LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    NJsurfer, the reason they started making removable fins was to create a fin market. Sure it makes it a little easier on trips to remove your fins. In the business world though this is creating a market.

Now they have all kinds of different fins. From big to small, aerodynamic, fluidynamic, some that move, whistle, vibrate, glow in the dark etc....
    that's as may be, but i can personally attest that i've learned a **** ton about how fins work & my own surfing from trying different fins in different materials w/ different foils. yes, both futures & fcs market a lot of "jewelry fins" to the masses, but if you cut through that, there's a lot to be gained by being able to change your fins up. i've had boards that absolutely SUCKED w/ the fins the shaper recommended for it or that it came w/ & then became magic for me w/ a different set. if those had been glassed on, i'd have sold or traded those boards inside of 6 months.
    also, you can't be serious in asserting that the same fin is going to work for a kid who is 130lbs as a guy who is 200lbs, can you? do you really think rob machado & pancho sullivan had the same fins glassed on their boards in the early 90s?

Yes I'm serious serious.

Fins have very little to do with what your weight is. You guys up north throw on 50lbs of rubber suits, hoods and booties and then think the material your fins are made of are going to make a difference in your surfing ability?!

Whether a pro weighs 120lbs or 175lbs due to their years or experience and surfing abilities they know that a larger fin creates more drive and speed and also holds the board to the face of the wave better. Very rarely do they use anything different unless they are being paid to do so. As you can see in the articles you posted its so rare that they write articles about it when they do!

I've been in the surf industry for over 25 years and have shaped boards for over 20 of those years. I've been to the surf expos and have sat in sales meetings with futures,fcs and listened to sales pitches every year of every new fin they have ever come out with or invented.

This is what they hope for and market toward. Guys who think every fin they come out is going to make a difference in their surfing. They know that if they pay Dane Reynolds to use some hokey concoction of a fin and get a picture of him doing an aerial that they will sell thousands of them despite how they actually work!

If you think it makes a difference then go for it! That's all that counts...

I've been in the surf industry for over 25 years and have shaped boards for over 20 of those years. I've been to the surf expos and have sat in sales meetings with futures,fcs and listened to sales pitches every year of every new fin they have ever come out with or invented.
    an easy claim to make anonymously. put up or shut up...what do you ride?

also, re-read my post (or any on fins, really)...nowhere have i claimed that the "latest, greatest" is something to go for. i've been saying that the "jewelry fins" that most companies market are mostly bs. but the difference between injection molded plastic & solid fiberglass can't be ignored. THAT'S what i'm getting at.

Truth is a good standard larger size fin (not too big) something around a g-7 is going to be the best set up for the typical surfer. This size fin creates more drive and speed.
    PC7’s work great for me on big days, I’m 6’2” and weigh 195-200ish. PC3’s, not so much. My little sister, who weighs 120-130, she loves PC3s; if you threw a PC7 in her SB, I bet she’d have a time turning it.

Have to agree with Garbanzobean.... most of you would never know the difference if your fins were switched out and replaced with something different.
    I surf 5-6-7 days a week and easily get in over 250+ days a year and have done so, except for a brief stint working for a StartUp in Austin, for years. I have a lot of surfboards, enough that my double digit quiver ranging from 5'9" - 10'1" causes friction with the Mrs. I can absolutely tell the differences between different fin sizes and construction. The same set of fins feels totally different on two different boards. Glassflex feels differently than fiberglass, which feels differently than hexcore, which feels differently than carbon fiber. Glass flex fins absolutely suck. If you can't tell the difference after surfing for 25 years, I'm surprised. I do agree with you in that most people who surf can’t feel the differences, but that’s because most people don’t ride the same board everyday, 20 days in a row. When you do, subtle differences become very apparent. That and most people in the water can barely surf.

You can use three, four, five or even one fin but what works best is three. Once again, do a fin count on the boards used in contests.
    Say what? I mean really? I’m not gonna say that the thruster didn’t change surfing, but to imply that it’s the best fin configuration ever is crazy talk. I like my thrusters. I like my quads and my single fins too, different board designs, different days, different waves. A lot of pros are riding quads in contests these days, it really depends on the conditions. SH!1 Stretch makes a Quad gun, Steve Lis makes giant Quad longboards, Frye is still making single fin winter magics, Greg Griffin is making five fin mod fishes, Von Sol's whole line-up seems built around the Quad (it's what I see Matteson riding when I've see him in the water) and Hynson is making whatever he wants. Are you gonna go and tell those guys that they’re doing it wrong? "

AL MERRICK CHANNEL ISLANDS RETRO QUAD SURFBOARD 6'7"

Great condition Retro Quad from Channel Islands, 6'7" length. Water tight, no delam. These boards are rare. The Retro Quad is an exact copy of Al's personal 1982 four fin. Stated by Al to be one of his favorite boards of all-time, this design is for those looking for a different approach. Quad fin setup and deep panel vee tail makes it suitable for larger surf. Be ready for Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    an easy claim to make anonymously. put up or shut up...what do you ride?
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Nov 19, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    ...Glass flex fins absolutely suck...
    I actually like glass flex. They're made really well...about as close to perfect molding as you're ever going to find. I still ride them in my FCS board because they fit more flush (less gaps) and don't have the inconsistencies I've found in the hand sanded performance core. They surf well - other than they weigh a little more, I can't find much fault in them. I agree that even future's new thermotech are plastic slop, but fcs glass flex are good sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    AL MERRICK CHANNEL ISLANDS RETRO QUAD SURFBOARD 6'7"

