LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Thank you sir, appreciate that. Just a couple random thoughts...bees, deer, and cows cause more annual human fatalities than all of the aforementioned predators...cougars, another species that used to be continent wide that imo has no reason to be hunted as of now(I admittedly don't know the numbers, but nothing beyond 'management' of problem animals)...you can't make an omlette w/out breaking a few eggs, and if a few humans get harvested in the backcountry at the expense of a healthy ecosystem, I'm not gonna lose any sleep. Bottom line wherever you are, know what's there, know the risks, and proceed accordingly, if that's too much to handle, keep your ass home on the couch...and these guys that claim the wolves are putting that much of a burden on the elk/moose/deer populations, I tend to think it's exaggerated, and I also highly doubt that the majority of wolf tags went to guys that are truly depending on elk for survival...

I found a 9" long turd in the woods once, thick as a hot dog, full of deer fur. Never saw coyote scat of that size, and a random cougar was hit in the highway in CT a little over a year ago, makes me wonder.

The History/Discovey/NatGeo channels- (tin foil hat time) A while ago when I still had cable and watched tv, there were some great shows on these channels...how the earth was made, the universe, can't recall anymore by name, but great shows on natural history(for lack of a better all encompassing term). Shows that conveyed the ancient-ness and awesomeness of this planet we live on. Well, I was migrating w/ my pack last night, taking in the moon, and contemplating the regression of these channels, which for the most part, now are pure garbage w/ the occassional decent show(from what i can gather from my intermittent voyages into the great big festering neon distraction)...swamp loggers, this loggers, that loggers, yukon women, pawn stars(?????), buying alaska, etc, etc...which now portay the natural world as merely something to exploit and to be feared(pretty puritanical)...are they preparing the populace for the final assault on the natural world??? I know, I'm delusional, but remember, nature bats last.
    Mornin Seldom,
    The turd you saw may have been a feral dog which is a domestic dog gone wild. The debate about Mountain Lions in PA and NJ, although cooled off recently, was big topic of discussion in hunter and outdoor news. Lots of people claiming eyewitness sightings but no physical proof until some kid in the suburbs of Philly video taped one. It was a Mountain Lion but it had escaped from an illegal game preserve.
    Those game preserves are where a bunch of rich people pay to hunt exotic (Lions, Big Horn Sheep, Boar, etc) and non-native species of game right here in NJ and PA. It's not hunting, it basically killing a wild animal in a controlled environment. One day, I'm going to hunt the rich a$$-hats that do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChavezYChavez View Post
    One day, I'm going to hunt the rich a$$-hats that do this.
    Another threat of murder. Where's the moderator?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChavezYChavez View Post
    Mornin Seldom,
    The turd you saw may have been a feral dog which is a domestic dog gone wild. The debate about Mountain Lions in PA and NJ, although cooled off recently, was big topic of discussion in hunter and outdoor news. Lots of people claiming eyewitness sightings but no physical proof until some kid in the suburbs of Philly video taped one. It was a Mountain Lion but it had escaped from an illegal game preserve.
    Those game preserves are where a bunch of rich people pay to hunt exotic (Lions, Big Horn Sheep, Boar, etc) and non-native species of game right here in NJ and PA. It's not hunting, it basically killing a wild animal in a controlled environment. One day, I'm going to hunt the rich a$$-hats that do this.
    Top o' the marin to you sir,
    yeah that turd was so startling to me that I had to go back with a ruler and take pics...I'm no scat expert but you could tell it was a good sized meat eating critter. Agreed wholeheartedly on the game preserves, not real hunting, and poses potential serious problems. The hunt you mention would be worthwhile.
    The mountain lion issue definitely interests me. A lady I used to work with, avid backpacker/outdoors person, told me she saw a cougar chasing a black bear on the Long Trail in VT...and she knew what she was talking about cuz the first thing she mentioned was the size/long tail. Was in northern ME and heard of sightings on the dept of fish and game radio channel...makes me wonder if there's a few stragglers in the Adks, northern Apps, etc. Either way, definitely don't wanna cross paths with one of those guys.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    That's more of a daydreaming statement than a threat no?

