LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    is that low east of the Bahamas an upper level feature. It looks nice on water vapor imagry

Images
    Yes, this is a little upper level low here.

Check out this:
    http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-avn.html

then, click on the top HDW-High, HDW-Low, and these show the winds in the upper and lower atmosphere.
    Last edited by Swellinfo; Jun 7, 2008 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    that i do. the process is called the eckman transport. Due to the earth's rotation, the average water movement is 90 degrees to the right of the wind direction. So if the wind is S, the water moves from west to east causing optimal upwelling. For NY, the W wind will cause the current to move from north to south.

Here's the first google result for eckman transport:
    http://sparce.evac.ou.edu/q_and_a/oc...rculations.htm
    Eckman Transport........... also related to the Corolis Effect. Wind changes and direction are also affected by this (of course).

- Vic

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVic View Post
    Eckman Transport........... also related to the Corolis Effect. Wind changes and direction are also affected by this (of course).

- Vic
    Ya, the coriolis force is the force caused by the earth's rotation.

Gahhh..

All of this talk of rotational science is giving me a migraine. ; )

But back to the OP's question, today was the first day I went in with barefeet and fins. My feet were chilly at first, but then they were fine. My hands got a bit cold after awhile.

Maybe another week or so of these nice air temps and I can go down to a spring suit or a jacket and shorts. Whee!