LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by greenroomhoo View Post
    thanks for the thoughts. Of course factoring kids in is a big deal and NC's state colleges are a BIG DRAW to NC. Im not sure how SC schools shake out

I think the space coast is just too spread to raise them (we have vacad to new smyrna a bunch) and will be too much of a culture shock coming from where we are (between Bmore and DC).
    We have 2 awesome highschools in Charleston area, but the colleges aren't amazing. Well, MUSC is pretty damn good. Clemson is a great school, if you want a technical degree. Personally, I am a WVU grad, so I can't push for NC or SC schools too much. Coming from DC, you will be in culture shock in Charleston.

Ive surfed folly for the past 2+ years, the washout is a savior. everywhere else will be ankle high and it will be chest. SC is just way too damn inconsistent, i wouldn't move here

Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    Ive surfed folly for the past 2+ years, the washout is a savior. everywhere else will be ankle high and it will be chest. SC is just way too damn inconsistent, i wouldn't move here
    You should try leaving folly once in a while. If Folly is chest high, IOP is chest high.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    You should try leaving folly once in a while. If Folly is chest high, IOP is chest high.
    Gonna have to disagree; in my experience, on certain swell directions/winds, it will only be rideable at the washout while iop/folly pier/kiawah has nothing. the jetties help focus high angled swells (NE) much better than other spots.

Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    Gonna have to disagree; in my experience, on certain swell directions/winds, it will only be rideable at the washout while iop/folly pier/kiawah has nothing. the jetties help focus high angled swells (NE) much better than other spots.
    Every day there have been rideable waves at the Washout, I have been riding waves at the north end of IOP. How much time have you spent on IOP? I am out there at least 2-3 days a week. The jetties can't increase swell size magically. There is no way you can see ankle high waves at IOP or Kiawah, and somehow see chest high at the washout. The jetties on folly mostly help reflect the waves and help them barrel. This is a more aggressive effect of the same dynamics we see with certain sand bars on IOP.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Every day there have been rideable waves at the Washout, I have been riding waves at the north end of IOP. How much time have you spent on IOP? I am out there at least 2-3 days a week. The jetties can't increase swell size magically. There is no way you can see ankle high waves at IOP or Kiawah, and somehow see chest high at the washout. The jetties on folly mostly help reflect the waves and help them barrel. This is a more aggressive effect of the same dynamics we see with certain sand bars on IOP.
    Brew, you have no idea where this guy's chest is. He could be 3 ft tall and loving SC's waves.

You're right though, IOP=Folly=Kiawah. The washout's waves will be slightly steeper due to the fact that the beach is literally washing away making the beach steeper. The jetties do help but there is no magnification, for the entire wave only for the peak right next to jetty.

For the folks that haven't been here before, don't be fooled by the Washout's "jetties", they're merely rock outcroppings meant to hinder erosion. You're not going to experience any sheltering from the wind or wave wrapping around these things.

OP, if you're basing your decision on surf. Pack your bags for NC. I'd advise you to come visit both places before you make decision based on a surf predictin' site. I wouldn't make my decision after listening to the tourist that have passed through downtown Charleston (the peninsula) either. There are many scene's here.

Don't tell me this city ain't got no soul, ya just gotta poke around.

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I love that spot (the spot that shall not be mentioned) and hate that they're using a pic of it as their profile photo. Good thing you can't see any defining landmarks
    Yea it's a hype machine but the man does take some damn fine photos. just wanted the OP (and ok everyone else) to see how good we got it here in SENC Looking forward to these winds dying down hopefully for tomorrow!

Hey Clem,

Being totally honest here, not being a smart***...can you enlighten me on the scene around Chucktown? I'd love to go back some day, but if I get stuck in another bar looking at a sea of salmon golf shirts, plaid pants, and gucci sunglasses and being forced to listen to 70's soft rock...there will be blood...and a trail of bodies. Man can only take so much.

I know Clutch plays there on occasion, so there has to be something going on around there. I don't mind getting off the beaten path either.

A bit off topic so if you want to PM that's fine, unless the OP or others are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by tlokein View Post
    Hey Clem,

Being totally honest here, not being a smart***...can you enlighten me on the scene around Chucktown? I'd love to go back some day, but if I get stuck in another bar looking at a sea of salmon golf shirts, plaid pants, and gucci sunglasses and being forced to listen to 70's soft rock...there will be blood...and a trail of bodies. Man can only take so much.

I know Clutch plays there on occasion, so there has to be something going on around there. I don't mind getting off the beaten path either.

A bit off topic so if you want to PM that's fine, unless the OP or others are interested.
    Places to visit to get a better feel for the Charleston scene:
    Folly
    - Folly Beach Brewing Company
    - Surf Bar
    Sullivan's
    - Poe's
    - HomeTeam BBQ
    Mt P
    - House of Brews
    - Coleman Public House
    Down Town
    - Music Farm
    - The Griffon
    - Blind Tiger
    James Island
    - The Pour House

Those are just a few places that represent a better picture of Charleston, and not just the touristy mainstream crap most people go for.

Edit, didn't realize you just wanted music venues. Many of those places also have live music.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Nov 20, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks Brew! And no, doesn't have to be music venues, just places to get a good drink with enough dirtbags and freaks for me to feel at home and hear some decent music on the jukebox. Pretty much all I need.