LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fish dimensions

Type of wave you want to ride it in, your age and ability, and what you want your new board to do that your current board doesn't, are all important factors. Make sure you communicate that when you go to talk to your shaper.

GO 4-6 INCHES shorter than your traditional shortboard. I would say 5'8 x 20 1/2 x 2 3/4

Don't be afraid togo beefy with the thickness, if he a good shaper he can hide some foam in the rails.
    I have a new fish coming tomorrow from Phil Taylor, I'm 5'10 and 160. the board will be 5'4x20x2 3/4. Round nose quad.

If you want to use it in any size, go quad! You can always, ride it twinnie, but having the quad option makes it VERY performance oriented.

What about thrusting this type of board if it's 5-slot?

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    the deep swallow tail of a traditional fish makes that impractical. the 2 front fins would have to be too far forward to make room for the center fin. that's why fish type boards that are designed to be ridden w/ a tri set up have shallower swallow tails than retro designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    ^^^^word. Figure out what you want out of the board, your ability and talk to shape man. I had fun with 5'10"s for a few years ( I'm 6'2" 190lb). I recently picked up a v2 stub 6'0" 21" 2.5" quad. I went a bit big for ultimate groveling ability. I put my k2.1 side bites in and holy sh*t this board works insane in normal waves too. I figured the board may have been a little clunky or weird. I was way wrong! High performance all the way.
    Swallow tails just weird me out and need a lot of repair in my experience. I can't visualize the benefit of a swallow, idk. Ironically my first board was a swallow though.
    Swallow tails are definitely the way to go for a traditional or hybrid fish shape in weak waves. The offer much more drive and ability to stay on a rail.

Fish can be strange but wonderful beasts. There's lots of good info above but do your best to try one before you order. Beg, borrow, rent, steal. Maybe your shaper has a demo? Throw a couple bucks to someone selling on Craigslist? El Stupido will let you try his. Guys I know either love or hate the retro ones. And those who hate usually won't try something similar. I don't understand that because there are so many variations -- there's something for everyone. Quad vs twin? Both! But definitely quad. Or twin.

You can't possibly know what you want to do with the fish before you ride one. You've got to feel how it reacts and figure out what you like and what you'd want to change. The same could be said for any shape, but fish are different for me. I've seen people sell brand new boards because it wasn't what they expected or they were unwilling to adjust their style to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    just ordered up a retro style quad fish from brian wynn
    Since you have contact info you should give him a heads-up that his domain name expired two days ago. His website is down.
    Last edited by viajerodevida; Nov 12, 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    swallow cuts make the tail sink in the wave and therefore turn on rail more responsively

anyway, aside from the deep swallow cut, many fish have tails too wide for a thruster. In my exp, really wide tails work better with a lot of fin(s) distributed throughout the rail. Big center fins or even shark tooth trailers make them even harder to turn. Tiny knubsters function, but I think putting a center slot on these really wide tail quads is more of a marketing gimmick than for performance...the waves most would ride on wide tail grovelers would never need extra stability.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Nov 12, 2013 at 03:45 AM.