and I padded the noses with Styrofoam and towels. I removed all of it so the damage could be seen in the photos.

Yo el stupido!
    Have heard same stories from buds as well. What we all need to start a movement against airline to make a change for the better. My ski shop works with the airlines and back charge airlines for rentals skis and boards for damaged skis and snow board the airlines ruined. The checks are big they write us just for rentals.
    We all get charged more for luggage that weighs less.
    A lot of product is getting destroyed that doesn't need to be.
    Regular luggage doesn't get messed up too often?
    Oversized does more than not! Fact!
    Why doesn't the surf industry or ski industry work with them so this doesn't happen?
    Yes I wish I had a hard shell case for sure, yet I still run the gambit. Should we have to own one after paying 150 n up to take it with me so my stuff I padded up doesn't get ruined? I think not.
    We should start a movement! How is my question.

njshredmachine takes his private jet. Never a ding. Straps 'em to the roof, fins first.

@dudeclimbing,
    Alot of airlines do not want anything to do with surfboards as baggage. You probably noticed several years ago when almost all of them began charging alot more for boards and not feeling to bad when they were damaged. They wanted to make it cost prohibitive for boards and actually pets as well. I am afraid that their attitude is that you can take your buisiness elsewhere. Of course there are some airlines that are surfer friendly, so I would try to support them instead.

If njshremachine has a jet, I just got laid off by my airline and could fly his haha.

Ya we realize this more n more each day.
    Shred should just pick us all up for a session some where nice with a long left.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I trash my boards enough in the water that I prefer not to give the airlines the satisfaction. Bought one of these back when they were in business the first time around after having my favorite board trashed by the kind hearted throwers of Continental. Haven't gotten a travel ding since.

Some call it overkill others call it the Santa Monica Hardshell Surfcase, for when you have to get all Joe vs. the Volcano with your luggage. B!tch to store though. Occupies a big chunk of valuable rafter space in the garage.
    That's fuggin awesome dude, like coffins but different

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    All that and didn't wrap the nose? Pipe insulation around the rails tape around it. Then put your towels in on the nose / tail and wrap duct tape around them to tighten it. Bubble wrap on the deck does nothing. If there's that hard of an impact mid board, the thing will buckle before it dings through all the padding in the case.
    +1, I do exactly this plus pipe insulation down the center on both top and bottom of board, then wrap in a sheet and tape over the sheet wrapping around it, use that thick packing tape. If you have a swallow tail board, cut out little pieces of pipe insulation to fit in and around it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeclimbing View Post
    Ya we realize this more n more each day.
    Shred should just pick us all up for a session some where nice with a long left.
    I had a good experience with Jet Blue, next time i'd check em out if you can, used them both times I went to PR, and they fly right into Aguadilla too, at least from Orlando airport they do

American down, perfect. Back delta, not so good. It's a roll of the dice, Or hard case it.
    They look better every day. It will be a week for me to fix it. Then a couple on the rail.
    Live n learn. Burn me once, my fault.burn me twice, I'm a dumb ........

Don't they have board rentals where you are going, or can you buy/sell a stick upon arrival/departure? I have traveled with boards and it sucks. Next time I will support the local economy (if possible) and travel stress free. Or is everyone so dialed in to their own equipment that this is not even an option. Just asking.