LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdub17 View Post
    Haha I've actually been in a relationship for about a year
    Does he surf?

I don't know how you all do it up there! You guys are hardcore!

When I was a kid it didn't bother me as much. I would surf till I had literally had hyperthermia. My body would be numb and everything happened in slow motion. Even when I warmed up my hands and feet would continue to stay numb for hours.

What the sorriest part of this story is that I live in Florida! Once the water temp gets down in the low 60's I really start having problems. It helps if I surf more often and try to get acclimated to the dropping water temp but its still not enough. Luckily our water temp here in Central Florida holds up at least until January/mid January or so.

I've never worn a hoodie and I've tried the bootie thing several times but just can't get used to having them on my feet.

Florida is pretty cool in that I can drive about 2hrs south to Sebastian Inlet and the water temp will actually be at least 10 degrees warmer. So if we have a good swell we'll shoot down there for a few days and camp out.

Anyway sorry to digress..... You Yanks are hardcore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    I don't know how you all do it up there! You guys are hardcore!

When I was a kid it didn't bother me as much. I would surf till I had literally had hyperthermia. My body would be numb and everything happened in slow motion. Even when I warmed up my hands and feet would continue to stay numb for hours.

What the sorriest part of this story is that I live in Florida! Once the water temp gets down in the low 60's I really start having problems. It helps if I surf more often and try to get acclimated to the dropping water temp but its still not enough. Luckily our water temp here in Central Florida holds up at least until January/mid January or so.

I've never worn a hoodie and I've tried the bootie thing several times but just can't get used to having them on my feet.

Florida is pretty cool in that I can drive about 2hrs south to Sebastian Inlet and the water temp will actually be at least 10 degrees warmer. So if we have a good swell we'll shoot down there for a few days and camp out.

Anyway sorry to digress..... You Yanks are hardcore!!!
    Hardcore....or just young and dumb. lol Maybe they enjoy being miserable. lol

Air temps are more of a determining factor this time of year. This site says(when you look at the forecast page in upper right hand corner) you should be wearing a 3/2 this morning. Air temp was in the 20s with water temp in the upper 50s. Good luck in a 3/2 in those type of conditions.

I'm fine wearing a 3/2 in August. So how exactly that would keep me warm now is beyond me. Forget 4/3. It's full winter suit time now. There's also a lot of "macho stupidity" when people start giving wetsuit information/advice. I've seen people shivering with signs of hypothermia saying their warm. Just saying. Don't really get how being freezing and having your teeth shatter makes somebody hardcore. It's just miserable. Also, there's a big difference in personal tolerance to cold. No one size fits all. It's amazing the horrible advice that's given at surf shops in new england about wetsuit thickness.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 13, 2013 at 02:25 PM.

Holy good God almighty!!!! Air temp 20, water temp 50's!!!! That's ridiculous!

Luckily we are still skinning it down here. Usually round Thanksgiving we break out the spring suits.

I've seen picts before of guys up north surfing and there was snow on the beach! Course we get snow on the beach down here but it comes in little brick packages!

I remember when we were kids we would walk down the beach and jump the fences of the hotels (or sometimes just walk through the gate) and most of them would have hot tubs outside by the pool. We would jump in the hot tub and your wetsuit would suck up all that nice hot water and then you would dash out down the beach and paddle out. It was so sweet because you could hit the water and not even feel it.

On a side note, do you guys actually get ice chunkies in the water or ice burgs up there?

After this cold snap you'll be in a 4/3 or 5/4/3 with boots, gloves and a hood if you're a human and not a seal. Next session without gloves will be mid to late May. Enjoy

I don't care what anyone says, surfing in cold water sucks. I don't mind down to the upper 50's but anything below that blows. If you want to surf year round in the Northeast be prepared to surf in 38 degree water with 20 degree air, snow on the beach, and 30 mph NW winds. Give me warm water anyday

I get the worst ice cream headaches and that's when the water temp is in the low 60's high 50's!

The coldest I think I've surfed was about 55-56 degrees. I peed in my suit standing on the beach and then ran full bore hit the water and paddled as fast as could thinking I would generate some body heat. I got about 100 yards or so when all of a sudden I felt like I was having a heart attack! I freaked out and jumped off my board, the water was only about chest deep and I just sat there for a minute in sure panic! I thought surely I was dying! I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it back in. Finally I jumped back on my board, went in, ripped off my suit and sat naked in the car with the heat on full blast. After that I realized how the crab fisherman die the instant they hit that water. Its not that they get hyperthermia or whatever its that their heart is shocked but the instant freezing water!

I surely thought I was having a heart attack that day! Once again you guys up Nort are hardcore!

Quote Originally Posted by slashdog View Post
    does he surf?
    funny!!!!!

I'll take the cold over the crowds on any day. Maybe I'm just a masochist, but there's something about duck diving under an icy wave that gets your adrenaline pumping! And there's just this awesome rush of heat to your skin for about 3 or 4 hours after a session. Maybe it's a similar thing to a runner's high...your body is miserable but you get a massive endorphin release as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    Holy good God almighty!!!! Air temp 20, water temp 50's!!!! That's ridiculous!

Luckily we are still skinning it down here. Usually round Thanksgiving we break out the spring suits.

I've seen picts before of guys up north surfing and there was snow on the beach! Course we get snow on the beach down here but it comes in little brick packages!

I remember when we were kids we would walk down the beach and jump the fences of the hotels (or sometimes just walk through the gate) and most of them would have hot tubs outside by the pool. We would jump in the hot tub and your wetsuit would suck up all that nice hot water and then you would dash out down the beach and paddle out. It was so sweet because you could hit the water and not even feel it.

On a side note, do you guys actually get ice chunkies in the water or ice burgs up there?
    Bro from the warm side, you have no idea how cold it gets here. Temps can be in the single digits with 35mph wind with water temps hovering around 32 degrees in late january. My time in the water is about to end until late april so I don't go out in conditions like that or anything even remotely close to that.

oh and nothing beats boogie boarding down an ice burg I don't know if chunks of ice form in ri. I've never seen it. The ocean is really hard to freeze. I know for sure it happens up in nova scotia/newfoundland. If you search on youtube you can find videos of it snowing while people are in the water. Crazy haha