LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Come on down and join the party. White flighters everywhere I go. Elbow to elbow with Jerkys, New Yonkers, and VA Beachers in New Hanover county. Rich ones at the beach, poor ones across the ICW. And what is with the Michiganders in Charleston? Why do they pick SC? I've met dozens of these folks over the past few years in and around Chucktown. Sour on union jobs? Retirement from being taxed into oblivion? Go figure. Not complaining mind you, non of them can surf anyhoo and there is plenty of room. From what I understand one of the real fears of the southern man after the Civil War was that the yankees were coming to take thier land from them with guns but it really was with spastic attitudes and it took them 150 years. They were greatly over rated at best.

Quote Originally Posted by greenroomhoo View Post
    is Florida that much better than other spots on the east coast? I know Smyrna is....but wonder about the other exposed coasts like Jax/St. Aug etc.
    Not better than ALL other spots on the east coast, but the Jax, St. Aug area is pretty consistent. More consistent than all of South Carolina and more of a variety of waves. The continental shelf seems to suck more energy out of swell in SC and Georgia than NC and FLA.

Edit: by the way I think Charleston is a great city and would love to live there.
    Last edited by South Bethany; Nov 16, 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Images
    You won't move out west because of the time zone.....? You'll get used to that, dude.

Why can't you raise kids in New Smyrna? Aaron Cormican hails from there and he turned out just fine.

If you have the ability to move ANYWHERE and surfing is a factor why the Southeast? What aboot Montauk, NY; Deal, NJ; or Ventnor, NJ. No seriously, why are your choices so limited?

Ocean City, Maryland is nice. It gets consistent waves(by east coast standards), it's not scary like Camden, it's not all red-neck burn outs like parts of Florida, and seems to enjoy a nice quality of life. Busy summers and mellow winters gives you the best of both worlds. It's got a cool vibe there.

Northern New Jersey gives you a plethora of surf choices, great schools, the best governor in U.S. history, a mix of good and bad neighborhoods that will give you and your kids some edge to you(Colts Neck to Newark), and the greatest city in the world is just a hop, skip and a jump away. It has anything you want. Plus, Dowd the Third lives around there and he's top dog.

Boston is the best city in the U.S., in my opinion. Best education opportunities for your youngins, and a sophisticated townie atmosphere that lends to well-rounded individuals. Hob knob in Cambridge, and drink beer in a neighborhood bar in Dorchester. Many happy college students abound. Good job opportunities. Yes, you'll have to drive to surf, but New England is friggin scenic man. Spark one up and enjoy the ride.

Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island can all be at your Boston doorstep, and there's spots in Mass, besides The Cape, that can be much happy on the right swell(inconsistent but happens...shoot you can even surf in the Boston Harbor sometimes...) And Cape Cod is awesome - a quaint wilderness. Though it must kind of suck in the summer with the summer tourists, unless you're wired for to accept and enjoy that stuff. I wish I was....I'm getting there though.

Though Boston area roadways suck with the traffic....more annoying than LA, in my opinion, but not as quite as annoying as the DC/Northern Virginia area.

Listen man, I can dig Charleston's historical and cultural vibe. Totally. And Southern North Carolina is home to the world's best woman - Jenelle...........

But Erock doesn't need more people paddling out at Masonboro or C St. Please respect him and scratch Wrightsville Beach off of your list. Thank You.

Erock's the man. I enjoy his knowledge and fish stories and I really don't care for fishermen too much. That shows his exceptionalism. And I'm not playing games Erock. I'm serious.

And World B. Freilinghaus (sorry if I botched the name, dude) is a righteous dude. Some of you guys make me accept and even like humanity. World B, you coming back to Jersey for Thanksgiving or Christmas?

My Dear Mr. Bear. Good tidings to you and to all the assembled.

Alas the travels for the year have been exhausted. Just back in Chiba City after a sweet week in PR. Had some of the best conditions of my life and I'm still flyin'. Girl B. is already hooking up our next sojourn.

