gerry lopez talk story

nobody posted so i figure i would.
    http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/f...innings_108954

...anyway I never been to indo,seen a billion surf vids from every spot worth knowing,but hearing Gerry talk about uluwatu was amazing.first off,i didn't know u paddle out through a cave,which is the coolest thing I ever heard of.

anyone who ever been there please share ur stories

I searched youtube for uluwatu cave to see what it looks like,heres a video I found that shows u the way to get there.imagine doing that without all the American surf tourism shops and its just jungle and cliffs.i can see why Gerry was irate because I wouldn't be able to find that spot if my life depended on it.

its pretty depressing seeing all the surfshops there,i can only imagine how crowded that place is,but the cave is so beautiful id live in there if I could and surf perfect waves everyday.

anybody know any other surf spots where u go through crazy obstacles to get out.jeez il never complain about jersey again,all I have to do is pull up to the beach and walk across the sand.imagine doing that in the 70s when surfers didn't really exist and surfshops were far far away

Images
    La Jolla, CA. There are caves on the North facing stretch of cliffs that are in the La Jolla Cove, With The Shore to the north east of it. A guy has a shop and usually charges $5 to go in through his store and down to the caves.... Its more of a novelty than anything since you can just paddle right off the swimming beach to Surf La Jolla Cove. You "Can" paddle out through the caves, but there is no need to. Not to mention that the Cove only breaks a couple times of year, if that. It has to be at least 15 feet of swell for the thing to wake up at all.

wow... must have been amazing to do that

great post

also

makes me nostalgic for when the world was still small

i surfed pasamayo (which is NOT pacasmayo) in peru a couple times. you have to park on the hi-way
    and walk directly down about a 200 meter high sand dune. nice wave and never crowded but one time
    i watched crooks rob my car - couldn't do a damn thing about it - cause NOBODY can run up a 500ft dune.
    they stole my cassette deck, wheels (with tires) and springsteen tape collection.

this is at ANCON where an american airlines flight ended in disaster - idk - somewhere around 1986 - you
    might remember it cause so many of the dead were ROBBED. wonder if it was the same guys?