LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    How much time have you spent surfing IOP? Or even the Charleston area? I am out there 2-3 days every week, and have been for almost 2 years. I have been in this area off and on since 2007. Any time Folly is getting decent swell, there are a few different spots on IOP working just as well. I can openly admit that SC (and GA) is sort of the smaller wave state out of the east coast states. But to say IOP isn't worth mentioning in a conversation about Folly surfing is ignorant and inaccurate. Kiawah isn't nearly as good as Folly or IOP, but when those two islands are getting decent swell, you can still get nice rides at the park on Kiawah.
    I don't disagree, unless the post is inaccurate.
    i lived in kiawah for 4 years and chucktown for 2.

will you get waves? yes. crappy shin high waves for 350+ days of the year. a decent swell will roll in every now and then but you will already be in a boredom coma when it finally reaches shore. not my cup of tea, but obviously yours. to each their own.

to the op: senc is the better choice for waves. no doubt. wrightsville is cool and all but i wouldnt live there with those assholes. best finding a spot in wilmington or pleasure island. the whole wilmington area is the tits. barely crowded and there are beaches everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    i lived in kiawah for 4 years and chucktown for 2.

will you get waves? yes. crappy shin high waves for 350+ days of the year. a decent swell will roll in every now and then but you will already be in a boredom coma when it finally reaches shore. not my cup of tea, but obviously yours. to each their own.

to the op: senc is the better choice for waves. no doubt. wrightsville is cool and all but i wouldnt live there with those assholes. best finding a spot in wilmington or pleasure island. the whole wilmington area is the tits. barely crowded and there are beaches everywhere.
    Now someone is really exaggerating.

Lot of idiots on Swellinfo.

Folly and Charleston are great places to live and the surf does get good and once in a while great. If you have a varied quiver.....log, fish, shortboard, you will be surfinig a lot. But you will go mad with the flat spells. But if you live on the east coast you already know that. SENC is more consistent but not all that much more. They are both great places to live but not somewhere to move "for the surf." I get to travel out of country just to surf a couple months a year. Between that and the fun to good days we get here I am happy. If I couldn't do that this place would drive me crazy surf wise.

appreciate all the thoughts. pretty much can live where i want with what i do, so i can pick my spot. Sadly the west coast time zone will be too harsh on me so i must stay east (i would even go further east, which would be better but think crossing the pond is going to be difficult)

I have to balance quality of living location too. It has to be decent enough to raise a family and send kids to good enough schools.

is Florida that much better than other spots on the east coast? I know Smyrna is....but wonder about the other exposed coasts like Jax/St. Aug etc.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Myrtle gets my vote for the worst place to surf in SC. IOP and Folly have much better and more consistent waves than Myrtle. When there are hurricanes, we can see nice head high+ days. Just last week, they had a few clean shoulder high days. You will still be much happier with the waves down in FL. I know a guy that just moved down there, and his pictures make me jealous. Like I said, I don't live here for the surfing. This area has a lot more to offer, which is why I am happy with my decision to stay here.

I would put anywhere in SC behind VB even. If you want to live in a quaint southern town, then by all means move to Charleston. If you want to surf with any regularity south of the Mason-Dixon line, your choices are OBX, Central FL, or Southern NC in that order.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    You should also consider New Smyrna Beach for wave consistency and warmth. If food is a driving factor, I'd go to Folly since it is Charleston, and they have awesome food in Charleston.
    who moves for food?

Wrightsville beach has reached its quota of outa-towners and has been shut down. Please call back in 2016 when it is set to be re-opened.

Thanks,
    Board of Alderman

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    Wrightsville beach has reached its quota of outa-towners and has been shut down. Please call back in 2016 when it is set to be re-opened.

Thanks,
    Board of Alderman
    lol...the WB Board of Aldermen never seemed particularly fond of the surfing community, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    who moves for food?
    Forum Platinum, HOF.