LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Yeah, um, this fall's water temperatures ain't abnormally high. Not t'all. Pretty typical, quite actually. The change into November usually signifies(SIGNIFY my brother) a contemplation of wetsuit change.

3 mils are nice and good until water hits 54-52.........and then that depends on whether the air temperatures cooperate. Two Sundays ago it was kind of hard offshore and the air was in the 40's, so yeah I put the 5 mil on.....yeah the water was probably 56, but the air, man, the air..........And the winds, man, the winds. I wasn't "TOO HOT" or anything. The winds, man, the winds......

If the water is 54 and it is 60 F out.....then a 3 mil is very nice like a southern California winter, but if the air temps drop then you throw on a thicker suit. That's all.......ain't no big thang.

Ain't no advice or "STANDARD" one can give a cracker on when to change-up suits. Experience counts a little but not too much. It's just one of them thangs that happens. You adjust just like the swallows of Capistrano - by instinct.......

If you wear a 3 mil too late......you get colder quicker. If you are contemplating a 3 mil then you ain't going to completely freeze, but you might not be as comfortable as you could have.

Wearing a 5 or a 4 (a 4 mil being completely useless for NJ, unless you have the scratch to be so finely detailed. If so, go for it, but it's pretty much a waste of good crack money) in water under 55 is not going to have you "TOO HOT."

If the air is under 50, and the water is hitting the low 50's, than ditch the 3 mil..........and the winds, man, the winds....

Boots: 59 F
    Gloves: 57-56 F...........Now that's required by law.

Some dudes on here rock the 3 mil in mid-March. I highly advise against that, considering the water is in the low to mid 40's..........

Everybody has that period each Fall and Spring when they wonder what thickness to wear. You aren't alone. It happens to everyone .......every year. It's part of the magic of east coast surfing...........

I love you.
    Well said...

Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    Sale on seshday.com right now on winter excel drylocks though.
    Glad to see others utilizing this site. I just ordered an Excel hooded dry lock for $249 after getting an additional 25% off during a sale day. It should be here in time for some nuggets next week. Fingers crossed. You should all be using this site. PM me or 34th for our e-mail addresses which will save you an additional $10 on your first purchase over $50.
    Everything I have ordered from there(which is a lot of sh@t) has been quality!

I usually stay in the 3/2 until mid December. I'll throw a hooded vest on if the air's real cold

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    I busted out the 4/3 last week, when that cold front pushed through. Boots and gloves too, which was the first for all 3 this year. As far as bringing the 3/2 back out in the Spring, its usually not until May, and sometimes not until the middle or later in May, as the ocean takes a while to heat back up. April is usually still balls cold.

Nice - what about 3/2 with booties in April if outside temp is 75 + with little wind

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    Holy good God almighty!!!! Air temp 20, water temp 50's!!!! That's ridiculous!

Luckily we are still skinning it down here. Usually round Thanksgiving we break out the spring suits.

I've seen picts before of guys up north surfing and there was snow on the beach! Course we get snow on the beach down here but it comes in little brick packages!

I remember when we were kids we would walk down the beach and jump the fences of the hotels (or sometimes just walk through the gate) and most of them would have hot tubs outside by the pool. We would jump in the hot tub and your wetsuit would suck up all that nice hot water and then you would dash out down the beach and paddle out. It was so sweet because you could hit the water and not even feel it.

On a side note, do you guys actually get ice chunkies in the water or ice burgs up there?
    Was at cocoa pier last weekend and several dudes were in full 3/2's already, I was skinning it and was warm, such pu$$ies some of these dudes

Quote Originally Posted by bdub17 View Post
    Nice - what about 3/2 with booties in April if outside temp is 75 + with little wind
    Dude. Get a couple suits out of what people have already suggested IN EXPERIENCED DETAIL. Then, do what any good man does: see what works for you. What you're asking for is a damn near Farmer's Almanac of what neoprene ensemble to outfit yourself in each sesh of the year. That borders on an on-call life coach, which several on here would take you up on some fit for it while others not.

Brah, I've spent my whole life asking nonstop questions so I can learn. It's what I did since I came on this board too since there's so many near-legends on here that have seen it all. But while I was asking them everything, I was also charging waves every day of the week no matter what the temp, size, condition, sun, sleet, or snow. You'll find advice here that you couldn't buy most other places, but these vets aren't gonna pull-up the zipper on the back of your wetty for you.

FREE ADVICE ON SI ANY DAY

farmers almanac of neoprene- very funny

we need to make an n-dimensional hyper matrix with all the variables; water temp, air temp, wind speed, direction etc so we can dial into the EXACT accessories and wetties for any given condition

but we also need to know your weight, height, and metabolism to make sure it's accurate. Be sure to send stool samples to Charles Taylor for metabolic ANALysis
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Nov 15, 2013 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Was at cocoa pier last weekend and several dudes were in full 3/2's already, I was skinning it and was warm, such pu$$ies some of these dudes
    Oh yeah, you always see at least a handful of those guys! I also like watching the guys that get out of their car with their suits already on! Like they just drove 30 miles from home neoprene roasting their nuts on the way to the beach!

IMO, water temp is key, tho outside air/wind speed can dictate what I may wear as much as water temp. Blowin hard last week with air temp in mid to upper 30's. Went from wearing 3/2 no gloves and booties a few days prior, to wearing 4/3 hood gloves and booties...my face froze, actually got relief from duck diving.

I just returned back to surfing from over a 15 year hiatus and then I was still wearing suits that were probably 5 - 10 years old. One thing that now amazes me how easy it is to paddle...far less fatiguing. Those old suits seemed stiff and not flexible unlike today's technology.

Great to feel the stoke again and actually look forward to winter surfing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post
    IMO, water temp is key, tho outside air/wind speed can dictate what I may wear as much as water temp. Blowin hard last week with air temp in mid to upper 30's. Went from wearing 3/2 no gloves and booties a few days prior, to wearing 4/3 hood gloves and booties...my face froze, actually got relief from duck diving.
    Did you surf OC, MD Friday? that water was FRIGID. Seriously...it had to be 10 degrees colder than it was that last real swell we had a week ago.