LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

3/2 Can I wear it I live on Longisland

I have a 3/2 quicksilver wetsuit with a back zip. Would I be fine in the water. I live on Long Island.

Images
    you should be good with a 3/2 now that the air temps are up. Water temps according to buoys are in the upper 50's. Any locals want to chime in on what they are wearing?

3/2

definitely 3/2 weather. with the air temps in the mid to upper 70's and water temps almost touching 60 in western LI. Booties still though, i went in the other day w/o them and it hurt like a son of a b****h.

Images
    I wear a 3/2 no boots/gloves. I live in NJ. With a S swell, just make sure you wear boots or boots/gloves

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    I wear a 3/2 no boots/gloves. I live in NJ. With a S swell, just make sure you wear boots or boots/gloves
    actually S currents wont cause upwelling in NY - only for east facing coasts.

West currents will cause upwelling in NY.

Images
    Psh... someone studies...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    Psh... someone studies...
    that i do. the process is called the eckman transport. Due to the earth's rotation, the average water movement is 90 degrees to the right of the wind direction. So if the wind is S, the water moves from west to east causing optimal upwelling. For NY, the W wind will cause the current to move from north to south.

Here's the first google result for eckman transport:
    http://sparce.evac.ou.edu/q_and_a/oc...rculations.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    that i do. the process is called the eckman transport. Due to the earth's rotation, the average water movement is 90 degrees to the right of the wind direction. So if the wind is S, the water moves from west to east causing optimal upwelling. For NY, the W wind will cause the current to move from north to south.

Here's the first google result for eckman transport:
    http://sparce.evac.ou.edu/q_and_a/oc...rculations.htm
    wow you would never think surf conditions would be this complex. and i thought high school was hard psst.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostonli View Post
    wow you would never think surf conditions would be this complex. and i thought high school was hard psst.
    the spatial and temporal variability of surf conditions is very complex -> thus the challenge of forecasting.

I bodyboard (I live in Central Long Island) and I have been wearing a 3/2 backzip with no boots or gloves for about a month now. I've been in on cool rainy days and besides being slightly chilly at first, I am more than comfortable for several hours of water time. I usually hit the beach after work, so I'm in around 5:00PM or so when it's not that warm. With the weather heating up though it won't be long till it's time for trunks.