Great condition Retro Quad from Channel Islands, 6'7" length. Water tight, no delam. These boards are rare. The Retro Quad is an exact copy of Al's personal 1982 four fin. Stated by Al to be one of his favorite boards of all-time, this design is for those looking for a different approach. Quad fin setup and deep panel vee tail makes it suitable for larger surf. Be ready for Winter.
    damn...that board looks fun as ****! too bad it's 6'7"

I am not a pro surfer nor have ever been paid to ride a surfboard. I surf 3 days per week on average, in weak to decent surf, on longboards, fishes, and shortboards. Fins make a difference. Stiffer equals faster and more hold. Smaller equals less hold, easier to turn and less control. Flexible equals more snap off turns, but too flexible equals more drag equals going too slow to make sections. These basic truths are self evident, and not all fins are created equal. I guarantee any of you condescending know it alls that if you go out on a good day (Shoulder to head high plus, clean, with sets and waves that break pretty much the same) and try two different sets of fins on the same board you will feel the difference. Don't even try to argue because you will look stupid.

Do any of you old guys remember an article and pic in surfer/surfing mag where a guy(I think Hawaiian) glassed fins on the entire bottom of his board and started snapping them off one at a time until the board actually began to work?

I've searched and exhausted my google foo powers looking for it but I think it was sometime in the early-mid 80's when quads started hitting the scene.

I will admit that fin placement relative to the tail and each other is very important ( and tricky ). They should make boards with 9 different fin plugs/configurations with adjustable cant ( from 0 degrees to 9 degrees ) just to drive everyone totally nuts.

Well Gee, that was more responses than I could ever had hoped for! I'm happy that started a nice healthy debate haha.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    to the OP...you said the board felt good out in CA. well, what fins were you using out there? sounds like a good starting point to me.
    IMO, i think the K2.1/WCT fin is too small for you. you'd benefit a LOT from a slightly bigger fin. the AM-2 is my go-to fin for futures, regardless of the brand of board i'm riding.......if you want something more upright & pivoty, the MB-2 is a good choice.
    I used Vector IIs in Cali. I didn't get to surf the board enough to really feel the fins out since I was just getting a feeling for the board as well. Plus, while I am becoming a much better surfer, I have not put in enough time, such as 25 years like some of the other posters, where I would be able to notice a huge difference. I just need a good set of fins so I am not using crap plastic ones, and I figured I would get some of your guys' opinions so that I could get a good overall fin that would work.

However, as far as people saying there isn't much of a difference or that weight doesn't play that much of a factor.. I think that's ridiculous. I've slipped out enough on bottom turns to see that the type of fins you have play a big role. And using simple logic... it makes perfect sense that a 200lbs. surfer laying into a bottom turn is going to put a lot more force on the fins than a 140 lbs. surfer.

I looked up the dims since that's all I have to go by (unless I start that fin fanatics program...)
    Am-2

SIDE
    - Height: 4.73"
    - Base: 4.64"
    - Area: 15.98"
    CENTER
    - Height: 4.49"
    - Base: 4.64"
    - Area: 15.32"

Am-1

- Height: 4.56"
    - Base: 4.50"
    - Area: 14.84"

WCT

FRONT
    - Height: 4.50"
    - Base: 4.37"
    - Area: 14.89"
    REAR
    - Height: 4.35"
    - Base: 4.25"
    - Area: 14.10"

MB-2

- Height: 4.65"
    - Base: 4.50"
    - Area: 15.47"

YU

SIDE
    - Height: 4.59"
    - Base: 4.45"
    - Area: 14.91"
    CENTER
    - Height: 4.44"
    - Base: 4.25"
    - Area: 13.30"

All these opinions make it tough to make a decision. Some say most will benefit with bigger fins for drive and speed, and a lot are saying fins like the am-2s are too big (I posted this on another forum as well). I like the am-2s, but I don't like how rakey they are.. I don't want long drawn out turns for the waves I'll be surfing this board in.

The vector IIs were a lot smaller than I thought, and I remember from a couple turns in Cali where I slipped out without expecting it (maybe it's the board), so I did want a little more hold. Although I'm not definite, I think I might end up getting the WCTs with them having a little bit more area than the vector IIs and the flat foil is a good medium apparently.

However, I do like how the MB-2s have more surface area so it'll be a bigger fin which a lot of you say most surfers will benefit from, but they are also 'upright and pivoty', which I am looking for. Aaaaaand, the Am-1s seem similar to the WCTs, but they have inside foil which is apparently good for pumping for speed (which I'll be doing a lot of in the NJ waves I'll be surfin the beard in..)

Thanks for all the help everybody.

PS. Nobody's feelin the Roberts eh?