LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Hardcore....or just young and dumb. lol Maybe they enjoy being miserable. lol

Air temps are more of a determining factor this time of year. This site says(when you look at the forecast page in upper right hand corner) you should be wearing a 3/2 this morning. Air temp was in the 20s with water temp in the upper 50s. Good luck in a 3/2 in those type of conditions.

I'm fine wearing a 3/2 in August. So how exactly that would keep me warm now is beyond me. Forget 4/3. It's full winter suit time now. There's also a lot of "macho stupidity" when people start giving wetsuit information/advice. I've seen people shivering with signs of hypothermia saying their warm. Just saying. Don't really get how being freezing and having your teeth shatter makes somebody hardcore. It's just miserable. Also, there's a big difference in personal tolerance to cold. No one size fits all. It's amazing the horrible advice that's given at surf shops in new england about wetsuit thickness.

This cold snap is certainly going to pull us into 4/3 weather I believe...but keep in mind that the water has been uncharacteristically warm this fall.

I was warm surfing late October this year in just a 3/2!

Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    fyi- just drop the cash and get a 5/4
    its totally worth it.
    you will only get another few weeks out of a "NEW" 3/2 that has sealed seams...
    and the water is still cold in april- it always seems to stay colder longer the expected. maybe late april/may.
    if you don't want to surf in jan- to feb/march- get a 4/3.
    seshday.com has a cheap xcel 5/4 but only in xl...
    The water went up 11 degrees in 17 days last year between mid April and early May. I think it was from 42 to 53 or something. Would have to check the records. But 53 felt like bath water I tell you after a long, cold winter out there. Pretty stoked I got that 5/4 Drylock for half price on whiskeys a couple months ago. Who knows when I'll bust it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicphoniks View Post
    Get all the gear and keep surfing. It helps to surf every swell as it gets colder. As it gets slowly colder it is much more comfortable than if you surf all summer in board shorts and then decide mid winter snow storm your going surfing.

Get a winter suit and take the best care of it you can and it will take care of you.
    I'd agree with the desensitization to cold described here. I started surfing in February at the height of storm season when air was 19 with heavy winds and water was 36. Probably why I'll trunk it in low 60s and couldn't wait to last spring/summer. Cold as hell was all I knew for a fair while in my surfing so nothing turns me off. Stoke warms you up an additional 15-35 degrees depending on how stoked you are. That's a fact.

Images
    Just do like this guy does...

NakedSurfer.jpg

Images
    Yeah, um, this fall's water temperatures ain't abnormally high. Not t'all. Pretty typical, quite actually. The change into November usually signifies(SIGNIFY my brother) a contemplation of wetsuit change.

3 mils are nice and good until water hits 54-52.........and then that depends on whether the air temperatures cooperate. Two Sundays ago it was kind of hard offshore and the air was in the 40's, so yeah I put the 5 mil on.....yeah the water was probably 56, but the air, man, the air..........And the winds, man, the winds. I wasn't "TOO HOT" or anything. The winds, man, the winds......

If the water is 54 and it is 60 F out.....then a 3 mil is very nice like a southern California winter, but if the air temps drop then you throw on a thicker suit. That's all.......ain't no big thang.

Ain't no advice or "STANDARD" one can give a cracker on when to change-up suits. Experience counts a little but not too much. It's just one of them thangs that happens. You adjust just like the swallows of Capistrano - by instinct.......

If you wear a 3 mil too late......you get colder quicker. If you are contemplating a 3 mil then you ain't going to completely freeze, but you might not be as comfortable as you could have.

Wearing a 5 or a 4 (a 4 mil being completely useless for NJ, unless you have the scratch to be so finely detailed. If so, go for it, but it's pretty much a waste of good crack money) in water under 55 is not going to have you "TOO HOT."

If the air is under 50, and the water is hitting the low 50's, than ditch the 3 mil..........and the winds, man, the winds....

Boots: 59 F
    Gloves: 57-56 F...........Now that's required by law.

Some dudes on here rock the 3 mil in mid-March. I highly advise against that, considering the water is in the low to mid 40's..........

Everybody has that period each Fall and Spring when they wonder what thickness to wear. You aren't alone. It happens to everyone .......every year. It's part of the magic of east coast surfing...........

I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Yeah, um, this fall's water temperatures ain't abnormally high. Not t'all. Pretty typical, quite actually. The change into November usually signifies(SIGNIFY my brother) a contemplation of wetsuit change.

