LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdub17 View Post
    Excellent, thank you for your response. How much did all of that cost? It seems sort of pricey.
    Is the water colder in April than in November typically?
    Brah...surfing is pricey. And MIS-13 is a wise and skilled charger but the Lougle search is gonna know more about the exact temps in the water each day of the year at your breaks more than he will. Lougle it.

but dont get caught in the hot tub time machine

I was-am lucky, I had ins at shops for gear, ins at body glove for below wholesale wetsuits and I was a whiskey militia fiend, always looking to score a cheap suit, even if it was out of season. pick up a 5oo dollar drylock for 220, even in June you are stoked

you can pretty much go with any brand wetsuit for a 3 mil or 4 mil, but go xcel drylock for your 5 mil, the other suits dont 'do it' for me

and when you surf for decades, your gear builds up, I think I have 4 4 mils in various states of decomposition, but that is the suit that gets worn the most, in my experience, I wear it in late march and april and parts of may and sometimes late october nov and dec

now, you can rock a 3 mil all winter if you want, but you will be having like 30 min sessions max

I try and reserve my 5 mil for post Christmas and when the weather 'breaks' I try and rock a no hood 4 mil setup if its small and Im not duckdiving

good luck

and seriously, what kind of tail does a pianist pull?..prep school? rich? Im dying to hear about this world of pianist sluts, is it like groupies? do you have groupies?

This wetsuit/water temperatures guide seems a bit conservative to me, but it will give you a general idea. Air temps must be considered, and winds are a big factor in making conditions colder - as I found out last Friday. Also the duration of your session - planned and unplanned.
    http://360guide.info/wetsuits/water-...ure-chart.html

There's also the wetsuit guide at the top of the SI forecast screen.
    But some folks just get colder sooner than others due to such factors as metabolism, body fat %, diet, health, age, etc.
    Last edited by DosXX; Nov 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM.

How warm you are when you hit the sand and water makes a big difference as well. In colder months, when I actually wear a wetty, I'll put it on after a hot shower so I'm heated up and I don't have to deal with that cold, awkward moment of getting in the suit in the truck or standing outside it in a towel. I've got no two-hour drive to the break if I'm staying local so I get in and out of the wetty in the shower before and after. Don't understand why guys will change right there, that's gotta be fricken freezing Bigglesworth. Even when I'm coming back from Rhodey, I'll often just take the top half of the wetty off on the ride home when I'm warmed up. On days I don't wear a wetty, I'm still cranking heat before and after. Dead summer is just about the only time I don't care about any of this crap. Or when I was in El Salvs. Then the bugs and sewer water were the concern.

Get all the gear and keep surfing. It helps to surf every swell as it gets colder. As it gets slowly colder it is much more comfortable than if you surf all summer in board shorts and then decide mid winter snow storm your going surfing.

Get a winter suit and take the best care of it you can and it will take care of you.

Jersey! Sh*t, man, It's cold up there! Get one of those heated wetsuits or something...

Go to the clymb and get one of the cypher heated vests their on sale for like 75 bucks and will allow you to hang in there for three or four weeks under the 3/2.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    ...and seriously, what kind of tail does a pianist pull?..prep school? rich? Im dying to hear about this world of pianist sluts, is it like groupies? do you have groupies?
    Pics or it didn't happen. Use the GoPro!

But seriously dude, just go to the local shop with a piece of mail from the family summer home. That way you can prove your address. They should hook you up then. If that doesn't work, let the guys in the lineup know that you have a summer home in the area, and that you're looking for a cheap suit. Someone will lend a helping hand for sure.

See you out there Chopin!

Images
    fyi- just drop the cash and get a 5/4
    its totally worth it.
    you will only get another few weeks out of a "NEW" 3/2 that has sealed seams...
    and the water is still cold in april- it always seems to stay colder longer the expected. maybe late april/may.
    if you don't want to surf in jan- to feb/march- get a 4/3.
    seshday.com has a cheap xcel 5/4 but only in xl...

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    but dont get caught in the hot tub time machine

I was-am lucky, I had ins at shops for gear, ins at body glove for below wholesale wetsuits and I was a whiskey militia fiend, always looking to score a cheap suit, even if it was out of season. pick up a 5oo dollar drylock for 220, even in June you are stoked

you can pretty much go with any brand wetsuit for a 3 mil or 4 mil, but go xcel drylock for your 5 mil, the other suits dont 'do it' for me

and when you surf for decades, your gear builds up, I think I have 4 4 mils in various states of decomposition, but that is the suit that gets worn the most, in my experience, I wear it in late march and april and parts of may and sometimes late october nov and dec

now, you can rock a 3 mil all winter if you want, but you will be having like 30 min sessions max

I try and reserve my 5 mil for post Christmas and when the weather 'breaks' I try and rock a no hood 4 mil setup if its small and Im not duckdiving

good luck

and seriously, what kind of tail does a pianist pull?..prep school? rich? Im dying to hear about this world of pianist sluts, is it like groupies? do you have groupies?

Haha I've actually been in a relationship for about a year