LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by goofy footer View Post
    X2

    Many NS locals commented the Sandy Relief project of 500,000 cubic yards ruined NS for ever, it would never come back after finally working again when Sandy pulled off the finer Dune sand last October. It only took one Nor'easter in September pulling enough sand to create a shallow bar again. I'll agree not as good as it was so hope winter storms will add to mother nature's work in progress. The major factor for this early success is high percentage of medium and finer sand dredged from the IRI. Many times we're unfavorable of Army Corp projects but this time they as well as the contractor Manson really delivered what SR was hoping for in the end. The Delaware Chapter of Surfrider has been actively engaged in this project to restore NS including monitoring the sand sample data of dredged material. Mitchell has commented many times dredging finer sand improves Surfability of beaches and he's 100% correct. NS will continue to be monitored although we're pleased with the early results.

    While we're on the topic; 330 feet of the Northside Jetty was repaired from the sidewalk eastward so future sand loss through the Jetty hopefully will be eliminated that was a major factor of sand retention for the Designated Surfing Beach.

    The Delaware Chapter of Surfrider has been active for nearly 2 years restoring surfing of our Delaware Beaches. We're seeing some successes of our efforts while sadly the surfing community has been reluctant to support the Chapter's efforts. Maybe its just me but if an organization of volunteers was diligently striving to improve my surfing certainly would be worth a $25.00 membership to show support.
    Great input, I will join today. I believe in that kind of stuff. Thanks,

  2. #12
    As will I, have only surfed Delaware a handful of times the last couple years because it's been so sh!tty, but if I can help to bring back breaks, I'm all for it.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rehoboth
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post
    Great input, I will join today. I believe in that kind of stuff. Thanks,
    As will I, have only surfed Delaware a handful of times the last couple years because it's been so sh!tty, but if I can help to bring back breaks, I'm all for it

    Thanks Nick & Koki Barrels


    Your comments are appreciate as we're building membership one member at a time, it all adds up

    Stay tune to Chapter monthly meeting dates on facebook

    http://delaware.surfrider.org/


    The Chapter web site is near completion

  4. #14
    As previously stated, I would rather see the effect an artificial reef would have. They are extremely expensive but so is beach "replenishment".

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Brode View Post
    So as we all know we don't have a lot of point breaks/beach structure around here, just long stretches of beach.(Im mostly talking about MD/DE)

    The few jetties/inlets we have are usually pretty crowded when they're working. Obviously, jetties are perfect to block current and wind offering some nice setups.
    On another note they also offer beach protection against strong storms which would save us from wasting our tax dollars on beach replenishment.

    SO what I'm curious about is how we could pitch to a local municipality, or whoever, to give the OK for some trial jetties. There are already some existing burried jetties that could be built up in OCMD like 8th St and 94th St. Also in Delaware there are stretches of unpopulated beach south of Rehoboth and then again south of Bethany to Fenwick which would be perfect. Just think if we could mimic multiple setups similar to the naval jetty!

    I think we would all agree that it would be awesome to have more options when it comes to surf breaks to thin out the crowds. Anyone have any decent ideas? Petitions or funding proposals?

    Its just a bunch of big rocks on the beach right?!

    Follow the money.

    It may be unoriginal, but it sure as he!l is true.

    Meaning, those coastal communities don't give a rat's patootie about anything but revenue. Ergo, if you can quantify the level of revenue that surfers chunk out in those lovely beachy communities, you'd have a shot at constructing those jetties, piers, man-made breaks, et. al.

    Every surfer I know:
    has a good-paying job
    buys expensive gear for his passion/sport/hobby
    stays in hotels to surf
    travels to surf
    buys lots of food & beverages when surfing
    hits surf shops when surfing
    and more

    Meaning, surfing adds up to consistently large expenditures by humans to the local beach community if the locale has surfable waves. And when we're talkin' expendable revenue, we're talkin' retail sales taxes for local municipalities. And tax rev is all those elected pr!cks care about.

    My 2 cents.
    Last edited by yankee; Dec 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    1,013
    Images
    954
    If you want to see how debunked the myth of jetties is, look no further than the disparity between the shoreline of Ocean City and Assateague NP, which were once one and the same shoreline.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,449
    Images
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    If you want to see how debunked the myth of jetties is, look no further than the disparity between the shoreline of Ocean City and Assateague NP, which were once one and the same shoreline.
    Yeah its pretty amazing how drastic the erosion on Assateague has been - caused by the Inlet jetties. The Corps has know about this for decades and has dredged a lot of sand onto Assateague for as long as I've been surfing there, but I was always curious how they do it.

    Here is a pretty lousy quality video by the Army Corps of Engineers explaining the OC Inlet/Assateague dredging process. Wouldn't you think with their dredging budget, they could afford a couple bucks to but a decent camera?

