LOGIN | REGISTER

is del mar 15th street a beach break or reef break

I am traveling to del mar staying at 15th street over chrismas eve. I plan to surf there. I have never been there is it safe to just jump in or is there a reef below.?

I used to live on Stratford Ct, which is the street that runs parallel to the water in Del Mar. 15th's a mellow break, you'll be fine. Unless there's a rip-current that pulls the sand off the rocks, it's a sand bottom and acts like a beach break. Underneath the loose sand is the same sandstone that the cliffs are made of. In other words it's not sharp, but it is rock. Go farther south towards Del Mar Heights Rd. and there's sandstone interspersed with harder rocks, hence the "Del Mar Reefs".

Are things picking up this week out there? My buds said it's been a flat week or so.

Images
    it's been pretty small but things are gonna get bigger for a storm on thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Cski707 View Post
    I am traveling to del mar staying at 15th street over chrismas eve. I plan to surf there. I have never been there is it safe to just jump in or is there a reef below.?
    Its been real small besides the 1 day Thanksgiving swell. At 15th St, even if its OH its super mushy and fat so you'll need a bigger board

Howdy
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Dec 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

hola