LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Images
    Ahh Clemson, so what's the deal on this Thanksgiving thing? I've been waiting for the details and info. Plus, I need you to send me a bus ticket......plane would be even better.

Oh I don't eat turkey, I only eat pizza. So tell your servants to keep that in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Places to visit to get a better feel for the Charleston scene:
    Awesome list, brew - thank you! I'll be down in your neck of the woods for New Years, so your list will come in handy.

Quick question that might have already been asked/answered - How's the surf at Kiawah? Is it worth bringing a board? Any decent spots within biking distance? Thanks again!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Awesome list, brew - thank you! I'll be down in your neck of the woods for New Years, so your list will come in handy.

Quick question that might have already been asked/answered - How's the surf at Kiawah? Is it worth bringing a board? Any decent spots within biking distance? Thanks again!
    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/kiawahisland/

Images
    It's worth bringing a board to be away from the crowds. The public beach access is on the north side of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Brew, you have no idea where this guy's chest is. He could be 3 ft tall and loving SC's waves.

You're right though, IOP=Folly=Kiawah. The washout's waves will be slightly steeper due to the fact that the beach is literally washing away making the beach steeper. The jetties do help but there is no magnification, for the entire wave only for the peak right next to jetty.

For the folks that haven't been here before, don't be fooled by the Washout's "jetties", they're merely rock outcroppings meant to hinder erosion. You're not going to experience any sheltering from the wind or wave wrapping around these things.

OP, if you're basing your decision on surf. Pack your bags for NC. I'd advise you to come visit both places before you make decision based on a surf predictin' site. I wouldn't make my decision after listening to the tourist that have passed through downtown Charleston (the peninsula) either. There are many scene's here.

Don't tell me this city ain't got no soul, ya just gotta poke around.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Every day there have been rideable waves at the Washout, I have been riding waves at the north end of IOP. How much time have you spent on IOP? I am out there at least 2-3 days a week. The jetties can't increase swell size magically. There is no way you can see ankle high waves at IOP or Kiawah, and somehow see chest high at the washout. The jetties on folly mostly help reflect the waves and help them barrel. This is a more aggressive effect of the same dynamics we see with certain sand bars on IOP.
    I was exaggerating on the ankle/chest debate but honestly, knee high NE swell on iop/anywhere else on folly/kiawah it can be waist/stomach there on the best peak next to the best rock outcropping. I have also experienced, strictly on crappy NE swells, catching a wave on the north side, that wraps around the outcroppings southward and builds very nicely, so Clemson, maybe you haven't seen the wave on all types of swells/winds? And I definitely don't love SC's waves, I have grown up here, and surfed on this coast for 10+ years, as soon as I am done at the college, I'm out
    Last edited by idiot; Nov 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: ****ty/crappy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    I was exaggerating on the ankle/chest debate but honestly, knee high NE swell on iop/anywhere else on folly/kiawah it can be waist/stomach there on the best peak next to the best rock outcropping. I have also experienced, strictly on crappy NE swells, catching a wave on the north side, that wraps around the outcroppings southward and builds very nicely, so Clemson, maybe you haven't seen the wave on all types of swells/winds? And I definitely don't love SC's waves, I have grown up here, and surfed on this coast for 10+ years, as soon as I am done at the college, I'm out
    Good. One less idiot in the line up.

Sorry I had to. I'm right in the middle of you and brew. I think they're better than you say and brew may be overestimating them a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Good. One less idiot in the line up.

Sorry I had to. I'm right in the middle of you and brew. I think they're better than you say and brew may be overestimating them a bit.
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, NC and FL are way better surfing options. I just can't stand when people claim we have no waves most of the year. I also have an issue when Washout surfers claim the washout is some magical spot. It isn't. It is only slightly better than other spots on the right swells. However, if that misguided mentality keeps people off the other breaks, I guess I should encourage it. More crowds at the washout means less at my spot. Come one, come all! The washout is the next Deal, NJ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsurfnc View Post
    Live in Raleigh but frequent Wilmington. No beach in Raleigh/Cary-Durham-Chapel Hill but great place to work/find work and live/raise kids & more amenities of a larger metro area. Raleigh still close proximity to surf both Wrightsville and the Outer Banks any given day/weekend and closer to the NC mountains another plus. Wilmington ok. Find parts of the city cluttered and congested. Park system lacking, limited greenways, job market lacking. Driving up and down Market St and College Rd, Carolina Beach Rd gets to be a drag fast. Wrightsville nice in the off-season. Gets a little more crowded every summer with the population in NC growing quickly. Fall & winter season nice. Few cold days followed by warmer days. Water temps bottom out in Jan & Feb - can get painfully cold some years. Folks are pretty nice in Wilmington but some of the locals act like their zip code is center of the universe (guess they haven't traveled much). DT Wilmington nice waterfront. Wilmington has grown over the years but still far from the look and feel of a larger city. Overall good coastal town. Was just down in Folly/Charleston. Pretty equivalent to Wilmington-Wrightsville in look and feel. Surf was fun while I was at Folly while I was there but just had to deal with the brown water . Cant go wrong living in the Carolinas both great coastline, inland cities, mountains, friendly folks and good weather.
    Periods do not equal bullet points.

Kerouac surfs? Gnarly!!!!

WB ALWAYS has overhead surf.... just depends if you're standing on your head or not.

BTW, it's chest+ right now.