    A bit ironic how the Corps themselves in this video make a distinction between this kind of dredging that feeds the sand naturally into the sandbar system, vs. typical beach nourishment method which builds an unnaturally tall and steep beachface.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJGeRJM-cyQ
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by goofy footer View Post
    X2

    Many NS locals commented the Sandy Relief project of 500,000 cubic yards ruined NS for ever, it would never come back after finally working again when Sandy pulled off the finer Dune sand last October. It only took one Nor'easter in September pulling enough sand to create a shallow bar again. I'll agree not as good as it was so hope winter storms will add to mother nature's work in progress. The major factor for this early success is high percentage of medium and finer sand dredged from the IRI. Many times we're unfavorable of Army Corp projects but this time they as well as the contractor Manson really delivered what SR was hoping for in the end. The Delaware Chapter of Surfrider has been actively engaged in this project to restore NS including monitoring the sand sample data of dredged material. Mitchell has commented many times dredging finer sand improves Surfability of beaches and he's 100% correct. NS will continue to be monitored although we're pleased with the early results.

    While we're on the topic; 330 feet of the Northside Jetty was repaired from the sidewalk eastward so future sand loss through the Jetty hopefully will be eliminated that was a major factor of sand retention for the Designated Surfing Beach.

    The Delaware Chapter of Surfrider has been active for nearly 2 years restoring surfing of our Delaware Beaches. We're seeing some successes of our efforts while sadly the surfing community has been reluctant to support the Chapter's efforts. Maybe its just me but if an organization of volunteers was diligently striving to improve my surfing certainly would be worth a $25.00 membership to show support.
    I disagree that people don't support Surfrider's efforts. I think people don't see any noticeable changes taking place. All people see is money being wasted year after year on beach replenishment as well as our breaks being ruined by to much sand being pumped onto the beaches.

    For the record I totally support Surfrider. But if its notoriety you are after then you need to figure out how to fund an artificial reef system. If you did the right campaigning for it with the surfing community the money would POUR in to support the creation of more surf breaks.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,449
    Images
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Brode View Post
    I disagree that people don't support Surfrider's efforts. I think people don't see any noticeable changes taking place. All people see is money being wasted year after year on beach replenishment as well as our breaks being ruined by to much sand being pumped onto the beaches.
    I agree the most obvious thing we all see is the endless sand pumping. But look a bit deeper at what the Delaware and OCMD Chapters have done just in the past ten years:

    The Delaware Chapter played a critical role in turning around a surf spot that was about 90% on its way to extinction. Pretty clutch in a state with so few surfing options. That place would be done and gone now if the groin replacement hadn't been done and the DE Chapter fought for it, and took a LOT of heat from the enviros. Thanks to them we now either have a place to surf or a place to b!tch about, depending on the day.

    Fought for, and got, commitments from the Army Corps of Engineers to consider surfing impacts and use suitable material on this year's beach fill at Indian River Inlet. Time will tell, but the Environmental Assessment for the NSIRI beachfill actually states that impacts on an important surfing area is one of the potential impacts of the project, and steps are being taken in the choice of material to minimize or eliminate long term negative impacts on surfing. Its the first time I've ever seen a beachfill EA mention surfing impacts, and I think the pressure by the Delaware Chapter is the only reason they considered it and wrote it into the EA.

    The OCMD Chapter got the Inlet designated as a (weekday) surfing only beach about 10 years ago. Man I've scored a lot of fun summer sessions since that spot was opened up. I am convinced the OC Chapter is the ONLY reason City Council ever even thought about doing it in the first place.

    I think its a pretty decent track record, but yeah they are small victories in a war we are losing.
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 8, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rehoboth
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    If you want to see how debunked the myth of jetties is, look no further than the disparity between the shoreline of Ocean City and Assateague NP, which were once one and the same shoreline.
    You're going back in Time, OC & Berlin was once connected until unnamed 1933 Hurricane created the OC Inlet then North/South Jetties erected in 1934 (4 years earlier than IRI Jetties) The North OC Jetty have seen several repairs and extensions over its many years. OC sand long shore drift is north to south so sand migration covered up the jetty so they raised the height and extended its length. Because sand travels north to south OC Inlet interrupted sand flow to AI as IRI interrupted sand travel south to north for northside of IRI. Both OC Inlet & IRI have developed Ebb Shoals from tidal flows of sand from interior of the Inlets that acts as a barrier for sand to re-enter long shore transport. This can be observed from the OC Inlet and IRI on larger swells breaking several hundred yards off shore. Both OC & IRI Jetties are only good for the direction of sand flows while opposite side suffers.



    I'm sure remember the earlier days when most paddle across the OC Inlet to AI ......................
    Last edited by goofy footer; Dec 8, 2013 at 01:46 PM.