LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +100 for newenglandflatness

Not that I would notice , but having the nub makes sense - stability wise. If you have water channeling up into an empty fin box that's going to create a little more (slight) drag, maybe that equals out to stability in the end but having something more "areodynamic" will improve aspects of the board, probably most notable on bigger sets/steep faces, when the bottom turn is more important. When I feel the back end of my board slide out for no reason in a quad set up, other than my skill level, I wonder if an extra fin would help....but hey any surfing day is a good day

but like some old dude I paddle out with sometimes will say, c'mon man it's just a board and fins,

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    If you take the time to experiment with and dial in different set-ups, then you will notice the differences, even when they're small.
    Pretty much a universal truth right there... in all aspects of board design and construction, not just fins. Thanks, NEflateness. For some people it's a luxury... to have the time, money, materials... to experiment. For some it's just not possible. That's why pro surfers and shapers can offer credible insight into board design... because they have all available resources at their disposal, and make it their life's work to hypothesize, experiment, and refine. So when Slater flashes a Nubster, people pay attention, not because he's their hero, but because he knows what he's talking about.

+1newenglandflatness and +2lbcrew - -totally agree.

i have a milk crate full of both FCS and Futures fins, taking the time/effort to change fins up is rewarding once you find combos that work. you can do things on certain fins that werent possible on others. There truly is a noticeable difference between fin shapes and sizes, the only way to understand what works for you and your board is to experiment

yes,i meant that i'm not that good to notice a difference,and yes I only have it in there because it fills the empty box which bugged me and it looks pretty,so yes when slater made it known to all the world I jumped on it,too,like all the people freaking out over it.he knows how to surf,but his shaping and design is bs to me,and that's the thing I hate about this forum,everyone wholeheartedly agreeing on the stupid volume thing,the stupid mini-simmons thing,how we all need those carbonfiber strips on the rails down by the tail,and the nubster,which I like and use but don't feel a difference because i'm not Kelly slater.i appreciate your kind,respectful argument,but my posts here have not all been identical.lbcrew on the other hand,though you are also kind in your arguments,i am disappointed in you for drinking the Kool-Aid on this one.pros and slater are not god.MP shaped boards no one else could ride and was the best surfer ever at kirra.MR and simon changed surfing forever with their designs,and MR won four in a row.slater shaping and designing,like dane,the other false god of surfing today,are complete novice amateurs in comparison.my understanding is backed by shapers and designers with many more years of experience.for example,those neal purchase jr. widowmaker fins are even smaller and more pointless.those guys all totally rip on them in perfect waves.waste of time for us,and really does nothing but give confidence that is not necessary.hard to explain it all here,but i'm tryin',so there it is,just my strong opinion that the nubster is a ks long beach contest lie.it's too small and does nothing.he and dane could rip on any pos.it won't help up mere mortals.

Greg Griffin makes boards set up for his hand foiled 5-fin setups. I've never ridden one, but a little research shows some people really love it. Usually his center fin is almost as large as the trailers....

I've only experienced a knubster-style fin on my buddy's Eavy-simmons. It has glassed-on wood keels and the "knubster" that Eavy hand foiled for that particular board. I'm not going to say it makes a huge difference as in turning it into a completely different board, but it definitely makes the transitions from rail to rail more predictable without the squirrely feeling Simmons shapes get in the flat part of your transition.

I've been wanting to order some fins from Greg Griffin, but am going to wait until I order my new Coil and get a set specifically for that.

I'll snake the knubster off the Eavy-simmons and put it on my Pier Pony to see if it makes a difference the next time I ride it. It's only got one tab so I can compare it in the front plug and the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbridgesemilocal View Post
    What about 5 full size fcs g-5 fins?
    I think this would feel awfully stiff and wooden unless it's on a board designed for 5 full sized fins (i.e. the Griffen 5-fin mentioned)

As for the nubster, I've never tried one, and cant see doing it on a quad setup. When waves get punchy, I make the switch to a regular tri setup, or to a twin plus trailer.

It might be neat to sub in a nubster instead of the trailer in say a MR twin plus trailer finset. Anyone ever try that?

Lately I'm just so stoked if I can find the time to surf, I could care less what fins I have in :-)

from 5-fin bonzers I've had to the von sol ks long beach nubster I have and the rusty c-5 we're talking 3 completely different 5-fins.it is good to try new things,but a lot of experimentation fails.on the other hand,my friend sticks two big twins in the fronts of a quad and rips it as a twin even though placement is 'wrong.' he's not a normal surfer,though.he's a total freak.

Quote Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
    I think this would feel awfully stiff and wooden unless it's on a board designed for 5 full sized fins (i.e. the Griffen 5-fin mentioned)

As for the nubster, I've never tried one, and cant see doing it on a quad setup. When waves get punchy, I make the switch to a regular tri setup, or to a twin plus trailer.

It might be neat to sub in a nubster instead of the trailer in say a MR twin plus trailer finset. Anyone ever try that?

Lately I'm just so stoked if I can find the time to surf, I could care less what fins I have in :-)
    I have a rocket fish that I tried a FCS trailer with AM-1s on the side, but it had no drive at all. It works alot better with the AM-1s on the side and in the center, or a G3 in the center. (Someone told me to try it out with the FCS twin fin keels and no center fin).

A true MR twinnie would probably be fun with a little trailer on steep bowls. But I kinda like the skatey feeling of a true twin fin or a quad in certain waves, as long as the drop is not too sketchy.

Ugh.
    Listen to newenglandflatness, he has the right idea. As surfers we are all different. Will like different things, and be able to do different things with different set ups. You NEED to try it to know if you'll like it. Sometimes you end up wasting money, sorry sh!t happens. Thats why we have to have jobs.

In my personal opinion, i will never ride a tri fin thruster again as i cant get the desired speed out of them, i can litterally feel them bog out and, in turn, I just dont like them. So in that respect why ruin the whole design of a quad by putting a fin in the extra box? If the empty hole bugs you, they make a plug for it, and you can just throw a sticker over it.

I've never tried the nubster, but just knowing something about fins, and fin set ups it will obviously add more stability, as well as a small amount of drag.