LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

West vs east coast waves: Which are steeper?

So I'm moving to Oregon next month and am pretty stoked about surfing the west coast for the first time in my life. It seems to me that, generally, the waves on the east coast have much steeper faces. I would imagine this is a product of the west coast having much longer wave periods. Am I correct in this assumption?

There's no such thing as "east coast" vs. "west coast" when it comes to a basic wave quality like steepness.

There are mushy/hollow/steep/flat waves on the east coast
    There are mushy/hollow/steep/flat waves on the west coast

Location location location. There are west coast spots than can take 15 second swell and turn it into hollow kegs, there are other spots where it's soft and slow. Sometiimes right next nearby! Have fun in Oregon. Remember to sit off to the side a while before you go for a set wave at Seaside
    Last edited by scotty; Nov 4, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    There's no such thing as "east coast" vs. "west coast" when it comes to a basic wave quality like steepness.

There are mushy/hollow/steep/flat waves on the east coast
    There are mushy/hollow/steep/flat waves on the west coast

Location location location. There are west coast spots than can take 15 second swell and turn it into hollow kegs, there are other spots where it's soft and slow. Sometiimes right next nearby! Have fun in Oregon. Remember to sit off to the side a while before you go for a set wave at Seaside
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I've been warned about Seaside and don't plan on hitting it for a while. Met some surfers where I'll be working and they said after living nearby for four years they still don't feel welcome there! Plenty of other decent spots around with a mellower vibe from what I've been told though.

Images
    watch for sharks. men in the gray suit love that colder water.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    watch for sharks. men in the gray suit love that colder water.
    Sharks are imaginary.

Quote Originally Posted by mattybrews View Post
    So I'm moving to Oregon next month and am pretty stoked about surfing the west coast for the first time in my life. It seems to me that, generally, the waves on the east coast have much steeper faces. I would imagine this is a product of the west coast having much longer wave periods. Am I correct in this assumption?
    you've never surfed on the west coast, yet you guess the west coast isn't as steep...boy are you in for a annihilation (start holding your breath now)

pretty sure longer periods just means longer lines/walls and longer time between sets. nothing to do with steepness, which has more to do with bathymetry

isn't this like the 3rd east coast vs. west coast thread you have started?
    Move along already

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    you've never surfed on the west coast, yet you guess the west coast isn't as steep...boy are you in for a annihilation (start holding your breath now)

pretty sure longer periods just means longer lines/walls and longer time between sets. nothing to do with steepness, which has more to do with bathymetry
    Admittedly a foolish assumption on my part. This is why I ask, and I appreciate everyone's input. I've only seen a handful of west coast beaches, and I think every time it was in August or July. Part of me is a bit nervous I might be in over my head out there, so just wondering what to expect. I'm in no rush to jump into double-overhead conditions, trust me. I've got a long ways to go with my surfing still. Seems like I just need to find the right beach for my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    isn't this like the 3rd east coast vs. west coast thread you have started?
    Move along already
    Nope. This is the first one.
    Last edited by mattybrews; Nov 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    Another negative yap from the keyboard buoy.

Its all going to depend on what break you are at and what the current conditions are like. I can tell you that the water temp will definitely be different than where you are at now! I've been to Oregon, Washington, Cali etc... and even in the summer its friggin cold! Course I'm from Florida but man it was cold. Even the sand.... cold!!!

I know Delaware is cold but I would imagine Oregon is a little cooler.