LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Surf Culture in the Mainstream?

Hi my name is Stephanie and I would like to get feedback on surfers portrayed in the mainstream for my research project.
    My following questions
    What draws surfers into thier own special water world? Is it the fact that society doesn't aprrove all aspects of surfing that leads to the "deviance" into adulthood? Is surfing mainstream? Is it just the socially acceptable parts of the culture mainstream or the non-socially acceptable part mainstream as a means to exploit?
    Your answers to the questions will be much appreciated. Thank you!

The act of surfing is non dependent on any perception by society. Read Miki Dora if you want to know about surfing and how media has exploited the sport/art/sub-culture.

Surfing is the act of riding a wave. It is neither deviant or rebellious. It is simply riding a wave.

Images
    Yeah damn... surfing isn't anything about being a devient, or being mainstream, or any of that BS. Surfing is what surfing does.

I think some people might be initially drawn into surfing perhaps for the reasons you stated, but people soon realize that it's not what surfing is all about. Once you've ridden your fair share of waves, and gotten pummeled into the sand on numerous occasions, there is something different that draws you back to the ocean.

Honestly, I personally cannot understand it. I wish I could. But I just feel mentally addicted to the ocean in a surreal way. The thought of ever living inland makes me cringe, and I am basically trying to shape my life around the ocean, and love for surfing.

There is no REAL surf culture in the main stream.

I dont get how it leads to "deviance in adulthood" i know Doctors, teachers, mom's, dad's, preachers, all kinds of people who surf.

Listen to sisurf and read "All for a few perfect waves" there's a good viewpoint to write your report on.

Steph,

Check the thread named 'Hello.' Then get back with us in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Steph,

Check the thread named 'Hello.' Then get back with us in a few weeks.
    That's 100% on the money. Look at the utility that thread can serve for SI long-term.

Steph,

I'm a 45 yr old father of two with a mortgage and a real job with a major chemical company. I'm about the least deviant dork you'll ever know, but I still caught a few fun ones yesterday. I've heard the surfing vs guitar player analogy. The guitars come in all different sizes and shapes and the people who play them all have a little different sound. Surfers range from drug addicts to PhDs who ride everything from a mini simmons' to an old school longboard.

I think the need or drive to surf comes from an adrenaline gene and then is fueled by some type of endorphin release. The experience is like a drug.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
    Steph,

I'm a 45 yr old father of two with a mortgage and a real job with a major chemical company. I'm about the least deviant dork you'll ever know, but I still caught a few fun ones yesterday. I've heard the surfing vs guitar player analogy. The guitars come in all different sizes and shapes and the people who play them all have a little different sound. Surfers range from drug addicts to PhDs who ride everything from a mini simmons' to an old school longboard.

I think the need or drive to surf comes from an adrenaline gene and then is fueled by some type of endorphin release. The experience is like a drug.
    Definitely feels like a drug... Rolling up to the beach seeing my spot going offffffff. I don't even have to touch the water, just staring at a firing beach break gets me all hot and bothered.

Hi Stephanie. Thanks for your questions.

To be honest, the most knowledgeable member of our forum goes by the name "MakeItStop".

He will be able to answer all of your questions in depth; he is a legend that lives in Hawaii. Just send him a PM (Private Message), and make SURE to include a picture of yourself, so that he knows you're not a spammer. Otherwise he won't respond.

Good luck!

in this video it is all explained.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx3iJeqBXJY