LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A wooden fish

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Charles you got a bait barrel in there too!
    I do catch lobsters from time to time to earn cash. Some of the most foul men on this planet exist off the coast of Maine on lobster boats

The board is coming along nice Charles. Looks like it will fly once it is all done.

Images
    image.jpg

The 5'6" rasta fish. Concave is single right now but a double will be applied after the bottom is laminated on.

4. This is a good Idea... where are the pictures??? where ya at in the process?

Images
    This is where I'm at in the process lol

6. Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    This is where I'm at in the process lol
    Whoops, only looked at page 1. Looks great man. What woods are you using?

Images
    I'm using a wood called paulownia. It's similar to balsa but much better. The little fish weighs 9 lbs right now as seen.

8. awesome... where do you find paulownia in the states? I was under the impression it was indigenous to OZ and cost a fortune to get here?

Im digging this. I bought two paulownia "blanks" a while back..got the shipped from Hawaii.. it was my first attempt at shaping.. made an alaia. I surfed it once and caught a few waves before it split on me by the tail. Glued it up but haven't been on it since. I still have the other piece in the shed waiting to make something with. How much would you sell something this size for if you dont mind me asking?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSoul View Post
    Im digging this. I bought two paulownia "blanks" a while back..got the shipped from Hawaii.. it was my first attempt at shaping.. made an alaia. I surfed it once and caught a few waves before it split on me by the tail. Glued it up but haven't been on it since. I still have the other piece in the shed waiting to make something with. How much would you sell something this size for if you dont mind me asking?
    Well my boards aren't for sale first of all lol, I have a kick arse furniture shop so I've sectioned a area dedicated to my exploration of shaping surfboards. You know puff puff read surf books and research stuff and cut wood and glue it up... Listen to lots of music.... Chill with buddies and shape.. And surf

The fish in the pic is actually for my brother who is paying me for the board however. I asked for the cost of materials which is 400 $ 300 for paulownia and 100 for resin and some other small items. Then when it's done he will throw me another 400 for my time which is nothing really. The color scheme is rasta so it's neat to look at too. Varying epoxy resin coloring for the intricate component parts in their layup.

You can buy paulownia is the US it's not cheap tho but the best wood for surfboards. Light, mills nicely, sands wonderfully, looks pretty good, it's just the best I think. Cedar is great too, probably better quality wood but it's heavier so I'm willing to sacrifice some quality for light weight.