LOGIN | REGISTER

Threaded View

...Lost "Couch Potato" / a review

SIZE / CONST: I'm 6 ft/180 lbs, riding a 5'8" Couch Potato (top end of the recommended sizes for my weight). Mine is stock standard poly and it came with Future Seaworthy (Controller) fins. I've ridden it a solid 16 days, so figured I might be somewhat qualified to review it.

PROS: The CP isn't thick, boaty or corky and, even at 36.5 liters vol, mine duck dives fairly easy. It's rails are relatively thin and grab easy. The nose isn't "beaky" and swing weight is manageable (more so than the Bottom Feeder, imo).

Overall, mine is a little on the heavier side, but that might be a pro on this design (weight carries momentum and cuts chop). I love my CP's ability to connect sections and nose ride all the way to the beach, yet still do small, shortboard-esque maneuvers along the way. It's "different", with very little familiarity to my snappy hybrids.

CONS: Lost describes the CP as "fun and easy"...which could also be translated as compromised performance and lack of versatility. It rides best in fatter, waist high waves (not too mushy), but might function up to head high as long as the wave is slopey.

I'm not that strong a paddler and, unfortunately, my CP doesn't paddle as well as I expected. Trying to catch anything under waist high mush is almost as difficult as a standard hybrid shortboard. The CP's "rocker" is so flat, a wave needs to be on the chubbier side to avoid pearling or catching a rail.

Despite the round nose and the widest point way forward (at dead center), it really doesn't get in early...so don't think you can get away with taking the CP out in punchy/dumping waves (you will get pitched). However, you're still going to need a relatively jacked up takeoff or peak to get this craft going...it doesn't catch rolley, unbroken waves or shoulders like a longboard can.

There's zero flip in the nose, so, even when just paddling, keeping the nose out of water is extra difficult (that is, in anything other than glass). Furthermore, you have to skooch way up on the nose to get the best paddle out of the CP (top of your head literally inches from the nose).

At 22 inches, my board isn't extremely wide, but the 17+" tail is. Most of the sensitivity to turns (I've grown used to on my pulled in thrusters) is absent...especially toeside. Getting my CP on rail is not effortless nor "front footed".

RIDE
    : "Nose rides" are stable/smooth and, if you crank on the tail, it'll throw buckets. However, no matter what fins installed, this design mainly wants to trim.

The CP is not "crazy fast", but it's fast enough. You'll still need to pump the board for any real speed (assuming the wave and fin choice even allow for that).

FINS: Of all the fins I tried, the Seaworthy's minimal drag from their swept back shape gives them the best glide in any size wave...however, they don't turn very sensitively on this tail shape. I can do cutbacks, bottom turns and lippers with them, but these maneuvers are sluggish and take more effort than I'd like. They'll also let the board go vert...eventually (but, of course, the CP's lack of rocker can make re-entries super sketchy). I had a hard time getting the board to pump for speed with the Seaworthies, but they still perform little maneuvers even if a wave dwindles down to ankle high.

More upright front fins make this board higher performance...but only in the mid-higher end of it's wave size range. With T1 fronts + the Seaworthy trailers, it turned more responsively. I could easily pump up the speed and do tight, rail skashing turns with them. This'll probably be my "go to" fin setup on this board...even though, when a wave gets really small, they cease to perform as well as the full Seaworthy set.

With the 5 box "convertible", I also tried just the T1 twins + TT1 center trailer (no quad rears) and the board acted really bizarre...at times, not turning at all. So far, the quad trailers appear necessary for this board to turn smoothly and consistently.

Not sure why Mayhem added a 5th box on this shape. If the waves require more "bite" than as a big finned quad, the CP probably isn't the board you should be using...for that matter, I don't think this design really needs a leash plug, either.

CONCLUSION
    : It's a fun board, in it's own way. It doesn't "rip" as well or easily as hybrid fishes I've had, but the CP has good qualities they don't...and it's for a smaller wave, anyhow. Riding waves all the way through the inside is kinda "my thing" (and not all hybrids are always able to do that) but I dislike the "stiffness" of longer boards.

The CP will glide all the way to the inside on almost any wave, but, unless you're a paddling machine, don't think you're gonna paddle it into ankle-knee high mush like a longboard. As far as paddling, it can't compete with a longboard, but, once on the wave, will out-maneuver them. The CP might fill the small niche just above the longboard or funboard, but below a hybrid/stub.

for-forum-1.jpgfor-forum-3.jpgfor-forum-2.jpg
    Last edited by waterbaby; Dec 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Since this review, it appears Lost has revised this shape to include a quick flip in the first 3" of the nose...Matt listens