LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What fins for the new stick

Had a trip to cali recently and I brought a Neckbeard back with me to NJ. Psyched!

It's just a thruster set up and I don't have future fins for it. CI recommends the Al Merrick template- hexagons, so I assume they are talking about the am-1 and am-2s honeycombs.

Obviously they're just trying to sell their fins, so who knows if it actually works best with the board. However, I've read a lot of good things about the fins so I'd like to try them out.

I am almost 6'2, and a little over 160 usually (I'm starting to lift though, so I should be getting a little heavier).

For those of you who have tried these fins, do you think the am-2s are a little too much fin for me and I should go with the am-1s? The neckbeard seems to be a loose board though so I wouldn't mind if it had a little more hold.

Also, is there a different between shaper's am-1s/am-2s and future fins am-1/am-2s?

EX:
    http://surfshop.com/online/almerrick...FS8OOgodFRgAcw

http://www.surfoutlet.com/ProductDet...9355#color=209

I usually just buy the fins that people tell me to buy. Ride Kellys on Merricks I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by desinaner View Post
    Also, is there a different between shaper's am-1s/am-2s and future fins am-1/am-2s?

EX:
    http://surfshop.com/online/almerrick...FS8OOgodFRgAcw

http://www.surfoutlet.com/ProductDet...9355#color=209
    Shapers Fins is an Australian company that makes a bunch of fins in Futures and FCS templates. They seem fine based on a couple sets I've had. I think Futures are made in California. I would say there is little or no difference between the two fin sets you linked to.
    Last edited by South Bethany; Nov 17, 2013 at 01:30 AM.

I find the fastest fins match the color of the board

Images
    I didn't like how swept back the AM template is - draws turns out too much for me. AM's are supposedly good for decent size point break, but I prefer a more upright fin like the WCT for standard beach break.

Honeycomb is the best of all combs.

I love Kelly's fins, they really have nice drive to them and you can feel a difference. I ride them in a Wynn biscuit, that 5'9" x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8. I'm 145 lb.

Images
    future WCT specs are actually really close to FCS K2.1 - I agree, I really like this fin template

The K3 is a little more swept back than the K2.1 - the Future YU is pretty close; as is the Solus
    Last edited by waterbaby; Nov 17, 2013 at 02:51 AM.

Blackstix - AM1s love them. they have a slight concave that adds a lot of lift and speed to the board. not great for fast/larger surf, board gets too skittish. switch to the WCT's when the surf gets a few feed overhead. their flat inside edges keep the board's speed in check, and their low rake allows for tighter turns.

Quote Originally Posted by South Bethany View Post
    Shapers Fins is an Australian company that makes a bunch of fins in Futures and FCS templates. They seem fine based on a couple sets I've had. I think Futures are made in California. I would say there is little or no difference between the two fin sets you linked to.
    Yea, I had a feeling there would be little to no difference, especially with them being with Al Merrick and named the same thing. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KookieMonster View Post
    I find the fastest fins match the color of the board
    Precisely why I asked about the shaper's fins.. sick colors! Hah your responses are funny..

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I didn't like how swept back the AM template is - draws turns out too much for me. AM's are supposedly good for decent size point break, but I prefer a more upright fin like the WCT for standard beach break.
    Could you or someone elaborate on the difference of point breaks and beach breaks more?

Do you want more drawn out turns for a point break because the wave typically peels and you might want some distance in your turns? Or with beach breaks you want to be able to pivot more sharply for whatever reason?

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    future WCT specs are actually really close to FCS K2.1 - I agree, I really like this fin template

The K3 is a little more swept back than the K2.1 - the Future YU is pretty close; as is the Solus
    Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    Blackstix - AM1s love them. they have a slight concave that adds a lot of lift and speed to the board. not great for fast/larger surf, board gets too skittish. switch to the WCT's when the surf gets a few feed overhead. their flat inside edges keep the board's speed in check, and their low rake allows for tighter turns.
    Ugh, waterbaby had me liking the idea of the WCTs, but what you're saying about the inside convave makes sense. Plus the WCTs would go awesome with my board (It's red, green, and yellow.. and I am painting the board with those colors. Would look sick with em. http://www.jackssurfboards.com/surf_...FTBnOgodNE0AxA)

Perhaps I should tell you guys when and how I want to surf. I have another 6'0 shortboard I'll be using in the winter with k2.1s. I will be using the neckbeard mostly during the fall (now) and on the winter days where it's firing but not that powerful. Figure waist to head high clean waves.. anything more and I'll probably switch the other board.
    I should be throwing airs soon, so I do want a lot of speed out of my turns.. but I am also trying to get a lot more vertical, so really tight, pivoty turns is important.
    The board already felt pretty loose in Cali, so I don't think I want fins that would make the board too loose or I feel I'll be slipping out all over the place. Which fins would go best with this?

Thanks for everyones help, I appreciate it!
    Last edited by desinaner; Nov 17, 2013 at 05:53 PM.