LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Should I be Bothered....

I get to the break late, with GF in tow, thrilled to see uncrowded leftover swell. The fin screw & plate are missing from the single fin. 'No biggie,'I thought. 'I'll run to the surf shop and pick one up.' I roll $20 into my suit sleeve and run to the shop.

I get to the shop, and after waiting 15 minutes, the guy tells me that they only have the screws - no plates. I'm persistent, and he says 'I'll bring you to the back and we can take a look.'

I wait around another ten minutes while he talks to his coworker about something totally unrelated. Finally he rummages through some garbage-looking boxes and says 'yeah we don't have it.'

There's at least 5/6 rental boards sitting in the rack that have the same fin hardware. So I ask the guy if I can borrow one of the plates; I tell him I'll pay for it and bring it back, I tell him I'll leave the $20 as deposit and bring it back, I practically beg him- and he says "That's not gonna happen." Then he tries to rent me a board!!

Should I be bothered? Because I was very f*cking angry.
    Last edited by Slashdog; Nov 4, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

sounds like a kook shop with no soul....what is name of said institution

how often do you go to that shop? was it the owner or just a lazy kid?

in my surf bag i have every same surf related item i could ever use. spare fins, keys, screws, plates, etc. by having them i never need to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashdog View Post
    Should I be bothered? Because I was very f*cking angry.
    yea, you should be bothered by how you screwed up (no pun intended). i prob. would've just given you the plate & screw out of one of the rentals, but i don't think it makes the shop the bad guy that they didn't. they didn't have one to sell you & they didn't want to loose the potential revenue of a rental (aprox. $20-$50, depending on the length on the rental, vs. $0.50-$1.25 for the price of a screw+plate) to take care of some kook who didn't check his equipment before heading to the beach/keep his equipment in working order.

you shouldn't be angry at the shop, you should be angry w/ yourself.

The shop could of helped him out in a pinch.. is it entirely Slashdogs fault? no...

You could of rented the board if it was cheap enough... pull of the parts you needed and surfed your board then reassemble and return when you were done. Or ride finless... the shop should have just hooked you up though... sign of the times I guess

That's really lame. Surf shops are supposed to hook you up on no brainer issues like that. That's how they win your loyalty when it comes time to buy a new board or wetsuit. Last time I had an equipment issue, my local shop hooked it up with a free rental for the day. That's how it should be.

How the f do they not have the complete screw/plate kit being a surf shop is beyond me. I am going to go ahead and assume that they did have it but just didn't want to be there to save the day for you.

Even some of the gas stations at the beach here are halfway to a surf shop, selling wax, leash, ding repair, etc.

I agree that you're probably uptight cuz you're late to the water, got the gf and didn;t have the right equipment. But its the free market - don;t patronize the shop if they don;t meet your needs. There's a shop near me that charges $3 for a bar of wax, Its my choice to not spend any money there and steer my friends away. Its all good.

I'd be pretty upset. In my mind there are 2 kinds of shops. There's the sort of shop that is stoked on surfing and helping out a fellow surfer, then there's the sort that are only there to make money and are filled with employees who only try to sell you something. Obviously both are a business and need to make money but there's a huge difference. For example Iv never paid for a bar of wax. Ever.

The shop wasn't going to lose out on any money they had a few rental boards I'm sure they could of spared the hardware he was willing to pay for and still rented a board if someone came in. In fact they would probably gained a customer and maybe a few more by word of mouth.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    yea, you should be bothered by how you screwed up (no pun intended). i prob. would've just given you the plate & screw out of one of the rentals, but i don't think it makes the shop the bad guy that they didn't. they didn't have one to sell you & they didn't want to loose the potential revenue of a rental (aprox. $20-$50, depending on the length on the rental, vs. $0.50-$1.25 for the price of a screw+plate) to take care of some kook who didn't check his equipment before heading to the beach/keep his equipment in working order.
    you shouldn't be angry at the shop, you should be angry w/ yourself.

typical new jersey answer, they like to trample to weak and poor like herd animals.