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    what a tattle tale b!tch
    the moderator will judge what is a reasonable issue and what isn't, he doesn't need the class b!tch to cry about it

survival of the fittest.

not reading these 10 pages of *****ing and moaning. wolves are not dogs. they will literally rip your face off and **** on your remains. they are a threat to any outdoorsman and should be treated with the upmost caution. disagree? go try to feed a hungry pack. please share your results.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Not sure how it's years behind when this is the second season this has been going down, w/ the same justification for purpose. And I didn't compare wolves to sharks.
    Seldom Seen,

Didn't mean to sound off as a smart a$$ just the comparison of wolves & sharks my own (sic) satire

You're right the about the 2 year season so will fill in some of the blanks for you of the prior 10 years as it was a difficult journey to say the least.

Dept of Interior introduced Wolves mating pairs in the Rocky Mountain States around 1993-1995. Then early 2002-2003 wildlife data (stock counts) were decreasing much faster over previous years (pre-wolves). The high morality rate of Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail deer etc drew concerns of Game Management, Ranchers and Outfitters. Cattle Ranchers were also experiencing higher losses too. Wolves not like coyotes prey on much larger animals in the food chain. So if higher morality rates of wildlife off spring fall victim to wolf predation then life cycle of wildlife future stocks are interrupted. So during this time span Wolves were Federal Protected so all parties affected by increased predation were impendent to off set the losses. A rancher in Wyoming inspecting his cattle herd found 3 dead calf's then off in the distance saw the wolf who preyed on his cattle. The Ranchers shot the wolf then drove it many miles away from the scene and buried it. The Rancher fate was sealed, the Wolfe was wearing a satellite neck collar the Feds used to track wolves migration. When the Feds observed lack of movement they located the buried wolf with its GPS tracking devise. The Rancher was charged Federally killing an "in danger ed specie". This sent shock waves through the "Rockies" Ranching industry. who by now had enough. So from around 2005 through 2010 "parties" sought relief through the Federal Courts to stop the wolf re-introduction program and De-List wolves off the Endangered Species list. The Plaintiffs were successful except HSUS million dollar war chest filed "injunctions" and were granted "stays" of lower court ruling. So after 5 years of battling with HSUS in the courts the "science" prevailed to allow State's the ability to manage harvest (hunting season) for wolves IE (removal off protection list).

I followed this "case" as comparison of another similar project at the time. HSUS is a tough opponent with deep pockets that infuriated Rocky Mountain Regional interests. I was attending another Hearing, that HSUS was a Plaintiff, the only good word for Wayne, President of HSUS, his Chief Lobbyist was "breathtaking", she was a beauty, no wonder this thing dragged out so long, you couldn't get enough of her.

Images
    All good Goofy Footer, no offense taken. I appreciate the details leading up to the current situation. And while I'll say it begrudgingly, I do understand the need to manage populations. That being said, I do not support de-listing and I do not trust the intentions or integrity of a lot of these guys that end up with tags...case in point the guy that just shot a man's malamute multiple times while he was walking it, and it was leashed. I fear the lynch mob mentality behind all of this.

Images
    I wanted to quote myself to try to be like NZSM. Not really, just wanted to re-post this link, it's the guy whose mal was killed while he was walking it.

The thread is going in circles by people who can't handle that someone has different values/opinions/beliefs than them. We have different values. You people choose to live in a delusional/hypocritcal world where animals are above people, so people can't defend themselves from animals, but it's ok if the animals kill people. And they deserve the death penalty. Oh and at the same time, other types of non predatory animals are fine to be slaughtered by people.
    My mom is more important than my dog, but your mom is less important than dogs. That kind of sums it up. Oh and the discussion is about wolves, not dogs or prehistoric animals....wtf?
    It's the Lunatic fringe.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 19, 2013 at 05:58 PM.