LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93
  1. #1

    Moving south - Folly vs. Wrightsville?

    Hey everyone - tired of freezing my A$$ off up here and am researching a move south. Curious to hear about the surf in Folly vs. Wrightsville?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,354
    Wrightsville is better for surfing, but I prefer Charleston area as a place to live. Our girl to guy ratio is awesome, downtown is beautiful, the restaurant scene will make any foodie happy, and our microbreweries are fantastic. Folly has spots like the Washout and the Pier, which both get really crowded in decent swells. There are some other spots on the island that also get pretty good. IOP is just to the north of CHS, and I have found the waves on certain spots there to be on par with Folly (even the Washout).

  3. #3
    folly is super preppy and for frat bros and they have no waves whatsoever. wrightsville can get waves and is full of dirty hipster rippers. stay where you are.

  4. #4
    kind of how i was thinking about it. how much rubber do you need in Jan/Feb? hood and booties?


    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Wrightsville is better for surfing, but I prefer Charleston area as a place to live. Our girl to guy ratio is awesome, downtown is beautiful, the restaurant scene will make any foodie happy, and our microbreweries are fantastic. Folly has spots like the Washout and the Pier, which both get really crowded in decent swells. There are some other spots on the island that also get pretty good. IOP is just to the north of CHS, and I have found the waves on certain spots there to be on par with Folly (even the Washout).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,113
    You should also consider New Smyrna Beach for wave consistency and warmth. If food is a driving factor, I'd go to Folly since it is Charleston, and they have awesome food in Charleston. I've never been to either Folly or Wrightsville, but I think Wrightsville has more consistent surf and is way closer to the Outer Banks for surf missions. Just my ignorant 2 cents as always.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NMB, SC
    Posts
    214
    Images
    5
    I live between both places, have many friends in both places, been surfing both places for the last 20 years. Hands down Wrightsville- Wilmington area, yea Charleston has that southern stuck up charm and a decent wave but Wilmington,Wrightsville, and CB are west coast towns on the east coast. They remind me of places I visisted in Southern Califonria...with a southern twist. Just something about Charleston...rich in history...too rich!!! Waves are more conisisent and there are more places to surf in south eastern nc. You got Folly and that's it so EVERYONE goes there...plus the water is always puke brown cause of the harbor. There are some awesome neighborhoods along the cape fear river, just outside of downtown wilmington, and towards the beaches. Can't go wrong with wilmington!!! Water temp can dip to the mid 40's... Good luck man!

  7. #7
    id love to do new smyrna but cant raise my kids there......was thinking about Jax area though....plus not state income tax.

    Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    You should also consider New Smyrna Beach for wave consistency and warmth. If food is a driving factor, I'd go to Folly since it is Charleston, and they have awesome food in Charleston. I've never been to either Folly or Wrightsville, but I think Wrightsville has more consistent surf and is way closer to the Outer Banks for surf missions. Just my ignorant 2 cents as always.

  8. #8
    what is "CB"?

    Quote Originally Posted by imperial View Post
    I live between both places, have many friends in both places, been surfing both places for the last 20 years. Hands down Wrightsville- Wilmington area, yea Charleston has that southern stuck up charm and a decent wave but Wilmington,Wrightsville, and CB are west coast towns on the east coast. They remind me of places I visisted in Southern Califonria...with a southern twist. Just something about Charleston...rich in history...too rich!!! Waves are more conisisent and there are more places to surf in south eastern nc. You got Folly and that's it so EVERYONE goes there...plus the water is always puke brown cause of the harbor. There are some awesome neighborhoods along the cape fear river, just outside of downtown wilmington, and towards the beaches. Can't go wrong with wilmington!!! Water temp can dip to the mid 40's... Good luck man!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by waverlysurf View Post
    folly is super preppy and for frat bros and they have no waves whatsoever. wrightsville can get waves and is full of dirty hipster rippers. stay where you are.
    Spoken like someone who has never been to Folly. If anything, I would say Folly is more filled with rednecks. And they get plenty of waves, just not as frequently as WB. In fact, Folly is probably the best place in SC for waves.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenroomhoo View Post
    kind of how i was thinking about it. how much rubber do you need in Jan/Feb? hood and booties?
    I have never used a hood here. I use a 4/3 in January, with some 2 or 3 mil booties. I need to get some gloves, but only think I will need 2mil for the coldest days in winter. I can usually get by with a spring suit up until mid November. This year is rather cold. Have you ever thought about northern Florida?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NMB, SC
    Posts
    214
    Images
    5
    Carolina Beach....sleepy little town south of wrightsville....way laid back and chill...got mucho amigos here