Isle of Chiba for this am's dawn patrol seemed awfully cold by comparison...but a nice sesh never the less. You Yankees do me proud storming the beach at this time of year! Keep it warm.

Fear not Jet; we'll charge those Deal 23 footers some day...until then I'll just tilt with windmills.

Slide on.

all great thoughts but i am tired of freezing my a$$ off. OC MDs sandbars ARE gone....vanished never to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    You won't move out west because of the time zone.....? You'll get used to that, dude.

Why can't you raise kids in New Smyrna? Aaron Cormican hails from there and he turned out just fine.

If you have the ability to move ANYWHERE and surfing is a factor why the Southeast? What aboot Montauk, NY; Deal, NJ; or Ventnor, NJ. No seriously, why are your choices so limited?

Ocean City, Maryland is nice. It gets consistent waves(by east coast standards), it's not scary like Camden, it's not all red-neck burn outs like parts of Florida, and seems to enjoy a nice quality of life. Busy summers and mellow winters gives you the best of both worlds. It's got a cool vibe there.

Northern New Jersey gives you a plethora of surf choices, great schools, the best governor in U.S. history, a mix of good and bad neighborhoods that will give you and your kids some edge to you(Colts Neck to Newark), and the greatest city in the world is just a hop, skip and a jump away. It has anything you want. Plus, Dowd the Third lives around there and he's top dog.

Boston is the best city in the U.S., in my opinion. Best education opportunities for your youngins, and a sophisticated townie atmosphere that lends to well-rounded individuals. Hob knob in Cambridge, and drink beer in a neighborhood bar in Dorchester. Many happy college students abound. Good job opportunities. Yes, you'll have to drive to surf, but New England is friggin scenic man. Spark one up and enjoy the ride.

Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island can all be at your Boston doorstep, and there's spots in Mass, besides The Cape, that can be much happy on the right swell(inconsistent but happens...shoot you can even surf in the Boston Harbor sometimes...) And Cape Cod is awesome - a quaint wilderness. Though it must kind of suck in the summer with the summer tourists, unless you're wired for to accept and enjoy that stuff. I wish I was....I'm getting there though.

Though Boston area roadways suck with the traffic....more annoying than LA, in my opinion, but not as quite as annoying as the DC/Northern Virginia area.

Listen man, I can dig Charleston's historical and cultural vibe. Totally. And Southern North Carolina is home to the world's best woman - Jenelle...........

But Erock doesn't need more people paddling out at Masonboro or C St. Please respect him and scratch Wrightsville Beach off of your list. Thank You.

Erock's the man. I enjoy his knowledge and fish stories and I really don't care for fishermen too much. That shows his exceptionalism. And I'm not playing games Erock. I'm serious.

And World B. Freilinghaus (sorry if I botched the name, dude) is a righteous dude. Some of you guys make me accept and even like humanity. World B, you coming back to Jersey for Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Many thanks for everyone's input on this thread. Given me lots of helpful ideas, thoughts and advice.

Dudebrobra, You want to move to WrightsVille Beach. It has UNCW 10 minutes away and there is literally beautiful girls everywhere. Watch out for bad drivers though. Waves are decent, pretty much knee to waste high close outs everyday but you get a handful of fun days each month. There is a "notsosecret" spot on the south side of the island, you paddle 15 minutes across the inlet and there is a whole protected barrier island that has pretty good surf. You have to pay to park here in the busy season, which was a pain in the ass in my opinion. Fun town though!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    brew "i'll disagree with anything you say" engineer

you can't be serious by suggesting kiawah and isle of palms.
    You obviously know nothing about surfing in SC. This is the Isle of Palms pier a few days before Irene passed. Also, Kiawah has probably the longest wave in SC. You just need to know where to go and when to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

with all due respect, why do people only post pics of their spot's most epic day of the year? I surfed the area for 2 years and it rarely got that big.

I'm guessing the op is more interested in consistency than that one day that it goes off...well, I would
    Last edited by waterbaby; Nov 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM.