LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A wooden fish

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Attachment 9654Attachment 9655

Now it's kinda like a foam blank
    Definitely looks like theres a fun little shape in there.

Images
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Still shaping but it's looking like a pretty nice board so far. It's super light weight too , 8 lbs with still lots of wood to come off on the rails

looks really cool. Im stoked out on it and i dont even get to ride it.

Did you draw out that blueprint? Cause holy hell that looks complicated.

Images
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Ready to seal it up. Maybe ready for next weeks swell image.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leetymike808 View Post
    looks really cool. Im stoked out on it and i dont even get to ride it.

Did you draw out that blueprint? Cause holy hell that looks complicated.
    Yeah so the entire build is basically constructed around the plan shape so you can create a blank that has enough wood in certain areas so you can shape it down to the finished board. The blue print looks like allot but all ya need to start it is a plan shape

6. Looks awesome, didnt take ya too long either, good work.

Hi Charles, regarding your question on Swaypox have a look at 'Seeka's' pintail which he made from one of our kits, he's using a varying rail shape rather than constant as I do, with great success

http://www.roystuart.biz/2011/02/see...0-pintail.html

Thickness distribution wise there's really no issue at all, if I were you I'd just go for it. The Swaylocks people will just run the idea down as it is a matter of religious faith to them that thickness profile must be tapered. The proof in the pudding as far as I'm concerned is that the PP works better.

Images
    Roy thanks for the great reply. Swaypox is cool but yes I think many of the folks there might not be of help. Pretty much I only want to use wood and I'm not willing to use the Tom Blake (now commonly identified as the grain method) so that leaves me the chambered, paul jenson rail laminating or the Roy stuart method. I think I choose the Roy style, it's allot of fun. I started up the swaylocks thread because I wanted some Criticism leading into my next self thought board. A boat builder who I work with from time to time who's not technically a naval architect but builds allot of things that float thinks the parallel profile is brilliant, I'm just basically trying to pry at people who know about surfboard design before I start using wood for my retro parallel profile channel rail.. Like I said on swaylocks, it's a path of unknowns that I might wander down.

It's like a disease once I became obsessed with building my own surfing experience, I need more !! Oh and the fish is coming along well. A bunch of the short board fanatics where I live have reservations to use the 5'6" I'm crafting, so far it's a hit and maybe I'll have work to finance my own projects for once haha.

Images
    image.jpg

This fish has a tapered rail towards the tail. Goes from 50/50 into 70/30 down rail. With a quad set up it will surely turn off the fins rather the rail so I figured soft and smooth would do

Looks great! I split my time between York and Bangor and build wood boards myself. I've only built 3 so still very new to it, but a very addicting hobby. I use the bead and cove method though.