LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

What fins for the new stick

Had a trip to cali recently and I brought a Neckbeard back with me to NJ. Psyched!

It's just a thruster set up and I don't have future fins for it. CI recommends the Al Merrick template- hexagons, so I assume they are talking about the am-1 and am-2s honeycombs.

Obviously they're just trying to sell their fins, so who knows if it actually works best with the board. However, I've read a lot of good things about the fins so I'd like to try them out.

I am almost 6'2, and a little over 160 usually (I'm starting to lift though, so I should be getting a little heavier).

For those of you who have tried these fins, do you think the am-2s are a little too much fin for me and I should go with the am-1s? The neckbeard seems to be a loose board though so I wouldn't mind if it had a little more hold.

Also, is there a different between shaper's am-1s/am-2s and future fins am-1/am-2s?

EX:
    http://surfshop.com/online/almerrick...FS8OOgodFRgAcw

http://www.surfoutlet.com/ProductDet...9355#color=209

I usually just buy the fins that people tell me to buy. Ride Kellys on Merricks I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by desinaner View Post
    Also, is there a different between shaper's am-1s/am-2s and future fins am-1/am-2s?

EX:
    http://surfshop.com/online/almerrick...FS8OOgodFRgAcw

http://www.surfoutlet.com/ProductDet...9355#color=209
    Shapers Fins is an Australian company that makes a bunch of fins in Futures and FCS templates. They seem fine based on a couple sets I've had. I think Futures are made in California. I would say there is little or no difference between the two fin sets you linked to.
    Last edited by South Bethany; Nov 17, 2013 at 01:30 AM.

I find the fastest fins match the color of the board

I didn't like how swept back the AM template is - draws turns out too much for me. AM's are supposedly good for decent size point break, but I prefer a more upright fin like the WCT for standard beach break.

Honeycomb is the best of all combs.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieMonster View Post
    Honeycomb is the best of all combs.
    Very good point KM.

Let's please recognize the preferred fin for the 50-and-over LB crowd is the Honeycombover. They say you can hardly notice it.

Ya'll get sucked into the BS fin thing so easily. Under finned, over finned, fat guy, skinny dude, what's Kelly riding today? I long for the days when the dang things were part of the hull the designer intended and that's it. No phony stories to get me to buy more junk. You really think carbon fiber honeycomb fins are going to make you surf better? Bet you don't have a clue what the skeg toe in and cant are on your barney rubble pro model are. Or how far off the tail they are set. Those are numbers that really affect the way a board turns, drives, and releases as far as keels go. If I had a nickel for every LB geezer that told me how his turbo tunnel changed his life I could actually get a ticket to Nica to surf with you trustafarians. Then I could learn to surf good enough to tell the difference between injection molded thermo plastic nylon impregnated polyvinl and pressure laminated bi-directional carbon with nomex cored epoxy resin $150 fins.

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Ya'll get sucked into the BS fin thing so easily. Under finned, over finned, fat guy, skinny dude, what's Kelly riding today? I long for the days when the dang things were part of the hull the designer intended and that's it. No phony stories to get me to buy more junk. You really think carbon fiber honeycomb fins are going to make you surf better? Bet you don't have a clue what the skeg toe in and cant are on your barney rubble pro model are. Or how far off the tail they are set. Those are numbers that really affect the way a board turns, drives, and releases as far as keels go. If I had a nickel for every LB geezer that told me how his turbo tunnel changed his life I could actually get a ticket to Nica to surf with you trustafarians. Then I could learn to surf good enough to tell the difference between injection molded thermo plastic nylon impregnated polyvinl and pressure laminated bi-directional carbon with nomex cored epoxy resin $150 fins.
    what, exactly, do you think the fins glassed on to your old, delaminating 90's thruster were made out of? injection molded plastic & nylon? nope...fiberglass (& later, RTM honeycomb & fiberglass)! the reason fin companies started selling injection molded plastic/nylon fins is because they are CHEAP to produce & are LIGHT WEIGHT. that's it. have you looked at the flex pattern of your plastic fins? ever felt like you couldn't get drive out of your board? pop through turns? change your fins, buddy.
    it's so sad/funny to me that people are so on guard against being sold bs that they lash out against the idea that fins make a difference, all the while frothing over the newest ci/lost/firewire/js model...that they're going to put ****ty super flexy fins in. then ***** about how the model sucks b/c it doesn't work for them.

I love Kelly's fins, they really have nice drive to them and you can feel a difference. I ride them in a Wynn biscuit, that 5'9" x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8. I'm 145 lb.