LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3d fin printing

3d fin printing

The first prototype 3d printed warp Drive fins have been created in ABS and one was tested to destruction, the results showed adequate strength.

http://matrixsurfboards.blogspot.co....net-venus.html

Now we have moved on to stronger polycarbonate material:

http://matrixsurfboards.blogspot.co....le-fin-3d.html

http://clicktotweet.com/7O9XE

Images
    fak off. you nz anti american doosher.

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    fak off. you nz anti american doosher.
    Request declined and I'm not anti American, I just don't like the current government of the USA and their interference in other countries.

This thread's about 3d printing fins, so stay on the topic.

Images
    fine..you antisemitic?? ffs can this make your boards do a proper turn? if so ill buy the hot kurl and turn it into a hawt karl.

what material?
    what printer? maker bot?
    I dont think it can handle the torque. Can it print around a piece of cloth for added strength? or embed some cloth some how?
    Can you print W.A.V.E.S.E.T. fins?
    how much does more it weigh than comparable fins

This does have promise but I don't see it having the strength needed

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    what material?
    what printer? maker bot?
    I dont think it can handle the torque. Can it print around a piece of cloth for added strength? or embed some cloth some how?
    Can you print W.A.V.E.S.E.T. fins?
    how much does more it weigh than comparable fins

This does have promise but I don't see it having the strength needed
    We've tested the weaker ABS version to destruction and the strength is fine, so the polycarbonate should be also.

We are also getting laser sintered titanium versions done and they will be just about indestructible.

The printer has much higher specs than home printers like the maker bot, the chamber is heated to increase strength and eliminate distortion.

By the way printing 'around cloth' would be completely pointless as most of the strength is in the skins and the cloth would be on the neutral axis where it would contribute almost nothing.

W.A.V.E.S.E.T fins can certainly be printed, if I can get hold of one to copy the base and/or foil.

do you have the data to makes FCS fins as well? the picture seems to be showing future fins.

That's a singlefin with tab for a standard box, well be doing FCS tabs also, I have the specs somewhere...

Interesting you decided to go with polycarbonate. Are you glassing over it afterward?

My experience with polycarbonate (non-surfing applications) is that it does have decent strength and flexibility but will break if repeatedly put under stress--and it seems like the break points are somewhat random. It also seems repeated exposure to sunlight, heating and cooling will degrade it pretty quickly. However, my experience with it is in construction applications...