LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

folly beach v wrightsville beach

ok so going of to college next year out of south florida. two schools I'm considering are near folly beach and wrightsville beach. Obviously I know that i'm \"not going to college to surf,\" as my parents have told me many times, but I mean, it's not like I'm going to college to not surf... <br /><br />So I'm wondering how the swells are in Wrighsville beach, NC and in Folly Beach, SC. I check the surf reports a lot and it seems like it very rarely gets much more than stomach high at best.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ftl95 View Post
    ok so going of to college next year out of south florida. two schools I'm considering are near folly beach and wrightsville beach. Obviously I know that i'm \"not going to college to surf,\" as my parents have told me many times, but I mean, it's not like I'm going to college to not surf... <br /><br />So I'm wondering how the swells are in Wrighsville beach, NC and in Folly Beach, SC. I check the surf reports a lot and it seems like it very rarely gets much more than stomach high at best.
    Wrightsville. They have a better window. Folly is the best spot in SC, but wrightsville gets much better, more often. And you have CB and a bunch of other options. Folly is about it around there.

Images
    Hands down Wrightsville...the vibe in Wilmington and at UNCW are WAY different than in Charleston. Wilmington has a cooler vibe than chucktown plus there are a variety of surf spots between WB and CB and its more consistent.

Mid-Atlantic regionals are in Folly this year, and I'm REALLY glad I have a hyper-groveler for them...

Images
    Also, the water is a bit warmer down in Folly for the school year, but the "crystal coast" has incredible visibility and serene water in comparison. All of SC suffers from warm doo doo water because of all the intercoastal water ways.

Images
    dude definitely folly brah. its always 13 foot and barreling
    #follybarrels
    #itsalwayssunnyinfolly.

but in all honesty ive herd great things about Wilmington, but it will probably have more crowds at wb but the outer banks are not far at all. there are always some secret spots in the north if you got a boat.

What about Ocean City, MD vs Wrightsville? Wave wise, not Salisbury vs UNCW

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brode View Post
    What about Ocean City, MD vs Wrightsville? Wave wise, not Salisbury vs UNCW
    ocmd is a good spot to be imo but get way colder than the south and more heavy then carolina beach breaks. well Maryland is almost south.

Ive surfed all three. Folly warmer but mediocre. WB decent but crowded. OCMD decent but cold. I love the Cryatsal Coast though. Specially the less used spots like g-- ---nts. good luck finding that if you've never been.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Wrightsville. They have a better window. Folly is the best spot in SC, but wrightsville gets much better, more often. And you have CB and a bunch of other options. Folly is about it around there.
    Folly isn't the only spot here. We have to get past that uninformed opinion that seems to be the norm on here. We have 3 islands within a short drive, and 2 have very similar waves. Both Folly and IOP have almost the same size. They both have spots with steep waves, and also spots with long gentle waves. Aside from the two main islands, you can take a longer drive and hit Kiawah, which actually does have some decent surf at times. If you have a boat, there are spots on a few of the uninhabited islands near by. You should come up sometime and really explore the area. Folly is overated. Fun waves can be had there, but the same can be found around CHS in much less crowded spots.
    That said, WB is way more consistent. I assume the OP is talking about CofC. Not really the best school, but CHS has a wonderful girl to guy ratio. Also, our restaurant/beer scene is way better than anything you will find on the NC coast. If you just want to surf, I would pick WB.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Dec 29, 2013 at 09:30 AM.