3 mils are nice and good until water hits 54-52.........and then that depends on whether the air temperatures cooperate. Two Sundays ago it was kind of hard offshore and the air was in the 40's, so yeah I put the 5 mil on.....yeah the water was probably 56, but the air, man, the air..........And the winds, man, the winds. I wasn't "TOO HOT" or anything. The winds, man, the winds......

If the water is 54 and it is 60 F out.....then a 3 mil is very nice like a southern California winter, but if the air temps drop then you throw on a thicker suit. That's all.......ain't no big thang.

Ain't no advice or "STANDARD" one can give a cracker on when to change-up suits. Experience counts a little but not too much. It's just one of them thangs that happens. You adjust just like the swallows of Capistrano - by instinct.......

If you wear a 3 mil too late......you get colder quicker. If you are contemplating a 3 mil then you ain't going to completely freeze, but you might not be as comfortable as you could have.

Wearing a 5 or a 4 (a 4 mil being completely useless for NJ, unless you have the scratch to be so finely detailed. If so, go for it, but it's pretty much a waste of good crack money) in water under 55 is not going to have you "TOO HOT."

If the air is under 50, and the water is hitting the low 50's, than ditch the 3 mil..........and the winds, man, the winds....

Boots: 59 F
    Gloves: 57-56 F...........Now that's required by law.

Some dudes on here rock the 3 mil in mid-March. I highly advise against that, considering the water is in the low to mid 40's..........

Everybody has that period each Fall and Spring when they wonder what thickness to wear. You aren't alone. It happens to everyone .......every year. It's part of the magic of east coast surfing...........

I love you.

thanks brother - respect!

I feel like such a douche, I have a .5 mill long sleeve top only. For when the water drops to the low 70's. Helps to get rid of the chills. A bud also gave me his fullsuit, I think it's a 3/2. Haven't HAD to use it yet.
    Woohoo s. Fl.
    Use all are hard core up der!

I've actually thrown a spring suit over my full and it worked out pretty well. Don't remember the thickness of the suits, couldn't have been very thick cause I actually had pretty good flexibility. I think I had a hole in my full suit in the peepee area and that's originally why I did it.

Wetsuit technology has come a long way but I feel as if we could do way more in the advancement of keeping us warm in the water. Maybe like those bags that you use to put heat on sore muscles. Maybe there's a way to put that gel into a wetsuit to keep you warm, or maybe we could just make slightly radioactive wetsuits. I'd sacrifice a year or two of life on the back end for some extremely warm surfing in good waves!

Has anyone tried the Quicksilver wetsuit that has the battery operated heater in it?

I have a body glove hooded vest that a friend who quit surfing gave me a couple of years ago. I think it is one of the thicker models and it is pretty old but in good shape. It is one of those hoods that is easy to pull off your head and scrunch around your neck fairly comfortably if you want to paddle out with a hood/no hood option. I wore it under my really old hoodless 4/3 the last couple of winters and that setup with gloves and booties kept me pretty warm through Dec and after Feb. (I also got a 6/5/4 hyperflex for cold days in Jan/Feb.)

I am also wearing the hooded vest under my new 3/2 now cause sometimes this time of year the wind and air temp make my earsies cold sitting in the lineup, and the hood works great for that.

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    I've actually thrown a spring suit over my full and it worked out pretty well. Don't remember the thickness of the suits, couldn't have been very thick cause I actually had pretty good flexibility. I think I had a hole in my full suit in the peepee area and that's originally why I did it.

Wetsuit technology has come a long way but I feel as if we could do way more in the advancement of keeping us warm in the water. Maybe like those bags that you use to put heat on sore muscles. Maybe there's a way to put that gel into a wetsuit to keep you warm, or maybe we could just make slightly radioactive wetsuits. I'd sacrifice a year or two of life on the back end for some extremely warm surfing in good waves!

Has anyone tried the Quicksilver wetsuit that has the battery operated heater in it?

I've tried the heated wetsuit...It sucks - doesn't make any difference in body warmth

Images
    I busted out the 4/3 last week, when that cold front pushed through. Boots and gloves too, which was the first for all 3 this year. As far as bringing the 3/2 back out in the Spring, its usually not until May, and sometimes not until the middle or later in May, as the ocean takes a while to heat back up. April is usually still balls cold.