LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I live as close to ai bridge as you can...bike ride for me. After the last 5 day blow we had a few weeks ago dug it out pushing bar way off the beach in areas...but with that being said, there are areas orv accessible that break much closer and break crazy good but still a different type of break...in general, ai can be weak but longer and best at low, where as OC is steeper and generally much shorter ride...but not always the case...just got do a little orv searching. Surfed this morning at OC..pretty weak/small...ai would of probably been worse and I ride a short...tho ai is my go to place if the wave is large enough. I can tell you this, ai was the better then OC most of then summer.

I'd hope that Coop would post more than less.

Props to the local. Seriously.

Images
    mrcoop, do you live on Southpoint?

i donít know what you call a long paddle back. I would rather paddle although I havenít had that experience yet than surf the close outs in town OC. There are time when the surf is decent in OC but overall for me Teague is better unless you are looking for fast moving barrels at the beach and only on occasion. After Sandy the sand bars in OC were similar to the old days prior to replenishment. Sand moves constantly an will change a break in Maryland in days. Some of the spots in OC do stay consistently better. What stage of the tide you pick, wind and swell make all the difference. OC and Teague are close enough that you can surf both either in a morning or afternoon with the tide you want. I have not surfed the State Park at all so I am only thinking of the National Seashore. In regards to surf forecasts an old Hawaiian years ago his philosophy was to go down to the break and if it was breaking surf it, if not do something else. That has worked for me. Enjoy what you have because you may not have it tomorrow..

Assateague is garbage. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.gnar28 View Post
    Assateague is garbage. That is all.
    Exactly. Assateague is only good when its head+ and pumping. Other than that its a soft longboard wave with 100s of kooks in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by snobowin View Post
    i donít know what you call a long paddle back. I would rather paddle although I havenít had that experience yet than surf the close outs in town OC. There are time when the surf is decent in OC but overall for me Teague is better unless you are looking for fast moving barrels at the beach and only on occasion.
    I don't know when the last time you were there was, but its really not like this since the last nor'easter. Assateague has been closing out badly, and though OC is breaking closer to the shore than Assa, its at least got some breaks that are working better for now. I'm hoping Assateague will be back to "normal" next year, its nice in the summer when OC is packed with lifeguards and restricted beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by UserID View Post
    I don't know when the last time you were there was, but its really not like this since the last nor'easter. Assateague has been closing out badly, and though OC is breaking closer to the shore than Assa, its at least got some breaks that are working better for now. I'm hoping Assateague will be back to "normal" next year, its nice in the summer when OC is packed with lifeguards and restricted beaches.
    That nor'easter roasted Assateague. What was once good surfing from February through September turned into Senor Closeout post-storm. And OCMD might be even worse. I'll keep trying, through the winter, but it's lame nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Brode View Post
    Exactly. Assateague is only good when its head+ and pumping. Other than that its a soft longboard wave with 100s of kooks in the summer.
    I would disagree...this summer, in general, oc was breaking right on the beach...plain and simple, oc sucked in "most" areas...not all...AI, in areas were excellent this summer...even had power for waist high waves with nice lengthy rides, in the right places. In general, its definitely a softer wave...no argument there, but the lay of the bar determines how soft the wave is...gotta poke around.

I would agree...crowds can be bad, but so can oc...its tough to get away from anyone in oc...not AI...I use the orv and I can surf with no one else around...I dont mind sharing some waves with a few, but not a ton. something about surfing by yourself on a perfect day.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    That nor'easter roasted Assateague. What was once good surfing from February through September turned into Senor Closeout post-storm. And OCMD might be even worse. I'll keep trying, through the winter, but it's lame nowadays.
    I think oc is breaking much better after that 5 day blow...in fact, I surf there more then AI now.