LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A wooden fish

Images
    I'm really pumped to see how this thing will go, the guy who it's for is a very good surfer so as a shaper I am all into doing it best I can for a true short boarder style rider. As of now this fish will be going to Costa Rica for Two weeks. It might be the first time a parallel profile fish has hit those waters. There is really in my opinion little visible evidence of how a Parallel profile short board fish of this type will really ride. A few fellows on swaylocks from AU built a very similar board but the ride report and overall talk of it was pretty quiet except they said it rode well.

I don't see why the board won't be exceptional as far as short board expectations go.

Its not gonna really snap out a turn as well as a standard thruster shortboard. But all other aspects will be very similar. If hes a shredder there shouldnt be much he cant do on it vs on his hp shortboard.

And ride reports are all based on the individual. Have u ever really tried to describe your best sessions on a "magic board"? You cant cause everything happens so fluidly its to hard to describe. At least for me. I may be able to say yeah it went fast and cranked some solid turns, got a lil head dipper, or something to that effect. But a real description, naw thats to much thinkin.

Images
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Now it's kinda like a foam blank

4. how thick is the wood you constructed the "blank" with? after the planing the rocker and rails will the board be structurally sound? (too thin? gaps in between deck and rail? etc.) its interesting to me. Im assuming you thought way ahead being a woodworker, just wondering

Images
    The total thickness is 2 3/8

I've left wood inside the board on the rails to be shaped off in order to be able to sculpt the
    Rail shape in. Rocker and concave are already pre moulded into the blank.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    There is really in my opinion little visible evidence of how a Parallel profile short board fish of this type will really ride.
    Why do you say that? That shape has been around for decades. Am I missing something?

When Grain surfboards did an east coast trip a few years ago, I rode one of the hollow wooden boards that was about that exact shape in a 5'10". The morning they were in Maryland, there were some really fun waist high clean a-frames coming in. First and only time on a wooden board. fun sesh!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Why do you say that? That shape has been around for decades. Am I missing something?

When Grain surfboards did an east coast trip a few years ago, I rode one of the hollow wooden boards that was about that exact shape in a 5'10". The morning they were in Maryland, there were some really fun waist high clean a-frames coming in. First and only time on a wooden board. fun sesh!
    I said that because the construction method in my board Is very different from a grain fish frame construction method. That's all. It's interesting to compare them for that exact reason too.

Images
    Oh right...I got it. I don't know anything about wooden boards.
    I love the shape, tho.

Looks good, Charles! Enjoying this thread and look forward to seeing the finished product.

Woo00ooo ! I've been following this thread, the fish looks so sick. How much? I might ask you to build me one after I see the finished product! Maybe I'll get one for Xmas for my son How long to build ?
    Last edited by White Sea Ape; Dec 9, 2013 at 03:44 AM.