LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haiyan

Images
    That storm was a straight up monster when it made landfall.

Images
    Wow, such a big, well defined eye...thanks for the images guys...and as others have said, thoughts and prayers for the people in it's path.

Quote Originally Posted by banxsurfer View Post
    Yeah my friend Steve Hess (former owner of Secret Spot in Nags Head) is getting punished, his home is right on the Cloud Nine break. I pray they are all are ok
    When did he sell? In saw Our Lord Hess in his office 4 or 5 years ago. His parents own the property. Did they give it to Gary?

holy hell! Mitchell, those gifs are amazing!

it makes you wonder, is this a coincidence? Or are storms on the earth getting more powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    That satellite image is scary as hell. Being on the ground there must be unimaginably chaotic. Sh*t flying through the air at 190mph is insanely dangerous. I had sh*t whipping past my head at 85mph last year while trying to save my truck and boat. Luckily I dodged most of it. 190mph!!! What?! There's going to be a lot more flying debris in that situation. A shingle at that speed could probably kill you. If they lose shelter because it blew away and end up totally exposed, what then. Yikes. Scary stuff.
    It's easy to become complacent in our lives and forget how powerful and in control the universe is.
    My heart goes out to the people of the Philippines
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    holy hell! Mitchell, those gifs are amazing!

it makes you wonder, is this a coincidence? Or are storms on the earth getting more powerful?
    It's Obama's fault

Apparently not on the East Coast.
    Quick Story about Super Typhoons. Living in Micronesia right smack dab in Typhoon alley we had a national holiday, Our Lady of Kamalen Day at the beginning of December for a revered statue. The statue of Mary mother of God was said to have been brought ashore to the island by turtles and crabs and have miracle making powers (weird because it wouldn't float but likely came from a Spanish galleon that sunk off the coast in the 1600s). Anyway, being flat broke the island sought to eliminate certain holidays in the early 2000s and our Lady of Kamalen was one of them. That year a super typhoon the likes that have never been seen hit the Island on what would have been Our Lady of Kamalen Day. The national holiday was instantly reinstated and still exists today!

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    There's only so much energy to go around on this planet and we all know the Sun's constant input is the driving force behind our weather. If there's an imbalance of energy somewhere nature will find a way to even things out.

A difference in electrical charge between the air and the ground? Lightning.
    An uneven heating of the ground and water? On or offshore breeze.
    Water too shallow to support the inbound wave energy? Surf.
    Apologizing to the girl for an honest mistake? Sex.

When the East Coast has had a piss-poor hurricane season, where does that energy go?

Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    It's Obama's fault
    That's exactly what I was thinking, the validation makes it all clear now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    Apparently not on the East Coast.
    Quick Story about Super Typhoons. Living in Micronesia right smack dab in Typhoon alley we had a national holiday, Our Lady of Kamalen Day at the beginning of December for a revered statue. The statue of Mary mother of God was said to have been brought ashore to the island by turtles and crabs and have miracle making powers (weird because it wouldn't float but likely came from a Spanish galleon that sunk off the coast in the 1600s). Anyway, being flat broke the island sought to eliminate certain holidays in the early 2000s and our Lady of Kamalen was one of them. That year a super typhoon the likes that have never been seen hit the Island on what would have been Our Lady of Kamalen Day. The national holiday was instantly reinstated and still exists today!
    That is an insane story, Stranded...thanks for sharing!