LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A wooden fish

Talk about starting from scratch! Even the wood kit boards are a hell of a project!

Good luck man!

Images
    10302013143.jpg heres my project. 8ft fun shape. not too tough once you get the hang of it

Images
    That's a nice build. Once you start laying the strips on it all makes sense. I would suggest drilling some holes in the ribs and spine so you don't create sealed bulkheads, it's good to have the hollow chambers connected with air holes so you can let it vent properly. Plus if you make holes in the ribs and spine your also removing material which is weight reduction. The strength won't be compromised by holes.

Very cool. Good job!

Images
    Getting ready to lay the bottom on. Then the shaping starts. Puff puff listen to jimi Hendrix and away I go with a belt sander.

I put some 4 ounce glass on the underside of the bottom panel to give a little extra meat. The kid who's getting this board thinks he will launch airs .... Hmmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Getting ready to lay the bottom on. Then the shaping starts. Puff puff listen to jimi Hendrix and away I go with a belt sander.

I put some 4 ounce glass on the underside of the bottom panel to give a little extra meat. The kid who's getting this board thinks he will launch airs .... Hmmmm
    They go fast enough to get airs for sure! If he can is all in his abilities right? Fishes are just down right fun.

Images
    image.jpg

Fin placement template + plan shape template

Running 0 degrees toe for the back twins and a 5 degree toe in for the forward. I figured a true old school fish planshape would like free running twins. But the quad option is there too. What do you avid short boarders think of this ?

Images
    image.jpg

Cant angles anyone ?

are you trimming it down to that line?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leetymike808 View Post
    are you trimming it down to that line?
    So basically what I've done is built a close tolerance blank much like a foam blank but it's hollow wood instead, it has just enough wood in the rails to then be sculpted to its final shape with hand sanding and using a belt sander.

So yes the shape you see on the board with the fins is the plan shape. Once that's cut I shape the rail profiles And rocker is already laminated in. 3 inches in the nose with 1.5 in the tail. Rocker apex is fairly far forward id say so the tail is flattish