LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

South Florida board

Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a bit trying to gather all the information I can. I'm essentially new to surfing and hoping to get a little board advice. I used to live in south Florida a few years ago and have surfed maybe a dozen or so times over the years. I'm moving back and would like to get more into surfing. I currently have a ton of board-sport experience. I am not bad at wakeboarding and a pretty good snowboarder(get 35-45 days a year). I think I want to go with a fish shape, but would like to hear some opinions. I want a board that I can ride in the small mush crap that southeast Florida normally has. I'm also looking for something fun I can toss around and ride some bigger waves with when available(not opposed to traveling on weekends for good waves). This has lead me to a fish shape board. Any advice on dimensions(I'm 6' 165 lbs), or another type of board all together? I would like it to be somewhat conductive to learning, but I imagine I'll pick it up quick between my past experience and all my current board-sport experience. Also if anyone knows of any good locations in the south Florida area(Delray/Boca/Deerfield) I would appreciate the tip! Open to any and all inputs. Looking forward to joining you all out in the water soon.

Stu sharpes are pretty nice. I have a funboard shape n love it. Some other shapers are around as well down there. Try some n pick.

I lived in Ft Lauderdale for 3 years. I had a fat fish and it worked o.k. when it was ridable...but most of the time, it's practically unrideable because the area is blocked by bahama islands. If there's anywhere you need a quiver it's there. Get a longboard for most days, a round nose fish for windswells, and maybe a rocket/hybrid for winter...and a sup for those clear pancake days.

even up here in central fl where there's more swells a longboard will always work. as someone who moved to fl and began surfing recently i've ridden 7 foot funboards to 9 1/2 foot logs and the log will get you more successful rides thus more experience.

Ur guys shapers of fun boards r the best in world. I'm talking high performance wave catching machines. Yes I give props to the long board guys yet look into it. Ya guys got sum great stuff that isn't so long n not a fish....
    Enjoy n have fun

Yes my funsy is an island from coco epoxy. I'm 6' 165- 60 lbs. my 7'8" is a killer. Turns like a shorty n is fast. Epoxy dream machine. Look m up. Try m out. Worth ur wild. Only sum advice. But a load of fun. B.

This post really opened my eyes. it is not only eye opening rather very beneficial for the people those who want to do something good in his life.

Last edited by pearlprice22; Aug 25, 2014 at 01:38 PM.

Greg Geiselman or Orion Surfboards are top notch. He's out of Central Florida (New Smyrna). The guy is an artist when it comes to board shaping! I've watched him shape boards without even measuring them and when he's done the boards are always dead nuts! When it comes to master shapers he's one of the best!

Have to give props to Ricky Carroll too! He too is a master! Also have to throw Randy Richenburg in the mix!

Up and coming new star I would have to say is Craig Kronin! Of course he shapes Kronins. Was trained by Greg Geiselman and he really knows his $hit!!!

Lots of good choices here in Florida, don't be afraid to talk to these guys and let them know exactly what you need. A good custom board isn't just shaped by your height and weight. Be truthful with your surfing ability and also where you surf and what you are seeking to do.

I agree with wavehog1. My go to board is an Orion shaped by Greg Geiselman. He makes hybrids that float real well, catch waves easily, and can turn on a dime and throw mad spray. I just saw a 5 fin rocket fish on the rack that looks real fun. Also Matt Kechle of Kechle boards makes a great pug fish that is a performance hybrid fish/fun shape that works great here in S. Fla.

Try Delray Beach south of Atlantic around the catamarans for wind chop/ swell. Atlantic Dunes just north of Linton on a good north swell. Boynton Inlet on big swells once you get your chops. Good luck. Also info@surfriderpbc.org will contact the local Surfrider Foundation chapter if you would like to get involved.

Oh I almost forgot - the Juno Pier is the spot. It's well worth the drive if you can deal with crowds. And Singer Island is very sharky, you might want to avoid it.